Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Calling all graphic designers

igiveup

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:20 pm
Need to create a price sheet for a big potential client. I'm just starting out & not really sure what the basic prices for ads are. Can you guys help me out?? I need the prices for a full page, 1/2 a page 1/4 page, 2 inch banner & 1/8th of a page. Anyone???

MrsMom

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:22 pm
I personally charge by the hour and provide an estimated cost. Some clients can be a pain and some can be easygoing so you can never really tell how long it will take.

be good

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:34 pm
MrsMom wrote:
I personally charge by the hour and provide an estimated cost. Some clients can be a pain and some can be easygoing so you can never really tell how long it will take.

good answer. agreed.

as for how much you should charge per hour; entering the field as an entry level designer a handful of years ago I charged $20/hr. at this point, with many very happy clients, b"H, I am up to 55/hr, but less for non profits. People seem to think this is still low. I will raise it soon as I get the guts.

kb

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:49 pm
I don't do ads that much, but I'll never understand why a 1/2 page ad should cost less to be designed? (Someone once asked me if I charge less if it's black and white!) It's the same design, same challenge of fitting everything into a certain amount of space in an aesthetic manner... and I've never found that a half page ad takes any less time to design.

I like to give the client a range, and then, depending on how difficult they were, how challenging the design was for me, how much time it took, and how many revisions I had to do... I bill accordingly.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:02 pm
I do charge less for b/w and more for color ads. A color scheme takes more time for me than a b/w ad. But size doesn't matter too much. I also generally charge by the hour, but may estimate and quote a flat price if I think that works better (and if I know how the customer works).

OldYoung

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:11 pm
I would bill by the job, not by the exact hour, and specify how many revisions are included. At this point I can estimate pretty well how long each job should take and know what the rates are competitively, so I feel comfortable giving a quote and making slight adjustments if the needs of the job change. (And they usually do!)

I've seen entry level designers charge $20-25/hour and ones with decent experience charge $50+/hour. With regard to ads, it depends on the needs of the client. If it's part of a larger campaign, then many people will charge per campaign and not for the actual ad work. (That would mean unlimited amount of coordinating pieces- postcards, invitations, advertisements, email blasts, bentchers, programs, event gifts, etc. for a large fee.) Sometimes a client will want to have the ad run in many publications with slight changes to each (like monthly specials) and then you could work on a rate for the ad, and a rate for the revisions.

Google online to see some rates sheets for freelancers.

Remember, figuring out pricing takes a bit of trial-and-error until you get into your comfort zone.

Good luck!

kb

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:12 pm
It wasn't an ad - she had me design her a 10-page brochure, and wanted to pay less because it was black and white. I told her that with b/w, she saves on the printing - but it takes me just as much time to find the pictures in black and white as in color - in this particular case, maybe longer. And I charged her hardly anything, and she never even paid the full price - I emailed her once to remind, and she didn't respond. But for the $50 that she owes me, it's not worth making a big deal.

If she calls me again, then we'll see if I have the guts to remind her...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics