Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Baby portraits
1  2  Next

fruitsalad

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:40 pm
I would like to hear your experinces with taking portraits of ur kiddos!

sears
jc penny
target

any where else and what info can you give me?

thank you

sunspot

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:44 pm
where are you located?

Hashemlovesme

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:47 pm
you can get great inexpensive pkgs @ sears. but it all depends on which photographer you get. I went w/ dd & also for a 4 generations pic & there were so many amazing shots we simply couldn't choose! I went last Summer to get a fam pic & one of each of my (2 at the time) kids & the lady was so impatient & not creative & not flexible (but we did get "the shot").

fruitsalad

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:57 pm
im in brooklyn

you had to go pick up the pictures?

id rather have them mail than make a nother trip tp pick it up

ntm1

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:00 pm
I've gone with my twins to sears twice and was pretty happy. If your kids co-operate then the pics will most likely will be nice. They were extremely patient with my kids. They normally use a white backdrop but if you request- they have some really nice ones

Yes you need to come back at some point. It takes 2 weeks for it to be ready.

sunspot

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:18 pm
If you are interested in former students doing it at a discounted rate, let me know. They do really awesome work!

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:31 pm
Picture People- in Staten Island, you can always find coupons and you get the pictures about an hour later
JC Penney- SI or Queens, you have to go back to pick up the pictures
Olan Mills-Manhattan, a block away from Macys, got great pictures, always good coupons but takes 2 weeks to get the pictures
Target-there isn't one around here who takes pictures
Kiddy Kandids is somewhere on the other end of Brooklyn, they usually have a good coupon out, the train stops a few blocks away and its not the best neighborhood
Sears- Kings Plaza or Beverly? street, I was told Beverly street is a lot better but same issue as Kiddy Kandids, not a great neighborhood

did I miss anything? or you can go to a local place

fruitsalad

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:52 pm
webdesignermom what do u mean I love discouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bnm I spoke to jc penny they told me thay can mail it

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:24 pm
fruitsalad wrote:
webdesignermom what do u mean I love discouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bnm I spoke to jc penny they told me thay can mail it
if you go to jc penny in staten island I would suggest to just go to Picture People. same mall...

miami85

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:45 pm
Last year I had my baby taken for a bunch of photo shoots, I mainly used Picture People (roosevelt field) and Sears (2 diff locations). With the understanding that it somewhat depends on the actual photographer, overall I was more impressed with Sears than picture people. Picture people--unless you get a "membership' or the "bundle" package, they are very expensive, their backdrops are rather boring and especially for older infants/toddlers, I was extremely UNIMPRESSED with the lack of props and the fact that they put the baby right down on the floor of the backdrop which was all scuffed up--one time not only did my baby's outfit get all dirty on the tops of his feet so I had to choose a proof that didn't show the tops of his feet, but the smudges were in the prints and I made them redo them. Another time, I complained about the dirty backdrops, and this was in mid January, they said that they just got new backdrops for the holidays--I couldn't tell! With sears I felt that they handled babies much better, better backdrops, better selection of pictures to choose from and packages were better priced.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:45 pm
I was also disappointed that a pricey place like Picture People's backdrops were so dirty, at first when I saw them I just figured it doesn't show up in the pictures because I've never noticed it in other people's, but it sure did show up - and that's even when I chose the ones with the gray backdrop! Even with the discount packages they're a more expensive place, and the discount packages you can only use for one pose so if you want any prints of a different one it's something close to $20 a sheet. Places like Sears and JC Penney have specials sometimes that are more like $4 a sheet. Haven't tried them yet but that's the plan for next time; I thought I'd go to picture people because they are "better" but since I was disappointed there anyway (I mean, it was ok. But not SPECIAL. And those dirty backdrops...) why should I bother spending more on it again.

I also did Olan Mills once and was not impressed. They were slow, there weren't enough people working there. I didn't think my photographer was great, but maybe different locations are better. I didn't know that you could only choose your poses on the spot, I thought I could order off the website once the pictures were taken, but that costs twice as much. The computer program didn't give me a preview of how it would crop for different print sizes, and my baby's adorable tootsies got chopped right off. When I complained, they said tough luck and wouldn't let me choose a different pose. I still say it's their fault, what kind of photographer doesn't realize that you will want the feet in the full-body newborn picture?! And again, whatever discount package you get is ok but then additional sheets are like $13 each, no coupon or discount or anything. So overall I will not be going back there again either. Sigh.

I do still plan to try JCP or Sears for future portraits, but I also make an effort to take LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of home snapshots, and from time to time I do that making sure that the baby is dressed nicely and in a good background. Even if they won't be the same great quality as the pros, if you take enough you are much more likely to capture your kid's real personality much more than some stranger. For wallet-size, 4x6, 5x7 sharing with the relatives, the quality will often be good enough, especially if you wash their faces and comb their hair like you do before going to the studio.

sunspot

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 8:55 pm
We have students who have taken our Professional Photography course and b'h take really great pics. Since they are starting out, they would be willing to do at discounted rate. I am not advertising just trying to pass along another venue of getting great portraits!

soulful music

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 9:05 am
webdesignermom wrote:
We have students who have taken our Professional Photography course and b'h take really great pics. Since they are starting out, they would be willing to do at discounted rate. I am not advertising just trying to pass along another venue of getting great portraits!

Can you please help me webdesignermom, I'd be interested in some students for a good price.
Thanks

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 9:45 am
Same here.

smile22

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 11:13 am

Last edited by smile22 on Thu, Jul 02 2015, 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

soulful music

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 11:37 am
smile22 wrote:
I know someone who does great pictures in her home. she is not expensive and does a awesome job.

took stunning pix of my baby.

Can you please post the name?
TIA

smile22

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 11:56 am

Last edited by smile22 on Thu, Jul 02 2015, 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

ringsher

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 12:12 pm
I'm interested in this too...what is a good price for portraits, whether using a store (like sears) or going to a personal photographer?

soulful music

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 12:45 pm
smile22 wrote:
*** (name and contact info deleted at photographer's request) ***

she will do it in her home- with of props or if you want she can take you to a park, beach ect...

Is she a photographer, does she have a website with her pics?
How much does she take?
Thanks

mandr

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 2:24 pm
JC Penney in the Palisades Mall near Monsey has a brown background that's dirty. As much as they tell you it won't show up in your prints, it sure does. I complained about it and they were able to Photoshop it out (or the equivalent) only after I called and spoke to the manager and waited like 2 weeks. Basically always check the backgrounds before you take the portraits. And if you see something tell the photographer to not get it in the picture if possible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art