Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Nursing home administration

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 8:22 pm
Is there anyone whose husband is a nursing home administrator? Is there schooling required for this? For how long? Where do you start from? If you can share info it would be greatly appreciated!

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 8:26 pm
I have a friend who is a nursing home administrator.

Warning: These jobs are few and far between. Basically, it's a matter of getting "lucky."

Tell your husband to train for something else.

Lani22

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 9:35 pm
My father and brother are nursing home administrators. They both graduated college and my father got a graduate degree in social work which is not necessary but certainly helped. You then need to complete an internship in a nursing home for training. Then you take an exam to get your license. My understanding is that if you had a good internship its not impossible to get a admin position one you get your license.....

OOTBubby

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 9:44 pm
It depends on the state. Here in Illinois, you do not need a degree. My sons are administrators and do not have degrees. There is required coursework and an exam to pass.

And here in Illinois there are jobs to be had. DS (who owns a nursing home management company) hires new administrators regularly as do his colleagues. It is in the NY/NJ area that jobs are hard to get.

Here you start off as an AIT -- administrator in training even before you are licensed and earn a salary doing so (while in NY/NJ you usually don't even get paid as an AIT). Once you're licensed (after all coursework and exam) you can become an administrator at a higher salary.

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:10 pm
Thanks for your responses. What is the salary range while being trained and then once you have your license? How do you go about finding an internship / training job?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics