Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Where are we going wrong??
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ora_43

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
It just makes me sad that no matter how hard we work (and we're both educated people in decent jobs), we will just never make it to buying a house and such. It's crazy that we earn a decent income by American standards yet it doesn't feel that way.

Again, what you describe sounds very typical for the middle class, at least in my experience. What were you expecting it to feel like?

Liba

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 4:37 pm
ceo wrote:
I have comments about the above posters (new amother and Liba)

All I was trying to say was, people have choices. They need to decide where to cut their budget and realize that they can, without going insane or needing therapy, if they want to. They have to figure out where and how, but it is possible for most people to cut back at least a little.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 4:53 pm
ora_43 wrote:
amother wrote:
It just makes me sad that no matter how hard we work (and we're both educated people in decent jobs), we will just never make it to buying a house and such. It's crazy that we earn a decent income by American standards yet it doesn't feel that way.

Again, what you describe sounds very typical for the middle class, at least in my experience. What were you expecting it to feel like?

she's expecting that on a "middle class" salary they could afford a mini van and a house. I'm curious what fields she and her DH are in. she mentions they they are educated but making $98,100 between the 2 of them? is she part time?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:

she's expecting that on a "middle class" salary they could afford a mini van and a house. I'm curious what fields she and her DH are in. she mentions they they are educated but making $98,100 between the 2 of them? is she part time?

Im educated and not even making $40,000. I work full time (plus) so how does $98,000 make no sense?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Im educated and not even making $40,000. I work full time (plus) so how does $98,000 make no sense?

what field are you in and did you research average salaries before deciding on that career path? is your salary low because you are just starting out? if you're young that's to be expected.

eschaya

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
amother wrote:

Whoa! Since when does "educated" automatically indicate a 3 digit salary? I consider myself educated (masters degree, hoping to start a doctorate next year) and I work full time... and my annual salary is $55. It depends on the field and on location as well.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 8:24 pm
eschaya wrote:
amother wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
amother wrote:

Whoa! Since when does "educated" automatically indicate a 3 digit salary? I consider myself educated (masters degree, hoping to start a doctorate next year) and I work full time... and my annual salary is $55. It depends on the field and on location as well.

absolutely, but presumably you knew what the salary range was for your chosen field beforehand and pursued a career in it nevertheless, no?

in addition, the location factor swings both ways - higher salary in a higher cost of living area and vice versa.

Sparkle

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 9:03 pm
I have many clients come to me in similar financial situations (I'm a financial planner). 99.9% of the time once they start tracking they see that they are spending way more money towards things than they thought they were (food, take out, family trips, movie theater, restaurants, babysitting, etc.) All the little stuff really adds up each month. Find a website to track everything, or keep every single receipt and add it all up at the end of the month. I think you'll be surprised to see that it is a larger amount than you thought...

Sahmom

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 9:08 pm
Op, wanted to let you know that I have been thinking this as well. We are in the same bracket as you and I feel the same way. As for the groceries- I spend 1000 as well. Including meat and fish and fruit. And mostly no takeout. So I dont think its too much.
You are not alone

Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 10:21 pm
Raisin wrote:
Why do you need a second car? its a luxury, pure and simple. Unless you have to have it for work.

I would rather eat nicer food and take the bus or walk.

You obviously don't live "out of town" or in suburbia, America, where it is an absolute necessity to have 2 cars (unless one spouse is home all day, and even then, will not get out at all - not even to the grocery 15 miles away - NO BUSES). Totally depends where you live.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 5:21 am
Orchid wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Why do you need a second car? its a luxury, pure and simple. Unless you have to have it for work.

I would rather eat nicer food and take the bus or walk.

You obviously don't live "out of town" or in suburbia, America, where it is an absolute necessity to have 2 cars (unless one spouse is home all day, and even then, will not get out at all - not even to the grocery 15 miles away - NO BUSES). Totally depends where you live.

I do live out of town. Smile Where I live is in between suburban and inner city. Most families where I live have 2 cars as a matter of course. A few families manage without a car at all. they use buses and online delivery for groceries.

Well, if the OP lives in suburbia and needs to drive 10 miles to take her kids to school, or buy a loaf of bread thats another issue. But right now she seems to be managing with one car and is considering buying another. So obviously she is managing somehow.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:12 am
we make more than you do and don't have any cars.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 9:29 am
OP is in Brooklyn, not in suburbia.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

what field are you in and did you research average salaries before deciding on that career path? is your salary low because you are just starting out? if you're young that's to be expected.

I am young and starting out (finished college 2 years ago)... but it sounds like op and her husband are as well...

plus im working for a frum organization so im getting paid less then I should be in my field, (Im getting paid under average for someone just starting out) but at least im getting experience since I couldnt find a job in a company.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:01 pm
woa, I know you need it in the US, but we live ok yet very simply on less than $20,000/year in out of J-M, Israel. 3 kids, 2 in diapers, 1 on formula.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:06 pm
What Eltam said. And what CEO said: You can't have everything.

black sheep

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:48 pm
Sahmom wrote:
Op, wanted to let you know that I have been thinking this as well. We are in the same bracket as you and I feel the same way. As for the groceries- I spend 1000 as well. Including meat and fish and fruit. And mostly no takeout. So I dont think its too much.
You are not alone

I spend about 1000 a month on groceries too. I think it is a reasonable amount. when we went through a period where we had to be very careful about budgeting, I was able to bring it down to 200 a week (800 a month) and it was so stressful to plan meals, snacks, extras, all on a tight budget, and worry about every package of cookies I bought for the kids. when very necessary (as in you just don't have the money) it's one thing, but in general, I think 1000 a month for a small/medium size family is normal. and we don't do a lot of takeout, I bake mostly homemade, and we don't eat expensive meat except on special occasions. but fish, chicken, cheese, fruits and veges, they are all expensive! it adds up!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 9:50 pm
ora_43 wrote:
amother wrote:

OP here:

I was expecting at least to be able to save up to buy a house - I think that's to be expected for someone in middle class.

As for my our fields, DH is a teacher and I am a social worker working 30 hours a week. Yes we are both young and starting out.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:17 pm
I am sorry. teachers and social workers cant afford to buy a house in Jewish Brooklyn - not even likely in east brooklyn or bed stuy.

You could move oot like cleveland or even baltimore and afford to buy a house

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
amother wrote:

OP here:

I was expecting at least to be able to save up to buy a house - I think that's to be expected for someone in middle class.

As for my our fields, DH is a teacher and I am a social worker working 30 hours a week. Yes we are both young and starting out.

Neither of you are in high paying jobs. Housing in Brooklyn is EXPENSIVE.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics