Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Going GF and DF

minnie mouse

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 12:20 am
I tested positive for gluten and dairy sensitivities, and also some nuts. I need lots of advice and help.

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 1:24 am
I am GF and DF for several years, and it is not easy. B"H we discovered The GF Shop, so I can purchase some treats. I bake spelt rolls and challah (which is actually the same thing). I don't prepare special foods for myself, I just eat whatever I can from the meals that I prepare for my family. Brunch is a roll with tuna or eggs, snacks are corn cakes, spelt pretzels or fruits. Supper is chicken, meat or fish with vegetables, potatoes or rice etc.
It is not easy, but more doable than ever before, because you can purchase lots of GF and DF products.
Good Luck.

Happy 2B

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 1:42 am
I'm so confused spelt is not gluten free? Is it?

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 1:47 am
Happy 2B wrote:
I'm so confused spelt is not gluten free? Is it?

For many gluten free people, who are GF due to sensitivities or intolerance, NOT due to allergies, spelt can sometimes be an option, as can oats. For some, even spelt is not good.

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 1:50 am
Spelt is certainly NOT gluten free.
OP-where did you get tested for this? I sometimes want to get tested myself, even though I KNOW I'm gluten sensitive at least, and after discovering this, and encouraging other family members with stomach issues to try to stay off of gluten, they didn't listen to me, but finally a kneseologist told them they were gluten sensitive. I just want to know if there's a normal doctor I can go to.
I don't know about dairy free, but I can tell you that rice noodles are yummy and it's not that difficult once you get the hang of it. Trader Joe's, if there is any around, is a good place to go for breads and some cookies with hechshers. Veggies don't have gluten. Meats, fish, rice, beans, all don't have gluten.
Someone recently posted about cooking a gluten free shavuot and there were a lot of tips in that thread if you can find it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking