Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What did I do wrong? (brown rice question)
1  2  Next

all is good

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 1:01 am
I cooked chicken with brown rice on the stove top, put in a bit of water and duck sauce, for abt an 1 1/2, and the rice was still very hard, seemingly raw. What did I do wrong?!? (When cooking it in plain water, the package says it needs 45-50 minutes.)

bamamama

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:34 am
The more you add to the pot, the longer it takes things to come up to heat and the onger it takes things to cook. Did you put in enough water?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:35 am
Brown rice takes A LOT of liquid to cook it.

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 6:12 am
2 1/2 to 3 times water to rice.

little_mage

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 6:17 am
I was having a lot of trouble with brown rice and then I found this recipe: http://www.saveur.com/article/.....-Rice
Ever since, my rice has been coming out perfectly. It's a little more effort, but it really works.

jflower

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 6:58 am
I could never get rice to cook properly on the stovetop and was also not happy with the way the rice at the bottom of the pot burnt.

I started cooking rice in the microwave in a covered Pyrex dish - first 5 min. at power level 10, then 40-45 min at power level 5. It comes out great and I don't have to deal with washing a burnt pot.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 7:05 am
jflower wrote:
I could never get rice to cook properly on the stovetop and was also not happy with the way the rice at the bottom of the pot burnt.

I started cooking rice in the microwave in a covered Pyrex dish - first 5 min. at power level 10, then 40-45 min at power level 5. It comes out great and I don't have to deal with washing a burnt pot.

Please keep in mind though that brown rice needs more liquid. So the heating method isn't as important as the ratio of liquid to rice.

jflower

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 7:18 am
Actually, the heating method is important. The recipe on the bag of brown rice calls for 1 cup rice, 2 cups water.

I used the exact same recipe 2 different ways - stovetop & microwave. Result from the microwave was superior without changing ratio of water to rice at all. That was my experience.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 7:19 am
I never could make good rice; that 's why I got a steamer.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 8:27 am
brown rice or even chicken and brown rice always comes out great in oven the rice is never undercooked and u can leave it for hours in disposable pan I've tried this hundreds of times works with all types of rice just make sure to put enough liquid.

supermom!

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 8:32 am
all is good wrote:
I cooked chicken with brown rice on the stove top, put in a bit of water and duck sauce, for abt an 1 1/2, and the rice was still very hard, seemingly raw. What did I do wrong?!? (When cooking it in plain water, the package says it needs 45-50 minutes.)

Cooked chicken is dry and will absorb water. Brown rice needs double the amount of water to cook as white rice. I remember when I started cooking I was completely hopeless at making rice? Isnt that funny? Of all things...

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:02 am
Brown rice takes two-threee hours to cook on the stove. You need to keep adding water as it gets dry while cooking. I like the baked version better and its easier. It takes at least two hours to get baked.

all is good

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:44 am
Thank u e/o for your input!! it definitely seems like my problem was lack of liquid, and maybe a bit more cooking time was needed. oh well, I'll know for next time!!

cm

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:57 am
One more thing - when cooking rice on the stovetop, no peeking! The more you let the steam out, the longer it will take.

Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add one cup brown rice, reduce heat to barely simmering, cover tightly, and go away for a while. Should be near done at 45 minutes - then open and check, to make sure it doesn't scorch.

Add more water (and possibly more time) if there are other ingredients in the pot.

Enjoy!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:39 am
all is good wrote:
Next time you make this, follow the directions on the package precisely.
Use 1 cup rice and 2 1/4 cups water. Then add seasonings (like duck sauce which you mentioned.)
Bring to a boil.
Lower heat to tiniest flame possible, keep pot covered, and cook like that for 50 minutes. Set the timer so that you know when to turn it off.
Fluff rice with fork.
Perfect every time.

CatLady

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:44 am
The type of brown rice matters as well - I found that brown basmati rice is foolproof, delicious, and did I mention foolproof? You might want to invest in a rice cooker, because it makes cooking any kind of grain a breeze!

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 12:39 pm
I like to brown the rice ( pun unintended) with a little oil before adding in the water and spice.
also make sure it cookes on a low bubble. it should be ready in an hour plus. I never time mine. I will try to concentrate how long I cook it next time.
also dont mix while its cooking it makes it mushy.

shnitzel

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 12:48 pm
I steam my brown rice.

I put in a lot more water than the rice ie: 2 cups rice and 6 cups water. Once it boils I boil for 30 minutes drain the extra water and let sit covered for 5 minutes. It comes out perfect and fluffy.

happy mom1

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:49 pm
I once tried brown rice in the oven with chicken. I t cooked for hours and hours and I kept adding water... It was horrible embarrassed
Any tips how to make brown rice in the oven?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 3:18 pm
HERE ARE "Mrs Bissli (aka Rice Maven)'s GOLDEN RULES OF COOKING RICE"

1. Rinse rice. At least twice or possibly three times, so you can wash out starch.

2. SOAK RICE. This is very very important. Measure appropriate amount of water
and soak for at least 30minutes, preferably 1-2hours. This allows rice kernel to
absorb water so it cooks more evenly and avoids hard centre.

For stovetop, 1.5x amount of rice for white rice, 2x amount of rice for brown rice.
I don't cook/bake rice in the oven but I susupect you should use less.

3. Use a heavy/thick bottomed pot with a tight lid.

4. Start with medium to high flame till water/liquid boils. Then turn to the LOWEST FLAME,
KEEP THE LID TIGHT, NO PEEKING.

5. Once you turn off the flame, LEAVE IT STEAMING for at least 10minutes.
If you're concerned about burned bottom/uneven cooking, you can lift the lid
quickly and stir the top and bottom, but again keep the lid closed after that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen