Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Is there a secret to meringue cookies?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:46 pm
I followed this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/m.....0Page (although I didn't measure an 1/8 of a tsp, I eyeballed it pretty accurately...) and the batter formed stiff peaks. Then, I added the sugar slowly, and the batter became thin as milk! What went wrong? Is there an art to meringue cookies?

I bought a container of egg-whites- should I go back to real eggs; would that make a difference?

imasinger

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:18 pm
I usually use real eggs, so I don't know if the container of egg whites made a difference.

Nine times out of ten, when I mess up a meringue, it's because I didn't whip the whites for long enough.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:34 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
I followed this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/m.....0Page (although I didn't measure an 1/8 of a tsp, I eyeballed it pretty accurately...) and the batter formed stiff peaks. Then, I added the sugar slowly, and the batter became thin as milk! What went wrong? Is there an art to meringue cookies?

I bought a container of egg-whites- should I go back to real eggs; would that make a difference?

Most likely because you added the sugar too fast. You really need to do it very slowly, like 1-2 tablespoons at a time and beat well in between.

MamaBear

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:37 pm
It's the eggs. There's even a blurb on the box of whites that says it won't whip up into regular meringue.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:41 pm
MamaBear wrote:
It's the eggs. There's even a blurb on the box of whites that says it won't whip up into regular meringue.

Could be; I missed that in OP. However, if they did whip stiffly, I'm not totally sure that's the problem.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:57 pm
Okay, I'm gonna try again with real eggs.

Should they be straight out of the fridge or room temp?

I'm making the meringues for an activity with the kids. I REALLY want to copy these extremely low-calorie soufles I saw that were about $4 a portion - they said, "Just a delicious mix of egg whites, spinach (or brocolli, zuchini, butternut squash), and spices. A portion had about 30 calories.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 7:00 pm
Okay, I'm gonna try again with real eggs.

Should they be straight out of the fridge or room temp?

I'm making the meringues for an activity with the kids. I REALLY want to copy these extremely low-calorie soufles I saw that were about $4 a portion - they said, "Just a delicious mix of egg whites, spinach (or brocolli, zuchini, butternut squash), and spices. A portion had about 30 calories.

Yes, try again with real eggs and be really careful to add the sugar slowly. You should separate the eggs while they're cold, but let them reach room temperature before beating for maximum volume (though I often do it when cold with fine results).

sarachana

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 7:44 pm
When ever I make meringues they are always sticky on the outside...anyone know why? I do everything correctly...use real eggs, add sugar slowly etc.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 7:55 pm
sarachana wrote:
When ever I make meringues they are always sticky on the outside...anyone know why? I do everything correctly...use real eggs, add sugar slowly etc.

That is most likely from not baking long enough or at too low of a temperature.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:02 pm
you might want to see my posts on this or even get a book from the library.

shoemaker

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:17 pm
did u ever try agar? you buy it in the grocery in a spice bottle it really works.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:18 pm
Hurray! They worked! I used real eggs and added the sugar veeery slowly!

My kids thank you so much!

And to think that I spent 6.99 on a half-gallon of egg whites in order to avoid throwing out the yolks, and now I'll throw out that whole container! Anyone in Baltimore want it?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:07 pm
Hurray! They worked! I used real eggs and added the sugar veeery slowly!

My kids thank you so much!

And to think that I spent 6.99 on a half-gallon of egg whites in order to avoid throwing out the yolks, and now I'll throw out that whole container! Anyone in Baltimore want it?

You can still use it in other cooking. Most kugels work well substituting egg whites for all or part of the eggs (2 whites for 1 whole egg). Or mix in with whole eggs for omelets, etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:23 pm
T&P -- they work well in pareve ice cream:
2 egg whites (I only use these as no pasteurization issues)
1 bag of strawberries
3/4 C sugar

I think? You can check my posts in the past if you want to make this recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins