Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BYBP vs. Lev BY vs BY Drav Meir

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 5:41 pm
I'd like to hear info about these three schools. Good and bad. We are heimish (chassidish) background but I'm looking for a better education for my daughter than the one currently offered in chassidish schools. Additionally, I don't want pressure to change who we are (get rid of internet, don't read secular books, don't wear nail polish, etc.)

1) How high is their level of secular education?
2) How high is their level of Jewish education?
3) What agenda do they promote? (kollel husband for example.) I would prefer a well-rounded school with NO agenda. With one exception, an agenda that encourages college education and developing individual opinions would be nice.
4) What 'type' of people send there?
5) How hard is it to be accepted?
6) How many kids per class?
7) Do they offer extracurricular subjects?

If you can suggest any other schools in the Flatbush-BP area that are similar or better than these, please do.

Thanks!

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 1:21 am
Just bumping this up for the Sunday crowd. Smile

reportrmom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 10:13 am
Are you talking about elementary or high school?

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 11:13 am
Oh. Elementary. Smile

I'm leaning towards Lev at the moment.

BYBP is the failsafe.

reportrmom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 11:58 am
My daughter is finishing eighth grade at bydm. We have been very happy. Good education, strong limudei kodesh and very dedicated special teachers. I have heard that there is a reputation that the school has a wealthy clientele, which we are not, but we haven't really felt much social pressure in that way.
Baruch Hashem. If u have any specific question I would be happy to help.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 12:40 pm
I do not have daughters in school yet but I worked in BYBP a few years ago and think it could be a good choice for you, since you say you're coming from a "heimish" background but looking for a more moderate school. I've answered your questions within the quote to the best of my knowledge.
gp2.0 wrote:

1) How high is their level of secular education?
Very decent. I don't think it's the "Ivy League" of elementary schools, but they do seem to have a solid program and they keep fairly up to date with trends in education. I've seen frum schools even more advanced but BYBP definitely appears to be on the high end compared to many.
2) How high is their level of Jewish education?
Not sure, I worked in the secular department. But what I saw of the Hebrew work seemed about typical of what I've seen in other BY's. Not exceptionally high or low. But like I said that's really not my field so I can't judge.
3) What agenda do they promote? (kollel husband for example.) I would prefer a well-rounded school with NO agenda. With one exception, an agenda that encourages college education and developing individual opinions would be nice.
Did not notice an "agenda." I feel that they promote general good midos. I don't think they encourage college education but don't know if they discourage it either, this is elementary school and I don't think it comes out much at that level. If you were asking about high school you'd probably get a much clearer message one way or the other.
4) What 'type' of people send there?
VERY mixed. That's one thing worth loving. Sometimes the classes end up a little more homogeneous because you can choose whether to be in a yiddish or hebrew track for kodesh subjects, so naturally you get a more chassidish leaning in the yiddish classes and more of a mix in the hebrew, but overall I saw all types of kids from all types of families and they all seemed to get along just fine. In the middle of Boro Park. It was really sweet to see!
5) How hard is it to be accepted?
Don't know but I have heard that they are very accepting and try not to turn people away.
6) How many kids per class?
When I was there the classes I saw averaged around 25. Some were even more but some were less. Mostly big classes.
7) Do they offer extracurricular subjects?
Not sure, but there were definitely extracurricular activities going on fairly regularly - performances, art projects, etc.
!

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 7:10 pm
Thanks! Anyone with any info on LBY?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics