Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I Hate Insurance Companies!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 2:13 pm
Just venting. I have been on phone all day with insurance trying to get IVF drugs.

First I called regular mail order pharmacy. Then I called and was told dr needs to call in authorization. Then I called to find out when they are coming, and I was told to contact my husband's union.

Then we had dr fax over list of meds to union for approval.

Then I was told we need letter of medical necessity sent to union, but still some meds not covered.

Banging head

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 2:20 pm
Hugs! While I have never gone through infertility myself, I can sympathise with your frustration regarding insurance companies- they can be very very annoying to deal with. you will speak to 4 people and get six different answers to your question.... that said, I believe that there are some organizations such as ATIME who may be able to help out with insurance advocacy.... good luck, hoping you'll have some good news very, very soon!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:35 am
Update: My insurance company approved the IVF procedure, meaning they will pay for everything but not co paymennts.

So I thought I could start meds.

No. They have to approve the meds. Doctor comes in once a week to read chart. Doctor won't be in until next thursday, so I don't know when I will get my meds. So I have to wait another month before starting IVF meds.

Im with stupid

bnm

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:47 am
I agree with the title. am going back and forth for 4 weeks already trying to get something approved for my 1 year old. 1-approved for generic that isn't available for a year already 2-approved but needs separate override... still waiting

leah66

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 12:07 pm
After a week of phone calls, we finally got approved... for an amount of 0. That didn't help much!

Fox

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:25 pm
Lots of hugs!

I can honestly say that dealing with insurance companies is probably the worst "trauma" that I've ever experienced, including losing a child.

Perhaps that sounds crazy to someone who hasn't experienced it, but I always found it easier to accept the basic nisoyon than to accept being treated callously; manipulated; or even accused of malfeasance as part of what can only be described as a conspiracy on the part of my insurance provider.

My bottom point came when our insurance company sent a letter by messenger at 4:59 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, threatening to stop paying any benefits because they claimed we "refused" to take our daughter home from the hospital. True, she was ready to come home -- but the insurance company was taking their time deciding on a vendor for the medical supplies she needed in order to be maintained at home. They were very well aware that we were shomer Shabbos, and the letter was a deliberate attempt to intimidate us and establish the fact that we were not "parenting" our child.

I became terrible depressed as a result of all this, so my DH suggested I speak with a therapist. We found someone who came highly recommended. He was very sympathetic, but he wound up using about 30 minutes of my 50-minute session to describe his own problems being reimbursed by insurance companies. So DH thought that his rav might be able to encourage me. I spoke with the rav for about an hour. He, too, was very sympathetic, and spent most of the time telling me about the insurance nightmares precipitated by the illness of his late wife.

It was actually funny: everyone not only agreed that it was pretty distressing, but added their own woes, too. At least I was in good company!

Eventually we had to sue the insurance company, and it was a wonderful feeling to hear the judge tell the lawyers representing them to pay up and hope they never had occasion to grace his courtroom again.

So don't be afraid to play hardball. With a little digging you can find a lawyer who will charge minimally (health care lawyers like to take on insurance companies on easy cases because it gives them a psychological advantage when they sue the companies on behalf of health care providers). Hatzlacha, and may we hear good news this time next year!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:00 pm
Fox wrote:

My bottom point came when our insurance company sent a letter by messenger at 4:59 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, threatening to stop paying any benefits because they claimed we "refused" to take our daughter home from the hospital. True, she was ready to come home -- but the insurance company was taking their time deciding on a vendor for the medical supplies she needed in order to be maintained at home. They were very well aware that we were shomer Shabbos, and the letter was a deliberate attempt to intimidate us and establish the fact that we were not "parenting" our child.

That's a terrible story! I am glad you sued.

I spoke to my drug insurance today. The medications are covered, but I just have to wait another month. Your experience is the worst I have ever heard.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:00 pm
Fox wrote:

That's a terrible story! I am glad you sued.

I spoke to my drug insurance today. The medications are covered, but I just have to wait another month. Your experience is the worst I have ever heard.

SplitPea

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:11 pm
We has many insurance issues. I ahve to say ATIMES insurance advocacy was WONDERFUL.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:50 pm
Fox wrote:
Lots of hugs!

I can honestly say that dealing with insurance companies is probably the worst "trauma" that I've ever experienced, including losing a child.

Perhaps that sounds crazy to someone who hasn't experienced it, but I always found it easier to accept the basic nisoyon than to accept being treated callously; manipulated; or even accused of malfeasance as part of what can only be described as a conspiracy on the part of my insurance provider.

I became terrible depressed as a result of all this, so my DH suggested I speak with a therapist. We found someone who came highly recommended. He was very sympathetic, but he wound up using about 30 minutes of my 50-minute session to describe his own problems being reimbursed by insurance companies. So DH thought that his rav might be able to encourage me. I spoke with the rav for about an hour. He, too, was very sympathetic, and spent most of the time telling me about the insurance nightmares precipitated by the illness of his late wife.

It was actually funny: everyone not only agreed that it was pretty distressing, but added their own woes, too. At least I was in good company!

Eventually we had to sue the insurance company, and it was a wonderful feeling to hear the judge tell the lawyers representing them to pay up and hope they never had occasion to grace his courtroom again.

So don't be afraid to play hardball. With a little digging you can find a lawyer who will charge minimally (health care lawyers like to take on insurance companies on easy cases because it gives them a psychological advantage when they sue the companies on behalf of health care providers). Hatzlacha, and may we hear good news this time next year!

That is absolutely horrible.

I am also really really sorry for your loss.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics