Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What to do with Persimmons...and Limes too!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:16 pm
I recived a basket of produce, a lot of which is going bad. I don't want to waste it, but have no clue what to do with it! I have a bunch of persimmons. And ideas of what to do with them? Bonus points if you can tell me what to do with several pounds of limes!

TIA!

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:21 pm
Juice the limes and freeze the juice in small bags or mini containers for when you'll need lime juice in the future...

I have heard of people making persimmon pudding, but I have no personal experience with that. Good luck!

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:33 pm
I don't like persimmons so I don't cook with them but I know you can make persimmon bread or muffins and freeze them. There is probably a recipe for persimmon chutney out there.

Limes- limeade, freeze lime juice, marinade chicken in lime, garlic, oil and cilantro, bake sweet potatoes and drizzle with lime juice and chili powder, make lime cookies or cake

4c

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:45 pm
Let the persimmons soften and eat like apples. Yum!!! They go fast in our house.

Volunteer

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:30 pm
Persimmons:
What type of persimmons do you have?
The larger, more conical ones (Hachiya) need to sit in a paper bag on the counter until they get VERY mushy. Then, you eat them with a spoon like jam. They are great alone, or mixed with vanilla yogurt, or in a crepe, or with ice cream, or on toast, or.... I love persimmons.
The squat ones, shaped more like tomatoes (Fuyu or Sharon varieties), are best eaten while firm. They are great alone, or in fruit salad.
The American persimmon (very rare outside the southern USA) is actually a totally different fruit. They can be eaten cooked or raw. The old recipes for persimmon pudding are for this fruit.
I don't recommend cooking persimmons because most types actually polymerize and develop very bitter tannins when heated.

Limes:
They keep for a long time in the refrigerator.
Many Persian recipes contain lots of lime juice, especially the many types of khoresh (meat & vegetable stews).
You can use limes in many recipes that call for lemons, including lime-ade and lime curd.
There is also the famous key lime pie.

heidi

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:53 pm
cut up persimmon with unflavored yogurt, drop of silan or honey and granola. YUM!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking