Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tipat Chalav= nuts!
1  2  3  4  Next

Sara255

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:03 am
Does anyone else have horrible experiences with Tipat Chalav? I am shocked that the people I have been seeing are meant to treat my baby. They handle the baby so roughly and practically stab him when they give him shots. They yell at me for just about anything and I heard that they are all like this. Is this true? Is there any way to circumvent them?

By the way, some examples of what happened to me and people I know:
They told me I was lying to them and that I am a bad mother for not wanting to give my baby shots. I said, I do want to give him shots, that's why I'm here! They yelled, you're lying! (huh?)

At my baby's one month checkup, they yelled at me, he's a pag (preemie). I'm like, no he's not. they yelled, yes he is, and he was born before 37 weeks! I said, nope. they said, you're lying!!! Rolling Eyes

Then they literally stab the baby with the shot and don't do anything about the blood. I had to use my shirt to apply pressure to his wound. I asked her for something for the blood and she threw a cotton ball in my general direction.

They yell at me for coming. Then they yell at other ladies for coming late.They say, who gave you this appointment? I say, you. They said, well I wouldn't have given to you except you refused all other appointments. I said, I did?? I don't remember such a thing, I only didn't want the 8:00 AM appointment and this was the second one you offered me. They said, you're lying!!!

They told me today that only one side of my baby's neck is developed, and taught me and another mother "how to hold the baby". The other mother is a meah shearim lady who was holding child number who knows what. she just rolled her eyes at me when the nurse told her that her baby's neck is only half developed as well.
they told someone else that one of their baby's eyes is bigger than the other. They also said, your baby is not big enough. you are a bad mother. (!!!)

now they told me my baby has a hernia. I am gonna check it out but I am quite doubtful.... to say the least. I can't believe we pay for this service.

I hope I'll have better luck when I switch neighborhoods. Is there any hope?

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:14 am
I've had pretty bad experiences at Tipat Chalav, though nothing like what you describe. That's why I haven't taken her since she was 7 months old and she's now 17 months. I'm not interested in being yelled at and criticized for not feeding her enough (she refuses to eat), "spoiling" her because I try to comfort her wehn she's crying and I do not let her CIO at night, being told that she's too old to be nursing, etc. I know someone in my neighborhood just went to a different nurse that was not officially our neighborhood's nurse. Do you think you can try something like taht? So sorry that you are being treated this way. you should not go back!

e1234

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:14 am
I go to tipat chalav at the klalit clinic near me and I don't have any of these issues

chani8

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:15 am
I've had to deal with Tipat Chalav in a few different places, and this horror story of yours does not sound typical.

I'm so sorry you had such a bad time.

Yes, it does get better. Maybe you can just not go there again until you move to the new place.

kalsee

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:18 am
Quote:
. I can't believe we pay for this service.

actually it's free.

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:20 am
I was quite glad when we moved and were able to switch clinics. I think sometimes it's just the luck of the draw with the nurse. At our current clinic the nurse already knows us (child #3, #2 at this clinic)...she knows not to even ask certain things, and what shots we don't give.

How's your Hebrew? Sometimes if they think you're "fresh off the plane" they don't treat you so well, because they know you won't make a fuss.

Ariellush

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:21 am
Yes, they are nuts. I had horrible experiences with Tipat Chalav all the time and the nurses and their doctors only wasted my time and energy with their negative comments and false alarms, until the moment I found out that I am not legally obliged to go there for advice or waging. Going to Tipat Chalav is not mandatory. I decided to go for vaccines only and I would be happy to find a private place to do that, for $$$$$ of course, just to avoid them. And also, I know some other women annoyed by them.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:21 am
kalsee wrote:
Quote:

actually it's free.

No it's not. I had to pay something for both my boys. Once was with the Kupat Cholim we use and once was TC at a different Kupah.

And I've never had those kinds of problems. The only issues I ever had was when they'd tell me the baby is too short for his age. I asked the nurse what she thinks I should do about it, hang him by his ankles from the laundry line every day?

Find yourself somewhere else to go.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:30 am
Mine isn't like this at all. Mine patiently shows a booklet of safety with pictures, such as appropriate car seats, etc., does thorough development tests, discusses medical conditions respectfully, provides pita triangles and gevina levena, and a comfy nursing room, and is very helpful.

I heard that you can get vaccines for free, and skip all that advice. But that they dislike you for doing that and treat you worse. In certain areas, I guess.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:41 am
Mine here is wonderful. I wasn't in love with the nurse we had in Y-m, but nothing like the horror you describe! Go to another clinic.

Sara255

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:42 am
Maybe I should open up a new clinic for Americans to give shots and well visits. I'd make a killing. and it would be a chessed. (I am anyway a healthcare admin Very Happy )

to the lady who said she goes to the tipat chalav in the klalit clinic... so do I. where is yours located? (I would be shocked if it's the same one)

I do love the pediatrician I use. Maybe I'll ask her if there is any alternative. I can't really not go because my baby needs his shots on time.... he's only 2 months old so there are a lot of important ones still.

Ariellush

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:44 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I heard that you can get vaccines for free, and skip all that advice. But that they dislike you for doing that and treat you worse. In certain areas, I guess.

They already dislike me, because I refuse to comply. Can you tell me what worse than that may happen? They are not nice, and their behavior is close to bullying, but what they can do if I am not nice? And would their reaction be legal at all?

I keep asking them before every appointment is it legal to refuse any of their services other then vaccination. The answer is affirmative so far.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:49 am
I just go for vacines and completely ignore all their hare-brained "advice."

I made this decision when I brought in my infant son for a routine appointment, After looking at her CDC charts, the nurse declared, "Ma'am, your son is too tall!!!"

I deadpanned: "Should I cut off his head or his feet"?

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 7:18 am
YESHASettler wrote:
kalsee wrote:
Quote:

actually it's free.

No it's not. I had to pay something for both my boys. Once was with the Kupat Cholim we use and once was TC at a different Kupah.

Tipat Chalav is free for all children born after 01/01/2010. I paid for my first two, not for my last (May, 2010). And I believe that beyond the 4th or 5th in a family it was always free, but I could be wrong.

BTW, you can refuse ALL their services and just not go. You are not obligated to vaccinate your children if you don't want to. I don't bother seeing the developmental paed because my regular paediatrician actually does developmental checks when I bring in the kids for any other reason. But the Israeli trained paeds don't, so it really depends on your physician.

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:14 am
my TC lady is actually really nice, but I take what she says w/ a grain of salt. They are very into "the charts" so when my super petite friend takes her baby in & they say he's small she's like, look at me.

kb

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:18 am
I know a lot of people complain about Tipat Chalav, and I was really worried about going. Turns out the nurse we were assigned to is very nice (a bit old, perhaps, and had of hearing, but...) and she doesn't bother me about anything. She pointed out a few things that I knew about already from doctors and stuff, and was actually the only member of the medical system here that followed up with me about treatment and progress. My son was pretty small for his age, and while she told me where he was holding, she told me not to worry, and that we'd chart his growth and see his progress for the next while.

She always answers all my questions - like when I should start feeding him what, etc... and in general, I'm very happy with her.

OP, maybe ask to have an appointment with a different nurse. Ask around your neighborhood until you find a nurse people are happy with. There are good and bad staff everywhere. It's not specific to tipat chalav.

Also, sometimes you have to learn to ignore things. Let things go. You sound (imo) like you're overreacting, but if you're really not happy, then just ask for a different nurse.

mizle10

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:22 am
The best thing they ever told me: My babies tush crack isn't symmetrical. They can be totally insane.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:24 am
G-d bless America! Freedom of religion, freedom of choice, freedom to not tolerate abuse of any kind by anyone.
"You get what you pay for, cheap and free are worth exactly that, or less."

amother

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:25 am
mizle10 wrote:
The best thing they ever told me: My babies tush crack isn't symmetrical. They can be totally insane.

So I was told by my private pediatricina that my baby's crack is absolutely perfect! Ridiculous. As if I didn't know that my baby was perfect in every single way, including the most important one! Rolling Laughter

Ariellush

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
G-d bless America! Freedom of religion, freedom of choice, freedom to not tolerate abuse of any kind by anyone.
"You get what you pay for, cheap and free are worth exactly that, or less."

But what about the mandatory mental health screening for all children in USA, including babies? What happened with the freedom of choice and with the freedom to say no to abuse? It seems that Tipat Chalav does the same thing, but in Israel it is not requested by law like in some USA states. Israel only imported some stupid stuff from USA. Exploding anger

Last edited by Ariellush on Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics