Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chani8

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:15 pm
As a mom, I would only worry about my DD's safety of being a plumber and going to other peoples homes, or construction sites for that matter. Other than the safety issue, a woman can certainly do the job.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:32 pm
Do you know what being an electrician involves? there's a good reason why women aren't electricians - there is some very hard physical work involved, like pulling cables.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 4:16 pm
I would prefer the woman; I'd assume she would have to be twice as good as a man in order to be accepted in her field (partly a joke--not wholly).

cm

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 4:45 pm
There is no reason a physically fit woman cannot do the work of an electrician or plumber.

Personally, I don't care about the gender of the workers in my home (in general) but I have heard that there is a demand for skilled female home repair providers in some neighborhoods in Israel. I think I read an article somewhere about a directory of fenale workers - does this ring a bell for anyone who might know about the details?

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:14 pm
I would totally LOVE to have female repair people. I've been saying for years that there's a great market for female repair people in frum neighborhoods. No worries about yichud, pervs, nosy people jumping to evil conclusions...So long as she's not a frail little thing doing a job involving heavy lifting, because I'd feel obligated to try to help her.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:20 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Do you know what being an electrician involves? there's a good reason why women aren't electricians - there is some very hard physical work involved, like pulling cables.

I knew a woman electrician. she was also a figure skater, musician and mother, but electrical work was what she did for a living. Women are entering the construction trades in growing numbers. We're not all wimpettes. Some of us have plenty of brawn.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:26 pm
It amuses me that a person would object to women being electricians on the grounds that they have to pull heavy cable, yet think nothing of women being licensed practical nurses or nurses' aides and having to lift, transfer and transport patients weighing twice what they do.

FTR I'm not saying it's OK for a 110-lb nurses' aide to singlehandedly move a 350-lb flaccid patient from a bed to a wheelchair; it's not, and this is one reason why healthcare workers have an astronomical rate of back injuries. I just find it entertaining that healthcare is considered an appropriate job for women and construction trades not, on the grounds that construction requires muscle.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 9:00 pm
Raisin wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
Id rather a male one. I would feel terrible to watch a lady, especially a frum one, working in my drains and sewers while I sit in my nice warm house all clean and happy.

Its not so much a womans job .

Huhh? Why is it any different than watching a woman clean your toilets and floors and iron shirts?

I wouldn't have a problem at all, although I do not think I have ever met one.

Because its much dirtier and much harder work than a cleaner. And no it does not necessarily make me comfortable to see a cleaner do work while I sit and watch, I would probably help her in some way or another (like pick up the blocks while she irons).
Also it bothers me more if a Jewish lady does it same way I would NEVER EVER hire a jewish cleaning lady. It just does not feel right.
And I also agree with the others that say electrician or plumbing work is MAJORLY dirty and hard, especially if you are an apprentice (dh tried both!) so even if they love it its not always just plunging the toilet and using a snake to unblock drains.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:36 am
chocolate chips wrote:
Raisin wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
Id rather a male one. I would feel terrible to watch a lady, especially a frum one, working in my drains and sewers while I sit in my nice warm house all clean and happy.

Huhh? Why is it any different than watching a woman clean your toilets and floors and iron shirts?

Because its much dirtier and much harder work than a cleaner. And no it does not necessarily make me comfortable to see a cleaner do work while I sit and watch, I would probably help her in some way or another (like pick up the blocks while she irons).
Also it bothers me more if a Jewish lady does it same way I would NEVER EVER hire a jewish cleaning lady. It just does not feel right.
And I also agree with the others that say electrician or plumbing work is MAJORLY dirty and hard, especially if you are an apprentice (dh tried both!) so even if they love it its not always just plunging the toilet and using a snake to unblock drains.

I find your posts to be sexist and racist (or whatever you call the inverse of "anti-semitic", I.e., prejudiced against non-Jews).

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:48 am
chocolate chips wrote:

It really makes me ill every time someone writes something like this here. Let me get this right - you wouldn't give parnassa to a Jewish woman who needs it and is willing to do the job? Giving someone a job is the highest level of tzedaka. And the reason is - because you would feel uncomfortable??? shock

Also, why do people feel this way about ordinary housework that it is demeaning? That is also a sad reflection on our attitudes. It is taking care of our homes and families. Maybe the cohanim in the Beis Hamikdash should have hired a few non jews to do the dirty clean up work?

Having said that, I think working as an electrician is a completely different issue. It is a fact, not sexist, to say women are not as physically strong as men. Especially a frum woman who is probably pregnant some of the time.

sofaraway

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:51 am
DrMom wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
Raisin wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

I find your posts to be sexist and racist (or whatever you call the inverse of "anti-semitic", I.e., prejudiced against non-Jews).

