Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Lose Your Tummy; Healing Diastasis Recti
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:38 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Out of curiosity, is diastasic recti not usually addressed in postpartum checkups at the OB?

My midwife checks at 2 weeks and at 6 weeks and lets me know about exercising in conjunction with it. I've had it really, really bad with some pregnancies, but last time I checked I only had a fingertip gap....
(I still have stomach flab, but not the vertical mountain heap I used to get.)

No, never. None of my midwives ever addressed it. Really annoyed about that.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:49 am
IMHO they only check what could be risky for health, not for looks...
I'm sure I have it bad. I'll check.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:53 am
I just learned about diastasis recti from another thread in this section about 2 weeks ago. I never heard of it before!

When I hear about an intriguing or problem-solving idea, I like to do lots of research!

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:59 am
So I watched the videos and I cannot seem to figure out what I am meant to be feeling and how many fingers....

eschaya

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:39 pm
I have diastasis recti. It appeared after the birth of dc #3, I did lots of exercise and eventually I forgot about it. Fastforward 3.5 years later when I became preg with dc #4 (currently in the midst) and as soon as my uterus started growing the split reappeared. I asked my OB if there is anything to do about it... seems like other than exercise which does not completely fix the prob, there is only surgery and that's not really an option. So looks like I'm going to have to deal with it...
The only prob it really gives me is that when I do sit-ups (prepreg) I get a gross looking mound in my abdomen, but really it's not a prob other than that weirdness. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with belly flab.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:44 pm
eschaya wrote:
I have diastasis recti. It appeared after the birth of dc #3, I did lots of exercise and eventually I forgot about it. Fastforward 3.5 years later when I became preg with dc #4 (currently in the midst) and as soon as my uterus started growing the split reappeared. I asked my OB if there is anything to do about it... seems like other than exercise which does not completely fix the prob, there is only surgery and that's not really an option. So looks like I'm going to have to deal with it...
The only prob it really gives me is that when I do sit-ups (prepreg) I get a gross looking mound in my abdomen, but really it's not a prob other than that weirdness. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with belly flab.

You need to do the right type of exercise to heal this. Sit-ups are bad bad bad for you if you have separated muscles. Yes, you can fix the prob without surgery, you just have to know how. Please check out www.diastasisrehab.com.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:42 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
So I watched the videos and I cannot seem to figure out what I am meant to be feeling and how many fingers....

I couldn't figure it out either until my instructor showed me. Some things are best demonstrated in real life rather than reading about them....

rain

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:55 pm
I have such a stomach after having DC and I could not fignure out why, I am very skinny everywhere else!! this could definately be what I have!!
is it worth spening the money on the splint

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:59 pm
rain wrote:
I have such a stomach after having DC and I could not fignure out why, I am very skinny everywhere else!! this could definately be what I have!!
is it worth spending the money on the splint?

I can't answer for you what is worth what. That's like asking me if it's worth joining a gym. How can I answer that for you?

The splint really helps. It is hot though, so you may want to wait until the winter:) I'm way too hot to wear it during the day in 100 degrees now, even indoors!

If you can take a look at the splint IRL and are a bit crafty, you can definitely make your own.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 5:44 pm
You know now that I think about it I remember the midwife checking for this.

Strangely, she told me that I SHOULD do sit ups. So is this technique a new idea? Has it been approved by current scientific thinking?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 6:25 pm
They said it was in some medical journal, but I forgot those details. Maybe you can find it on Julie Tuppler's site.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 7:30 am
I tried. I can't even put a finger completely. Could I have extra skin only??

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 10:18 am
thanks for posting! I want to get the splint but have a couple questions. is it comfortable? my stomach muscles ache a lot, I think cuz they're so weak, and I really need something that will be comfy. I tried another splint that was really no good- kept rolling up, and also dug into my skin at the edges... what is your experience with this splint? also, how do I know what size I need? I went to order one and it asks what measurements you want. I measured my waist (dont even know what spot to measure) and it came out that I need a size large- and I'm not a large person. whoever has any clue I would really appreciate it Smile

Kumphort

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 9:28 pm
Is this something that can only be done a certain amount of time after childbirth, and then your muscles have been this way for too long?

Is there a certain width that these exersizes will help until? Since my twins, who are 3, I can stick a fist through, I think surgery will be my only help at this point.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 9:33 pm
Hey! I actually lost half an inch off my stomach. But now when I suck in my stomach and look down at my abdomen, there is a visible lump sticking out above and to the right of my belly button. I THOUGHT my abdomen was a little off-kilter all this time, like there was more of it on the right than on the left. But now it is much more defined. I hope that's a good thing...

Slightly disturbing. LOL

myself

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 8:48 am
Gp2.0, T&P and anyone else who tried it, did the technique help you? Did it give you a flatter stomach?

gp2.0

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 10:49 am
myself wrote:
Gp2.0, T&P and anyone else who tried it, did the technique help you? Did it give you a flatter stomach?

Well I started a pregnancy around the time I last posted so I gave up on it...but now that I'm postpartum I'm thinking of starting it again. My midwife said I have a two finger gap. She recommended a PT to teach me exercises which I haven't gone to yet. But she also mentioned this technique, though not by name.

myself

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 11:14 am
Well, it seems to be a way to get pregnant. Didn't T&P have a baby the same time as you?
I suppose neither of you will be able to know much then, oh well.
I guess I'll have to found out myself! Wink

gp2.0

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 11:34 am
myself wrote:
Well, it seems to be a way to get pregnant. Didn't T&P have a baby the same time as you?
I suppose neither of you will be able to know much then, oh well.
I guess I'll have to found out myself! Wink

LOL. Yes she did. Same day even, I think. Very Happy

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 10:07 am
Bump.
Does this really work?
I'm two months postpartum and starting to get slightly sad over my mummy tummy, which is due to diastasis.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise