Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Asking Cleaning Lady to pay for Damages
1  2  3  4  5  Next

allrgymama

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 6:41 pm
Question: if a cleaning lady damages or breaks something in your house, is it okay to ask her to pay for repairs? Does it matter what was damaged? Does it matter if she is FT, PT or once-weekly help?

Context: last week, when my cleaning lady was done polishing my candlesticks, she screwed the top piece on to the stem wrong and bent the whole thing out of shape. I know that she must have tried forcing it because I was the one who unscrewed it and it was fine when I left it for her. It was bent at such an angle that I could not have used it because a candle would have been dripping wax everywhere.

I told her, repeatedly, that it would have to be fixed and I would have to tell her how much it ultimately was to fix (letting it go without saying that she would be responsible).

Baruch Hashem, my mother was able to bring them into Boro Park and get it fixed on the spot for only $40.

When my cleaning lady came in today, I asked her how she would like me to take it out of her pay (all today, a little each week, etc).

She was visibly thrown. It seems that she was under the impression that I was going to tell her how much the repair cost only so that she would have context for my 'You have to be more careful; these things are expensive to fix' comment. She did not think she would have to pay.

Ultimately, she decided (even after I told her that I would excuse it this time, but could not excuse it another time; I don't have the money to spare) that she was not comfortable with the idea of continuing to work for me and being afraid that would break something and have to pay for the repair -- she has to pay for a cab and a babysitter to come to me and that's an additional (hypothetical; this is the first time something like this has happened) expense she can't afford. So she quit.

Was I wrong to ask her to pay? I've had two cleaning ladies (in the past) who broke a glass shelf in my fridge while cleaning and it cost $30 to repair. Neither one batted an eye at the idea of having the cost taken out of what I pay them.

I was totally thrown when she quit. Was I wrong?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 6:47 pm
no, you weren't wrong. but she had the right to quit. plenty of cleaning ladies get away with breaking things in others' homes. not everyone cares to deduct wages for damages. you certainly had the right to ask, and she had the right to quit. did you pay for her traveling costs? you mentioned a cab. around here, paying traveling expenses is standard. if she had to pay transportation on her own, I can see quitting.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 6:47 pm
I have never asked a cleaning lady to pay for something she broke. And they have -- from a huge Waterford crystal vase that cost over $500 over 35 years ago to a large painting frame, etc.

My opinion is that mistakes happen. We are all human. I have broken many things myself and am probably much more careless than they are.

I think that a reminder to be careful as repairs can be costly is at most (I don't even do that -- I can see they usually feel bad enough about what happened) called for.

This also depends on how reliable your help is overall, how dependent you are on them, how long they've been with you, if you fully trust them, etc.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 6:50 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I have never asked a cleaning lady to pay for something she broke. And they have -- from a huge Waterford crystal vase that cost over $500 over 35 years ago to a large painting frame, etc.

My opinion is that mistakes happen. We are all human. I have broken many things myself and am probably much more careless than they are.

I think that a reminder to be careful as repairs can be costly is at most (I don't even do that -- I can see they usually feel bad enough about what happened) called for.

This also depends on how reliable your help is overall, how dependent you are on them, how long they've been with you, if you fully trust them, etc.

the cleaning lady seems to have forced the candlesticks, according to op. there's a difference between mistakes and experimenting with the structural integrity of someone else's expensive items. many cleaning ladies truly do make mistakes, but even then, the employer has every right to ask for reimbursement. whether or not she chooses to do it is entirely up to her.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 6:54 pm
My cleaning lady clogged both of my sinks and it's gonna cost a pretty penny to call a plumber to repair them. I wouldnt dream of docking her pay. Expenses are bashert from heaven, and if you deduct it from her pay, you'll just have another $40 unexpected expense some other way.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 6:56 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

the cleaning lady seems to have forced the candlesticks, according to op. there's a difference between mistakes and experimenting with the structural integrity of someone else's expensive items. many cleaning ladies truly do make mistakes, but even then, the employer has every right to ask for reimbursement. whether or not she chooses to do it is entirely up to her.

Yes, though even forcing it can be done by mistake. Do you really think she intended to damage the candlesticks? If so, then yes, she should be responsible. My guess though is that she may have been irresponsible in terms of not being careful to put them back carefully and forced them in the process, but I doubt it was intentional damage.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 6:56 pm
I haven't asked my cleaning help to reimburse me for the damages they have done.

OOC, where did you fix your silver? I need to repair something too.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:00 pm
I wouldn't dream of it. Mistakes happen. I break stuff the whole time. People do stupid things, like screwing things the wrong way.

Unless they are breaking things on purpose, in which case, get rid of them.

(I do not ask my cleaning lady to do stuff unless I trust them to do it well, or I live with the consequences. So I do the laundry)

I think it is cruel and horrible to ask someone who is working for minimum wage to pay for mistakes. Maybe it means her kid won't get new shoes this season, or they will be late on the rent.

Sorry, you sound like a victorian.

b from nj

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:01 pm
I agree with the posters who said that you should NOT have asked your cleaning lady to pay. I've had cleaning help ruin my leichter & then tape it together & I still never thought to charge her. Mistakes happen & it was not done intentionally, that is for sure. When my leichter needed fixing, I shlepped it to a repair shop quite a distance away (but it was the closest one to my house) & I never even mentioned it to her.

I don't blame her at all for quitting. I would have done the same. It's not as though cleaning help are getting paid tons of money that they can afford to be responsible for mistakes that inadvertantly happen such as the one you described.

Good luck finding a new one..

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:01 pm
Oh, and if you don't have the money to spare, clean your own house. Or live with broken candlesticks.