Oh please!
She probably means, the same way you would t ask your sister to come be your cleaning lady, she wouldn't hire a Jew. It s not about beig racist, it's about beib sensitive to the ones you feel close with.
I am also of this opinion. I can't get myself to hire a Jewish cleaning lady.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:54 am
shalhevet wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

It really makes me ill every time someone writes something like this here. Let me get this right - you wouldn't give parnassa to a Jewish woman who needs it and is willing to do the job? Giving someone a job is the highest level of tzedaka. And the reason is - because you would feel uncomfortable??? shock

Also, why do people feel this way about ordinary housework that it is demeaning? That is also a sad reflection on our attitudes. It is taking care of our homes and families. Maybe the cohanim in the Beis Hamikdash should have hired a few non jews to do the dirty clean up work?

Having said that, I think working as an electrician is a completely different issue. It is a fact, not sexist, to say women are not as physically strong as men. Especially a frum woman who is probably pregnant some of the time.

So it's horrible to deny parnassa to a Jewish woman... if she is cleaning your house, but not if she is fixing your toilet or rewiring your fuse box?

Because, after all, she might be pregnant?

Dont know

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 3:28 am
I didn't say I wouldn't hire a female electrician. I was answering the OP, who is still considering whether to train for such a job.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 4:05 am
sofaraway wrote:
DrMom wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
Raisin wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

Oh please!
She probably means, the same way you would t ask your sister to come be your cleaning lady, she wouldn't hire a Jew. It s not about beig racist, it's about beib sensitive to the ones you feel close with.
I am also of this opinion. I can't get myself to hire a Jewish cleaning lady.
Personally I would for sure hire my sister if she was looking for work as a cleaning lady. Why not? As shalhevet said, helping someone get/have a job is the highest form of tzedaka. There is no shame in ANY kind of job.

I find that your views and the poster that was said to be sexist are extremely rude.

Come to Israel where there are many many many many many JEWISH WOMEN cleaning ladies. I would be proud to hire one (it just so happens that we have a sri lankan man, but thats what worked for us right now).

Wow, to me this is such a backwards view.

cm

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 6:42 am
Hello, I'm a Jewish cleaning woman. Or I was, anyway...

Thank goodness the non-Jewish households who hired me only cared that I did a good job and didn't steal.

I recognize that there are class distinctions in many communities that make it awkward to hire a peer as "help." I did this kind of work when I was a student, and many middle-class students do entry-level work that isn't typical later in life in certain circles. Let us all please get over it and learn to consider any kind of work worth doing, and let those who do the work choose what they are willing to do.

Twenty years ago, dogwalking and babysitting were similarly considered jobs for teenagers and college students in my world. Now, respectable adults are making successful businesses doing the same things.

You can make a good living in the skilled trades, and unlike IT or customer service, the work can't be outsourced to a low-wage country around the world. The work world is changing, in case you haven't noticed. If you are willing to get your hands dirty and do physical work, do it!

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 8:16 am
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

So it's horrible to deny parnassa to a Jewish woman... if she is cleaning your house, but not if she is fixing your toilet or rewiring your fuse box?

Because, after all, she might be pregnant?

Dont know

Its nothing about parnassa. If a really poor friend came to me and said she would clean my house I would pay her no problem I would just feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable to watch her scrubbing my house and doing my demeaning work (and yes cleaning toilets and floors on hands and knees IS demeaning work) when I really should be doing it but I am too lazy/don't have time.
I never said frum ladies are not as strong as non jewish ones. in general it is a fact that ladies do not have the muscles like men do.
And yes what happens when she gets pregnant? even a non jewish lady...my mothers cleaner told her one day she was 4months pregnant my mother wanted to bury herself in a hole. For four months she had been making this cleaner hoover, mop, sweep, iron, clean etc and she was pregnant! (Perhaps that is one reason I would consider a male cleaner but then there is a problem of yichud!)

abound

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 8:25 am
I have a frum woman clean my home. I used to have someone not Jewish, but then I heard about this woman. Honestly, if she is searching to clean toilets, why would you not hire her. It is quite selfish to deny someone else a chance at a honest living because of your comfort level.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 8:36 am
I'm just trying to picture what you will wear as a female plumber and especially with those black greasy hands.
maybe someone should start a woman's line of clothing for these rough jobs.

good luck

rikki!

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 8:52 am
hmm.. That is one interesting job for women! the thread title made me smile. Not that I have anything against it, it's just that I've never heard of any female plumbers. but who knows maybe people will appreciate it bc of yichud issues and it'll turn out great for you.

But, we'll all know who you are since you'll most probably be the only one:)

Lots of hatzlacha!

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
I'm just trying to picture what you will wear as a female plumber and especially with those black greasy hands.
maybe someone should start a woman's line of clothing for these rough jobs.

good luck

There is plenty of women's clothing suitable for rough jobs.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics