Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Want my kids to start eating healthy-Please help

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 6:37 pm
I want my kids to eat healthy, all the time. They have balanced meals but snacks I really need to crack down on. After school lately they've been having chips and nosh and I want to stop. They love fruit, but what else? Does anyone have any healthy snack ideas? And just tips in general? Thanx

chanitroy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 6:44 pm
celery sticks lined with peanut butter
chumus (homemade - super easy) with:
healthy crackers (flatbreads, rice cakes, shibolim) or baby carrots
cottage cheese
yogurt
cheddar cheese slices with crackers
veggie sticks with avacado dip

chanitroy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 6:47 pm
chumus recipe

1 can of chickpeas - 2 cups (pour out most of the juice)
1/2 cup tahini paste
1/4 cup lemon juice
2-3 cloves garlic
some cayenne pepper
optional - roasted red peppers -from a jar however much to suit your tast

blend together and voila!

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 6:49 pm
Try giving them supper right after school - it will help cut back on the unhealthy snacking.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 6:52 pm
tip 1: don't buy the chips and nosh.

tip 2: pop your own popcorn. let the kids flavor it themselves. you can set up a popcorn bar Smile

tip 3: the following brand makes good snacks. it is under the ou. not cheap, but significantly more healthy than chips. the following link is a random one I picked from amazon. you can get them cheaper with subscribe and save, some flavors are cheaper than others. look around before ordering.

http://www.amazon.com/Brothers.....r=1-1

tip 4: dried fruit. if you don't like added sugar, get a dehydrator. I have one and can recommend it if you are interested. my kids love dried pineapple, pears, and cantaloupe. (I don't love the cantaloupe, but my kids will eat them by the fistful.)

tip 5: if your kids really like their chips, give them healthier chips with healthy dips. guacamole and chummus come to mind. babaganoush, tomato dip, even salsa.

tip 6: yogurt is a good snack and can be served frozen. I like to get stonyfield farm yogurt squeezers and freeze them for my kids in the summer. they are sugary, but they're also organic (which does not automatically mean healthy, but I like the idea of organic yogurt).

tip 7: take them shopping with you, if possible. compare nutrition facts with them, and get their ideas for healthy snacks. you'd be surprised what great ideas kids will come up with.

tip 8: model healthy eating for them.

spring13

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 7:00 pm
Healthy muffins are easy to make - look for recipes that use whole wheat flour, oats, fruit and nuts. You can bake a huge batch and then freeze them. Now that summer's coming, you can buy popsicle molds and make homemade ones with juice and fruit (lots of recipes online!). If you want to get fancy and they want ice cream, try making smoothies with yogurt and fruit. If you have kids who like to cook and experiment in the kitchen, get some healthy kid-friendly cookbooks (or look for websites) and get them involved in the food prep.

When you need packaged stuff, there are granola bars that are healthy and some that aren't. I've gotten big boxes of the Kashi brand at Costco, and those are pretty good for you. The Kirkland brand ones are also good. Look for things like nuts and trail mix as well, just pay attention to what it actually contains (ie: some have lots of added salt or sugar).

Also, don't totally ban the stuff they love, at least not yet. Buy individual bags, and only enough for each kid to have one on Shabbos, or something like that, so that they can have a treat in a context where it's appropriate.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 7:07 pm
Carrot sticks.

shnitzel

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 7:26 pm
Kale chips

Fruits and veggies that are dipped are more filling and exciting.

If,you,don't buy nosh they can't eat them.

imeinu

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 7:38 pm
frozen grapes and bananas instead of ices.

black sheep

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:05 pm
for healthy "junk food" I make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, throw in ground flaxeed, and cut half the sugar.

for the before supper hungries, I like to put cut up fresh veggies on the table. I don't even have to tell them to eat it, the colors are so appealing the kids just eat it on their own. the ones they are most likely to eat are thin sticks of celery, red peppers, cucumbers, and carrots. when I'm in a rush, I open a bag of baby carrots and a box of cherry tomatoes, they eat it in a second.

tangerines go really fast.

I almost never serve chips or junk food at home, except for "shabbos party." they eat what's on the table or counter, so if fresh appetizing veggies and fruits are there, that is what they'll eat.

they also love pita chips with chumus. and homemade popcorn.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:17 pm
Op here- thanx so much for all the ideas!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:54 pm
Rice cakes
baby carrots
plain lettuce
peas-they can crack open and eat the actual peas
cut up melons
shiblim makes great stuff to munch on

also-if they love nosh just get them for shabbos. You can also make rules like one snack only...

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 9:23 pm
My kids love these ices:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/f.....sults

(I make it with plain greek yogurt, strawberries and ripe bananas, adding just a bit of sugar.)

My daughter likes when I fill up a shnapps cup with peanut butter and give her some whole wheat breadsticks for dipping. You can also try apple slices for dipping in peanut butter.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 5:13 am
You should define healthy. Whole grains? Low fat?

happy mom1

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 5:22 am
And the snacks I buy for shabbos are individual size bags, one for each kid, so that there are no extras to munch on the rest of the week.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 5:48 am
I found that if I want a change of diet in my kid I have to explain and then jump in it, just offer whatever I find healthy.
Dinner just after school: won't they be full from the 4 pm school snack? and won't they nosh at 8 if they dine at 5?

de_goldy

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 7:00 am
Ruchel wrote:

Dinner just after school: won't they be full from the 4 pm school snack? and won't they nosh at 8 if they dine at 5?

Not sure what you mean by 4pm school snack, but I've never yet met a kid who doesn't come home from school starving.

Most days my kids eat supper when they get home from school (depending on their age, that's anywhere between 3:15pm and 5:30pm). I always make a huge salad, big bowl of fruit plus whatever cooked food is for supper. The food stays available pretty much until they go to bed, so if they're hungry later they often come back for more salad, food etc. Which is not to say they never snack. But they fill up on real food.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 7:07 am
Schools serve a snack/4 pm meal (parve in Jewish schools if there has been meat) in small classes.
It's like bread and Nutella, or cakes, or bamba bissli and some candies, or whatever, depends on the school. Though some make you bring it.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 8:02 am
Our day school is out by 3:30 (later after 5th grade) so snack time is at 2:30 or earlier. We do dinner at 5:30 and then fruit at 7 with lowfat milk. Also their dinner plate is always left out so if they didn't finish it they can take the rest until bedtime.

I let my kids have "healthy" nosh but it is always with fruit or vegetables to cut down on the amount of actual nosh. Candy, cookies etc are treats not snacks in my opinion. They don't get that regularly. So I'm referring to pretzels, multigrain chips, granola bars that kind of thing.

zigi

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 8:57 am
my kids like shredded cabbage. its messy though

they also like to make slushie milk. they freeze cups of milk until it becomes slush.
frozen yogurt smoothies

also almonds, and peanuts

if you snack on this they will copy you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics