Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Sheva bracha ideas.. HELP!

Ay Jay Jay

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 9:48 pm
My first time hosting a sheva bracha and I need some help between two ideas:

1) I made a birthday party over Shavuos for DH and I, we hosted it in our apartment, which is an apartment.. not big. I had my dining table with all the food, and people sat on the couches, and we had a lot of folding chairs that people put wherever they wanted to sit, and a few on the balcony. It was nice and practical, and simple, easy clean up too. We had 30+ people. The sheva bracha will have a little more than 20, although it wasn't too crowded with over 30. 20-25 will be nicer and it will be casual.
2) A friend of mine lives near by and is 9 months pregnant. She offered me to use her backyard. I thought it would be too much for her since shes so preggerz, but she said its fine, just in the yard and no messy in the house besides leaving food in the oven to keep warm. I would set up tables in the yard & it would be more formal, but obviously a lot more work w/ shleping and moving food and setting up tables, putting them away, and not being in my own place, etc.

What do you guys think I should do?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 7:43 am
A few preliminary question:

What do you do if you host it in the friend's backyard and it rains? (OK you can tell I'm in UK...)

Do you have a car AND people helping you schlepping the foods/drinks AND cleaning up afterwards?

So if I understand your post correctly, you did 30+ sit-down casual party at your flat, right?
(As opposed to buffets). I once asked about buffet-style sheva berachot and remember most people preferred proper sitdown meal. If you can seat 20-25 (make sure you include the newlyweds and yourselves), it would be less of a hassle to do at your place. (Easy to find things, there's always something you need at last minute, which is easier to cope with in a familiar place).

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 8:21 am
Personally I would not do it at the friends' garden, even if she says she doesn't mind (unless she was "co-hosting"). And sitting at a table is definitely preferable to buffet for Sheva Brochos...I'd figure a way to squash it all in, most people would not complain...

MMCH

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:02 am
I agree, I would do it in my own house just for my own peace of mind. I would be soo nervous that a)she would drop like a fly and go deliver and ud be stuck entertaing in her house and not have a clue where anything is b)ud be running around like a chicken bring/shlepping/back and forth
I find these thigns are alwaaaays easier in ur own house. yes ur house will be a royal wreck, but u know where everything is, u cud slowly do the shopping and not have to make 600 trips bc u frogot something like napkins.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:04 am
I would say backyard. If you are the type to make sure everything looks as is after its over and you can handle all preps then why not. The issue is the weather. What happens if it rains or is really hot?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days