Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Spinoff, bed sizes... Queen ?

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 6:56 am
We just bought a new house with a massive master bedroom . I mean you could fit beds for my whole family in there lol. We currently have 2 48" beds which need replacing. We use only one of the beds most of the time and its OK but feels a bit cramped sometimes. We were discussing getting 54s (full) but considering all the space we have maybe we should go with Queen ? But who needs two Queen sized beds!? Especially if we're only really going to be using one most of the time. I would get one Queen and one twin (or Full) but...
a) wouldn't that look strange in the room ? Part of what we love about the house is the beautiful master suite so I really want it to look nice . I like "furniture" beds, not the headboard only look. I'm having a hard time visualizing what two different sizes of beds would look like in a room.
b) how would buying linen work? If I want matching linen I would have to buy two sets in two different sizes.

Babies are not happening here anymore but we're not yet at the stage where I can say "to h*** with it let's just get a King and be done " LOL I also couldn't care less what other people think when they walk into our bedroom. It's none of their business, and anyways we obviously have zex, I mean we have KIDS Tongue Out

What would you do in my situation ? This is not really something I feel comfortable discussing with irl friends so I would appreciate some advice here.

frankie

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 7:41 am
We have a queen and love it - I personally find sharing a full (54) a bit snug for long periods of time. So we have a queen and a twin, with a nightstand in between - I hate how it looks, but it's worth it to me for the comfort. One day when we have a house iyh we'll get two queens, and when we don't need it anymore we'll get rid of one and either have one queen or one king. The main issue for me with the different sizes is that once you hit queen and up, the beds are longer - so it's not just wider, they also don't stick out the same amount - just putting it out there.

As for buying different size linen, it's not a problem. in jewish stores you can just tell them you want it in different sizes, and in regular stores linen doesn't generally come n sets of two, since most couples don't have two beds.

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 8:11 am
We have 2 queen size beds and it looks great! Really not such a big deal. Doesn't look so different and most people think they're full sized. Linen is real easy. Marshall's and Home Goods have great buys!

cm

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 8:55 am
Most people would say that sleeping in a queen bed is more comfortable for two people than sleeping in a full/double.

As far as how it looks - that's a matter of personal preference. There are some nosy people, but really, there shouldn't be anyone but family in your bedroom anyway, so it isn't important how it looks to other people.

Bed linens are usually available in different sizes.

Liba

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 9:07 am
We have a queen and a twin. We couldn't fit two queens in our room if we wanted to though. Smile We had the same set up in our previous home, and had an open house and sold it that way. No one seemed to even notice. We easily found matching sheets. We got matching sheets, quilts, shams, etc for both beds at Target before our open house. It looked great and I was happy.

chicco

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 9:08 am
I've seen in really big master bedrooms- one big bed, either king or queen, and then across the room a day bed is set up like a couch almost so its not so noticeable, and somewhat functional, that doubles as another bed when you need it. This way you also dont need exact matching sheets, you could just incorporate it into the rest of the decor.

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 9:31 am
Original amother here Smile
Love the idea of the daybed and a Queen! We wanted some sort of couch/seating area in our room anyways so this idea really works.
The question is, how do I (or do I?) explain it to my kids (young teens down to preschool age). It's a bit more obvious than two different sized beds. Isn't it? Though, they probably already know we sleep in one bed since one bed is used most of the time as an office/clothes horse right now and they're in and out of our room all the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics