Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Fan of Bob Dylan looking for Jewish music - any suggestions?
1  2  Next

irrationalrose

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 9:11 pm
I looked through the imamother posts with suggestions of "good" Jewish music and realized my taste does not match many of the posters.

I'm looking for non-Carlbach Jewish music (not because I don't like his music, I just already have all his and most of his "talmidim's" CD's).

Any suggestions?

chani8

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 10:39 pm
The Moshav Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....lated

Adi Ran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYIXkdKjE7M

chani8

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 10:43 pm
Surely you've tried some Mattisyahu?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....=av2n

and Gad Elbaz

chani8

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 10:48 pm
I can't believe I didn't first think of

Udi Davidi

Yocheved84

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 10:55 pm
I'm writing this in my tye-dye Bob Dylan/Paul Simon concert tee-shirt. (Not that you needed this detail, but I feel your pain.) Are you looking for Jewish music per se, or folk music with clean language and--in the spirit of Dylan and other folk icons--sometimes have an agenda for social change? I ask because while I haven't found what might be called Jewish music, I have found that I enjoy the following songs. These songs have many of the values we hold dear in orthodox Judaism and in Judaism overall, and many of the singers are Jewish:

(A mix-tape or playlist in here, perhaps?)

- Peter, Paul, & Mary had a beautiful Channukah song ("Don't Let the Light Go Out.")
They also have one about not bullying and treating one another well ("Don't Laugh at Me.")
- Of course, home is where our family is. And in keeping with the idea of the importance of building a healthy, loving, Jewish home, what about listening to CSNY's "Teach Your Children Well" and
- "Our House"? (If you have young kids, you could totally tell them that riding the Marrakech Express is totally about a railroad, but if you really want to keep with the theme, I'd hold off.) Wink
- Many songs performed (not necessarily written by) Pete Singer, while initially carrying a political message, are all but lost today and are fun to listen to e.g. "If I Had a Hammer"

I know this list isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps. My brain is fried at 2 AM, but

The answer, OP, is lying in Cyberspace Wind with other posters,
The answer is lying in the wind.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 11:27 pm
Yood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KFC3HYLxM

A little more rock than folk, but they list Dylan among their influences.

chani8

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 11:34 pm
Sinai Tor

StrongIma

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 11:53 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
I'm writing this in my tye-dye Bob Dylan/Paul Simon concert tee-shirt. (Not that you needed this detail, but I feel your pain.) Are you looking for Jewish music per se, or folk music with clean language and--in the spirit of Dylan and other folk icons--sometimes have an agenda for social change? I ask because while I haven't found what might be called Jewish music, I have found that I enjoy the following songs. These songs have many of the values we hold dear in orthodox Judaism and in Judaism overall, and many of the singers are Jewish:

(A mix-tape or playlist in here, perhaps?)

- Peter, Paul, & Mary had a beautiful Channukah song ("Don't Let the Light Go Out.")
They also have one about not bullying and treating one another well ("Don't Laugh at Me.")
- Of course, home is where our family is. And in keeping with the idea of the importance of building a healthy, loving, Jewish home, what about listening to CSNY's "Teach Your Children Well" and
- "Our House"? (If you have young kids, you could totally tell them that riding the Marrakech Express is totally about a railroad, but if you really want to keep with the theme, I'd hold off.) Wink
- Many songs performed (not necessarily written by) Pete Singer, while initially carrying a political message, are all but lost today and are fun to listen to e.g. "If I Had a Hammer"

I know this list isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps. My brain is fried at 2 AM, but

The answer, OP, is lying in Cyberspace Wind with other posters,
The answer is lying in the wind.
LOL

irrationalrose

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 7:55 am
Yocheved84, in the last 24 hours I've actually sang most of those songs to my kids as I cooked dinner, washed dishes etc, so we are on the same wavelength Very Happy

Thanks all for the suggestions, but...
sinai tour - I have their cd, find it a little bland

yood/matisyahu- too rock-y

udi - too pop/rock-y

gad elbaz - too pop/soft rock-y

adi ran - too heavy on the drums, I'm looking for something more folksy

justcallmeima

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 8:13 am
I can't believe no one has said Moshe Yess yet. Moshe z"l was a successful artist in the hippie music scene in California in the 60's when he met Chabad and became a Jewish singer. Lots of his stuff is AMAZING and got me thru my teenage years when I wanted to listen to my Bob Dylan but was "too frum" to listen to "non jewish" music. Check him out. Moshe Yess and/or Megama (a duo he had in Israel for a few years). Let me know if you love it as much as I did/do.

irrationalrose

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 8:30 am
justcallmeima wrote:
I can't believe no one has said Moshe Yess yet. Moshe z"l was a successful artist in the hippie music scene in California in the 60's when he met Chabad and became a Jewish singer. Lots of his stuff is AMAZING and got me thru my teenage years when I wanted to listen to my Bob Dylan but was "too frum" to listen to "non jewish" music. Check him out. Moshe Yess and/or Megama (a duo he had in Israel for a few years). Let me know if you love it as much as I did/do.

Wow - ok, so I remember hearing Moshe Yess on the radio all the time when I was little (Art Raymonds Simcha!) and I just listened to a bunch of sample tracks on mostly music. For some reason the songs sound very cheesy to me which makes me sad. I'm not sure why Peter Paul and Mary sound less cheesy to me. Is it that Jewish themes just don't mix naturally with that style of music?

irrationalrose

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 8:32 am
any btw, even though they sound cheesy to me I still got a little emotional from hearing the zeyde song!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:04 am
Diaspora?

Oh, and how about Peter Himmelman? Wink

spinkles

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:09 am
Yosef Karduner!!!

grace413

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:12 am
Yocheved84 wrote:

Just had to mention that I heard PP&M sing this song in a live concert in Jerusalem a zillion years ago. The audience flicking its cigarette lighters in tune gave it a special something.

irrationalrose

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:18 am
diaspora is good (the early recordings, the later ones are too pumped up - same problem for carlebach btw, the later cd's are sometimes laughable for that reason)

StrongIma

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 3:43 pm
Abie rotenberg (journeys)

STovah

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 6:02 pm
Eighth Day? (Not Yaalili, their other songs)

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 6:27 pm
avraham rosenblum's "kedem" is partially bob dylanesque. it's usually around 5 or 6 dollars at eichlers these days...

btw, the above mentioned singer is Pete Seeger, not Singer. And he's a big communist. Not the best voice, but has some good songs. (then again, bob dylan isn't the best of singers, either.) Pete Seeger was a member of the Weavers, but they were more folk singers, Dylan was a folk STYLE singer.

oh, and bob dylan's Jewish, so his music is too Smile

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 1:17 pm
Thanks all for the great suggestions - sadly many of these CD's are discontinued! Guess there is not enough of a market for this type of music...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics