Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
5 yr old with headache

Mommy007

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 7:36 pm
My son was crying to hard from a headache this afternoon. He was in so much pain. I figured he could be dehydrated (it was close to 90 degrees) so I tried to give him ices or cold water. He took tylenol. After a couple of minutes, he threw up. He was begging me to go to sleep. I tried to keep him awake and took him to doc. BH everthing seems ok it could be a virus or he can be dehydrated. I was talking it over with my doc and my son has had at least 3-4 headaches this yr. He said first thing to do is take him to eye doc it could be a sign he needs glasses.
Has anyone had experience with a 5 yr old who suffers from headaches? I googled it and I am officially FREAKED out!

PAMOM

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 8:17 pm
1. Allergies (very commonly cause headaches); solution: dr prescribes Allegra or someting similar
2. Needs glasses; solution: he gets glasses
3. Virus that's going around; solution: let him sleep!
4. Migraines; ask dr--several options

Mommy007

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 8:22 pm
thanks for the reply.

So yes it could definatly be allergies. My son suffers from major seasonal allergies..bug bite allergies..He almost reacts to everthing that comes in contact with his body. He is very sensitive. He takes zyrtec for his allergies but I was hoping seasonal allergies should be gone by now. We have an appt by the eye doc. so well see what happens

CherryBerry

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 8:24 pm
my son had headaches when he was 3-4-5. the dr diagnosed migraines. he would come home from school, bleary eyed, and want to rest, gradually complaining that his head hurt, eventually falling asleep and/or vomit.

vomiting is a sign of migraines, as well as wanting quiet and darkness, and wanting to sleep.
I would give tylenol, and usually around bestime, he would finally perk up, and be back to his normal self, and of course after having had a long nap, not want to go back to bed right away....but that was a different issue.

long story, short, its not uncommon for little kids to get massive headaches. just give tylenol, and let him sleep.

ETA I just noticed that I wrote bestime instead of bedtime. Very Happy . yah right bestime, its too funny so I"ll leave it as is.

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 9:41 pm
I don't want to scare you further but if the headache and specifically the vomiting persists I would get it checked out as soon as possible. Headache with vomiting could be from a migraine type of headache but it could also be a brain tumor.

With my nephew this was the case and he wasn't treated properly and lo aleinu did not recover.

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 9:53 pm
Seriously, a brain tumor??? Rolling Eyes I'm sorry about your nephew. And YES, headaches can be a symptom of a brain tumor but a one time headache does not a brain tumor make... I'll venture to say that 99.999999% of the time when a child has a headache it's just that... a HEADACHE. Children can get headaches for the same reasons adults do. Allergies, dehydration, stress, exhaustion (I don't know about you but my kids are super off schedule and exhausted after Yom Tov), a virus, migraines etc...

Simple1

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:01 pm
Whenever I asked the doctor about headaches, he said to make sure the child is getting good nutrition and enough sleep. And stress could also cause headaches (probably more common with older kids.) And if the headaches persisted, bring them in to be checked.

For sure the eye exam is a good idea. And maybe also a dental check up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers