Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Shabbos lunch sheva brachos menu
1  2  Next

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 9:02 am
In another thread, I was asked to post my full menu for the Shabbos lunch sheva brachos I am making in a few weeks for my niece.

It is very similar to the menu I used for a different Shabbos sheva brachos (which is posted here) almost 2 years ago.

We expect around 40 adults and 10 young children. Everyone is coming for the meal, no one just for dessert. There will be placecards for seating. There is one other hostess besides myself, but her participation is only financial. I am doing all of the work.

The planned menu is:

Wine-Grape Juice

Homemade Seudah Challah & individual rolls with dips (chummus, matbucha, maybe one more)

Plated appetizer of teriyaki salmon skewers over angel hair pasta & snow peas

3 salads in bowls on the table: broccoli salad; coleslaw & Israeli salad

Main course served family style:
chopped liver
cholent with kishka
corned beef
schnitzel
potato kugel (hot overnight in oven)
cranberry/apple crunch

Plated dessert of assorted miniatures (pareve cheesecake muffins, canolli, black forest cups & raspberry bars) with some sliced fruit on the side of the plate.

We're using real linen tablecloths and napkins. Probably (but not 100%) we're using nice plastic plates and the plastic "silver" flatware. I have a cleaning lady to wash pots, clean up, help serve and clear).

Centerpieces are probably bud vases with fresh flowers. I'm may be making simple napkin rings of mini-silk flowers.

We're buying soda and will also have pitchers of water on the table.

smss

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 9:05 am
YUM! Enjoy and mazel tov Smile

letschat

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 5:00 pm
Sounds delicious! Hope you have a great time!
When you have a chance, could you please post the recipe for the salmon and pasta?
Thank you so much.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 5:09 pm
letschat wrote:
Sounds delicious! Hope you have a great time!
When you have a chance, could you please post the recipe for the salmon and pasta?
Thank you so much.

It is ra_mom's recipe posted here: Salmon Teriyaki

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 5:44 pm
Looks delicious! Wish I could join Smile
I admire you for having everything homemade!

MRS.Mentsch

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 7:16 pm
Sounds amazing OOTBubby.

Can I trouble you for the recipe for the parve cheesecake muffins and parve canolli? Thanks!

elmos

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 7:21 pm
everything sounds amazing but why not save time instead of making challah and floral napkin rings why not make challah napkin rings??
hatzlacha sounds amazing

GetReal

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 8:09 pm
Thanks for posting! Everything sounds great! hatzlacha rabbah.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 9:17 am
ra_mom wrote:

That has more to do with where I live than the fact that I want to do it that way. While Chicago is a very big full service frum community, the catering/take out/baked item selection, quality and pricing is very, very different from what is available in NY.

If you want to do something really nice, you need to do it yourself.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 9:24 am
MRS.Mentsch wrote:
Sounds amazing OOTBubby.

Can I trouble you for the recipe for the parve cheesecake muffins and parve canolli? Thanks!

For the pareve cheesecake muffins, I kind of combined a few things I found online with some of my own ideas.

The basic cheesecake recipe is:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (I used Tofutti
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I crush vanilla sandwich cookies in the food processor. I lined the mini muffin cups with foil liners. I put a spoonful of the cookie crumbs in each ones. I mixed some caramel chips into the cheesecake mixture and filled the cups with that. I baked for 15 minutes at 350. When cooled I removed the liners and drizzled them with pareve caramel topping. Obviously you could use whatever flavorings/toppings you'd like.

The canolli were very simple. I bought the Presidor canolli shells. I beat Rich's Whip with instant vanilla pudding (I'd say around 2 Rich's Whips to 1 box pudding) and filled the shells with it (using a pastry bag). I then dip the ends into melted chocolate (I used the shells that are already drizzled with chocolate over the cookie part). For something else, I used the solid chocolate shells with the same filling, left the ends open and drizzled the shells with both melted chocolate and melted caramel chips. There is also a recipe in the new BY cookbook for this using a slightly different filling, but same idea.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 9:25 am
elmos wrote:
everything sounds amazing but why not save time instead of making challah and floral napkin rings why not make challah napkin rings??
hatzlacha sounds amazing

I don't care for the idea of the challah napkin rings -- especially for Shabbos when I clearly want it to look lake challah/lechem mishna set at the places.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 9:27 am
ra_mom wrote:

And, BTW, this is nothing compared to what DD is doing (with my help and help of others) this week for her first DS's bar mitzvah. She is self catering all meals (for 80 people each meal) and the kiddush (for several hundred people).

Between this and the sheva brachos I feel like I've been baking & cooking constantly almost since Pesach.

Della

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 9:32 am
Mazel Tov!! How are you doing the skewers? Are you using long wood ones? The ones I have are loooong, like hang off a plate.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 9:39 am
Monsey Mom wrote:
Mazel Tov!! How are you doing the skewers? Are you using long wood ones? The ones I have are loooong, like hang off a plate.

They come in a few sizes -- I've see 8", 10" & 12". I bought the 10" ones. Crisscrossed they'll work well on the plates I'm using.

I am making thin slices from salmon filets and will thread them onto the skewers (which I will first soak in water for at least half an hour) and then cook per the recipe linked to above. I will have a small mound of angel hair pasta and a small mound of snow peas in the middle of the plate with the skewers crisscrossed over that and drizzled with the sauce.

willow

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 10:04 am
Sounds gorgeous. Mazel tov>

mom2dkay

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 8:16 pm
Sounds really nice! Good luck with all the hard work! Just out of curiosity, no eggs shabbos morning?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 8:54 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

And, BTW, this is nothing compared to what DD is doing (with my help and help of others) this week for her first DS's bar mitzvah. She is self catering all meals (for 80 people each meal) and the kiddush (for several hundred people).

Between this and the sheva brachos I feel like I've been baking & cooking constantly almost since Pesach.
You both definitely have my admiration Tongue Out
Mazel Tov, Mazel Tov!

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Davida

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 10:09 pm
Mazel Tov!

What's in the angel hair pasta salad that's served with the salmon teryiaki?
I'm serving it for a shabbos lunch, should I just serve a little piece of salmon or cubes (I'm thinking there'll be more sauce with cubes since they'll be individually glazed)?

MRS.Mentsch

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 11:35 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
MRS.Mentsch wrote:
Sounds amazing OOTBubby.

For the pareve cheesecake muffins, I kind of combined a few things I found online with some of my own ideas.

The basic cheesecake recipe is:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (I used Tofutti
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I crush vanilla sandwich cookies in the food processor. I lined the mini muffin cups with foil liners. I put a spoonful of the cookie crumbs in each ones. I mixed some caramel chips into the cheesecake mixture and filled the cups with that. I baked for 15 minutes at 350. When cooled I removed the liners and drizzled them with pareve caramel topping. Obviously you could use whatever flavorings/toppings you'd like.

The canolli were very simple. I bought the Presidor canolli shells. I beat Rich's Whip with instant vanilla pudding (I'd say around 2 Rich's Whips to 1 box pudding) and filled the shells with it (using a pastry bag). I then dip the ends into melted chocolate (I used the shells that are already drizzled with chocolate over the cookie part). For something else, I used the solid chocolate shells with the same filling, left the ends open and drizzled the shells with both melted chocolate and melted caramel chips. There is also a recipe in the new BY cookbook for this using a slightly different filling, but same idea.

Thanks so much!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:37 am
mom2dkay wrote:
Sounds really nice! Good luck with all the hard work! Just out of curiosity, no eggs shabbos morning?

Nope we never do. DH is makpid on fish though at every seudah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics