Home

Asifa...basic summary please?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Ima2NYM_LTR









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 9:07 am       Post subject: Asifa...basic summary please?
Can someone please post, without commentary or personal opinions, a basic summary of last nights event for those of us who didnt listen?

thank you
_________________
~Rebecca
NYM June 2004 Music
LTR June 2009 Lady
"Knowledge works best when shared"
Back to top

happybeingamom









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 10:17 am       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
I am hoping DH gives me info.

I want a summary what each speaker said.

I would like to come to my own conclusion not what others opinions are on it.
Back to top

chocolate chips









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 10:19 am       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
There were many speeches, some in Yiddish some in English.
A few were too long and boring while others were amazing and spoke about the bad internet can do and how we have to be careful and protect our children from such things.
They also spoke about using filters and using them correctly.

Dh said "they should have not focused so much on the over 20 year olds using internet, they are still going to. They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."
He also said the nicest part of the entire evening was the tefila ohl malchus shamayim and the singing as well as a united maariv and yehei shmei raba from 42000 people!
_________________
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Back to top

happybeingamom









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 10:21 am       Post subject: Re: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
chocolate chips wrote:
There were many speeches, some in Yiddish some in English.
A few were too long and boring while others were amazing and spoke about the bad internet can do and how we have to be careful and protect our children from such things.
They also spoke about using filters and using them correctly.

Dh said "they should have not focused so much on the over 20 year olds using internet, they are still going to. They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."
He also said the nicest part of the entire evening was the tefila ohl malchus shamayim and the singing as well as a united maariv and yehei shmei raba from 42000 people!


I would have loved to see that!
Back to top

curlgirl









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 11:01 am       Post subject: Re: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
chocolate chips wrote:
They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."


Shouldn't women hear this too?

happybeingamom wrote:
I would have loved to see that!



Too bad you're a woman Rolling Eyes
Back to top

Fabulous









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 11:03 am       Post subject: Re: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
curlgirl wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."


Shouldn't women hear this too?

happybeingamom wrote:
I would have loved to see that!



Too bad you're a woman Rolling Eyes


I think she meant parents in general. And women could have gone to the hookups.
Back to top

curlgirl









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 11:07 am       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
But WHY was it for men only?

I'm sorry, but that made me think it was focused on ONE very specific danger of the internet...
Back to top

Rubber Ducky









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 11:08 am       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
Here's a link to some audio clips: Audio clips on matzav.com.
Back to top

chocolate chips









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 1:00 pm       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22748710

THat is the video clip I saw.

There was live hookups for women. The stadium was filled with 42000 men and it would have been 1000 times harder to organise if there would have to be separate entrances etc. The hookups were just as "live" as being there since majority of people were watching on the screens.
Back to top

Tova









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 1:38 pm       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
I'm waiting 'til Thursday when I get my Yated to read the summaries!
Back to top

emhabanim









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 3:42 pm       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
Sorry, but I don't think hookups are at all like being live... simply by being in the arena you feel the environment, even if you need to look at a screen to see the speaker. A live hook up just doesn't offer you that. It's like telling your husband that being at game seven of the world series in the bleacher stands is the same as watching it on a live screen TV. Don't think he'd buy that, so why should you buy that a live video stream is the same????

As for it being difficult to organize if women were present, difficult is not impossible. Had they wanted women there and felt a value to having women there, it would have been done. Look at the Siyum HaShas with far more participants involved... it has women's seats!!!! And, how many women have been learning the daily daf????

Don't fool yourself; this society did not want you or any woman there. If they valued your input, you would have been invited.
Back to top

Aylat









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 5:51 pm       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
I think some of this is off topic. The OP asked for a summary without opinion or comment.
Back to top

abmom









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 21 2012, 6:15 pm       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
@KolHaolam tweeted updates, topics, and quotes of the speeches throughout the evening. You can check it out.
Back to top

Mrs Bissli









  
Post Posted: Tue, May 22 2012, 7:41 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
chocolate chips wrote:
There was live hookups for women. The stadium was filled with 42000 men and it would have been 1000 times harder to organise if there would have to be separate entrances etc. The hookups were just as "live" as being there since majority of people were watching on the screens.



Hmmm, am I the only one to notice the irony of a gathering to warn people dangers of internet being disseminated on a webcast? Confused
Back to top

chocolate chips









  
Post Posted: Tue, May 22 2012, 8:15 pm       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
Mrs Bissli wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
There was live hookups for women. The stadium was filled with 42000 men and it would have been 1000 times harder to organise if there would have to be separate entrances etc. The hookups were just as "live" as being there since majority of people were watching on the screens.



Hmmm, am I the only one to notice the irony of a gathering to warn people dangers of internet being disseminated on a webcast? Confused
No. I was watching live clips being posted every 10mins online!

I could not stop laughing at the irony!
Back to top

chocolate chips









  
Post Posted: Tue, May 22 2012, 8:28 pm       Post subject: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
I wanted to add one more thing that was said that dh told me.
One rav said that they should be asking in shidduchim if one of them (girl/boy) have access to internet and if yes is it filtered?!

I said that when they stop asking bra sizes then they can ask this! Laughing As if the shidduch world is not hard enough!
Back to top

slushiemom









  
Post Posted: Wed, May 23 2012, 1:39 am       Post subject: Re: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
chocolate chips wrote:
There were many speeches, some in Yiddish some in English.
A few were too long and boring while others were amazing and spoke about the bad internet can do and how we have to be careful and protect our children from such things.
They also spoke about using filters and using them correctly.

Dh said "they should have not focused so much on the over 20 year olds using internet, they are still going to. They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."
He also said the nicest part of the entire evening was the tefila ohl malchus shamayim and the singing as well as a united maariv and yehei shmei raba from 42000 people!


Halevei this is what would have been implemented after the fact. Unfortunately, it seems as though BMG just went back 15 years and issued the same exact type of ban, if not even more invasive (needing specific permission from a Rabbi to have the internet for work) as they did back then- didn't work then. This means there has been ZERO progress in the realm of leaders of the community understanding the needs and realities of today's community.

http://failedmessiah.typepad.c.....t-345.html
Back to top

happybeingamom









  
Post Posted: Wed, May 23 2012, 12:46 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Asifa...basic summary please?
chocolate chips wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing that was said that dh told me.
One rav said that they should be asking in shidduchim if one of them (girl/boy) have access to internet and if yes is it filtered?!

I said that when they stop asking bra sizes then they can ask this! Laughing As if the shidduch world is not hard enough!


Most working girls have access to the internet because they use it for their job. Not every girl is an assistant in a school.
Back to top
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News
Page 1 of 1

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
No new posts Daily Chitas (Chumash, Tehillim, Tanya) Summary 26 Teves
by mimivan
0 Tue, Jan 12 2010, 2:42 am View latest post
No new posts need a summary or chapter by chapter of DIBS
by amother
7 Mon, Oct 12 2009, 9:14 pm View latest post
No new posts Asifa in citifield live
by charna
22 Mon, May 21 2012, 12:52 am View latest post
No new posts What's the Asifa's bottom line?
by Ashrei
1 Mon, May 21 2012, 11:07 pm View latest post
No new posts Important Asifa about Internet in Boro Park
by amother
14 Thu, May 10 2007, 10:58 am View latest post


Jump to:  



Report offensive ad