Such hardships. Can you imagine the suffering?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:02 pm
Raisin wrote:
I wouldn't dream of it. Mistakes happen. I break stuff the whole time. People do stupid things, like screwing things the wrong way.

Unless they are breaking things on purpose, in which case, get rid of them.

(I do not ask my cleaning lady to do stuff unless I trust them to do it well, or I live with the consequences. So I do the laundry)

I think it is cruel and horrible to ask someone who is working for minimum wage to pay for mistakes. Maybe it means her kid won't get new shoes this season, or they will be late on the rent.

Sorry, you sound like a victorian.
That could have been said nicer.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:05 pm
Raisin wrote:
Oh, and if you don't have the money to spare, clean your own house. Or live with broken candlesticks.

Such hardships. Can you imagine the suffering?

While I agree with the outcome as I said above, I think you're being a little harsh on OP. She probably didn't realize some of the points mentioned here and after all she did ask what we thought. Please let's DLKZ.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:09 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Yes, though even forcing it can be done by mistake. Do you really think she intended to damage the candlesticks? If so, then yes, she should be responsible. My guess though is that she may have been irresponsible in terms of not being careful to put them back carefully and forced them in the process, but I doubt it was intentional damage.

I've definitely seen cleaning ladies who are consistently too harsh on delicate items. I very much doubt they treat their own items like that. it can happen by accident, sure. I'm not saying that everybody should deduct pay for these things, but I do think that it is a legitimate option. ftr, I've never done so, but I don't ask my cleaning lady to clean anything breakable.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:15 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

I've definitely seen cleaning ladies who are consistently too harsh on delicate items. I very much doubt they treat their own items like that. it can happen by accident, sure. I'm not saying that everybody should deduct pay for these things, but I do think that it is a legitimate option. ftr, I've never done so, but I don't ask my cleaning lady to clean anything breakable.

If my cleaning lady worked that way she would no longer be my cleaning lady. While I am very tolerant of accidents, even ones that perhaps could have been prevented, I want to be able to trust someone who works here to generally work carefully. You should be able to have your cleaning lady clean/use something breakable without a major concern. If you cannot, she is probably not the right person to be working for you.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:23 pm
I understand the dilemma. My parents' cleaning lady threw out a whole bag of cleaners items (that I guess she thought was garbage) worth several hundred dollars for sure. My parents were fuming because she often makes silly mistakes like that but she is loyal and they are using her probably for about 8-10 years once-three times a week. They lecture her and that's it.

Had it been me, I would think that for a large expense like that, I would ask her to contribute. For $40, I would tell her that it cost that much and try to be careful in the future (but not ask her to pay for it). That's just me.

Liba

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:26 pm
"The servant is technically responsible for breakage of things when he is working in the house; however, Halacha pleads with the employer not to enforce this right in most instances, since the value of the items broken is usually small and the employer can absorb this loss better than the employee. It will be an even greater act of kindness on behalf of the employer if the broken object is of great value."

allrgymama

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:27 pm
Wow. That's a lot of hate coming from some of you. Calm down, please.

@mummiedearest: she used to live near me and recently moved. When she did, she upped her hourly rate by $1 to cover the cab costs. So yes, I pay for her traveling expenses (not something my boss did for me when I had to commute 1/2 an hour daily by car).

And I don't think of silver as 'breakable'.

@OOTBubby: I have a number of expensive things in my house (mostly presents and things I got when setting up house). I have reiterated to her over and over again -- preventively; she hasn't broken anything before) that she needs to be careful because these things are expensive. She does everything very well which is one of the reasons that I was so stunned when I saw the candlesticks. It's not like she was cleaning a a glass with wet soapy hands and it slipped. She had to have been forcing this really hard to bend it so out of shape.

Also, as far as unintentional or intentional: I know she didn't mean to do it on purpose. But I don't understand why, when she gave the first turn and it didn't go, she didn't stop to actually look and see why it wasn't going or call me downstairs to ask for help. Or why, once she was done and saw that it was damaged, she didn't call me downstairs right away to say 'I'm not sure how that happened, but it happened and I'm sorry.' (She still didn't apologize.)

@Mama Bear: to be honest, I have had so many 'expenses' in the last year because of other people's stupidity and swallowed so many repair costs that I simply can't deal with another $40 on top of what's already been thousands of dollars because of a bunch of people.

@ra_mom: my mother happened to be in town that night, so she took it from Lakewood to Grand Sterling Silver on 13th and 50th. My family has a relationship with the store there, so I don't know if they gave my mother a better-than-usual price.

@Raisin: I don't know what cleaning ladies in your neighborhood make, but mine was getting paid $11 an hour. Last I checked, that's a couple dollars MORE than minimum wage. And, as I said, she increased her rate when she started needing a cab. She is most likely an illegal immigrant and not paying taxes so she walks home with everything. Her rent is probably lower than mine, her food costs are lower than mine, her clothing costs are lower than mine and so on.

To be honest? If she works PT - 20 hours a week - cleaning houses, she's making more money than I am. Thank God my husband has a job.

And she's cleaned my silver before. I had no reason to think that she wouldn't do it right this time.

And I skimp on other things to have a cleaning lady. And it's necessary for my shalom bayis.

Geez. Judgey much?

Tova

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:41 pm
I would not ask for such a thing - as others have said, I'm human, make plenty of mistakes myself. I've jammed the copier at work plenty of times I'm sure over my work career, and about a year ago spilled a cup of water accidentally on my company's laptop and it would not start. I brought it to the Tech Team and they so nicely said - mistakes can happen; that's why we have insurance.

I want someone who is working in my house to be comfortable to best do their job, not to always be nervous about breakage.

myfriends715

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:45 pm
can you give me her number? I'm looking for a cleaning lady and besides this accident she sounds reliable

allrgymama

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:51 pm
I PMed you.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics