Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What soap/shampoo do you use for kids with eczema?
1  2  Next

whirlwind

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:18 am
My dds always have dry skin behind their legs but in the summer the eczema suddently explodes from the heat, swimming, etc. This season I'm trying to be proactive about keeping it in check. I've been doing aquaphor nightly and my 3 yo dd hasn't had an outbreak so far. 2 yo dd had it pretty bad behind her knees so I had to use steroid cream for a few days to get rid of it and now I'm trying to be religious about the aquaphor. My q is what soap/shampoo should I be using for them to minimize agitation? I currently use Pantene shampoo and Johnson&Johnson baby wash for both of them. Is there a procuct that is more natural/hypoallergenic and may help in preventing a problem this season? Please specify a brand and be as specific as possible so I can find the item. I live in USA. TIA.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:23 am
Daily aquaphor, especially after the bath is great for eczema. Pantene and J&J are pretty bad though. My daughter's allergist recommended Aveeno and that has been working well for us so far. Otherwise, I know people who use products from here (http://www.melaluca.com/) and are happy with them. Good luck!

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:25 am
Soap with sulfur calms skin, too

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:27 am
http://www.melaleuca.com/Produ.....=6277

This is the link for the products that I'm referring to from Melaleuca.

MGmom

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:27 am
The aveeno naturals works great and is very mild, I believe shaklee should have something natural too.

Sara255

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:54 am
Dr. Fischer's emol oil.

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:14 pm
my mother used t-gel for my sister with eczema, didn't keep her in water too long & smeared doak oil on her after the shower.

lst

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:31 pm
try getting calendula oil and putting half a capful in the bath water, and make baths as short as possible.
any soap or body wash that is natural, sls free, paraben free should be better for the skin.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:59 pm
lst wrote:
try getting calendula oil and putting half a capful in the bath water, and make baths as short as possible.
any soap or body wash that is natural, sls free, paraben free should be better for the skin.

Actually a 15 minute daily bath is great for eczema as long as it is followed by a very good moisturizer like aquaphor.

Shuly

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:05 pm
Cetaphil bar soap.

bnm

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 3:05 pm
Aveeno. my kid gets an instant rash from J&J stuff, even their natural line.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 3:09 pm
Johnson makes my ds break out. We use aveeno soothing relief creamy wash. It's fragrance free.

newmommy22

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:27 pm
Cetaphil Skin Restoring Body Wash

sky

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:14 pm
My son breaks out from the entire Aveeno line with oats.
I give him my moisturizing body soup like dove. I"m not sure that it helps.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:56 pm
I had the same problem with my son. Dermatologist recommended cetaphil skin restoring body wash I wasn't so thrilled with it. But the cream he prescribed called hylotopic plus worked wonders. Make sure you get a coupon from the dr for it though cuz the price went from $130 to $20!

aimhabayis

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 9:10 pm
my kids suffer too, I use cetaphil soap it comes in bars or liquid get the one that says non cong....(forgot the name) I also found that the detergents I use makes a difference I only use hypoallergenic soaps and creams. good luck

whirlwind

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 11:49 am
OP here, I've gotten lots of suggestions for soaps so thank you everyone, but I still need a good shampoo. I've been using Pantene because it's effective in keeping the knots and tangles out of their hair (when they were younger I just used the soap in their hair but once their hair gets longer they need a good shampoo to keep it clean and tangle-free). So can anyone recommend a hypoallergenic shampoo that will also work well in keeping their hair tangle-free?

bigprincess

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 12:11 pm
whirlwind wrote:
OP here, I've gotten lots of suggestions for soaps so thank you everyone, but I still need a good shampoo. I've been using Pantene because it's effective in keeping the knots and tangles out of their hair (when they were younger I just used the soap in their hair but once their hair gets longer they need a good shampoo to keep it clean and tangle-free). So can anyone recommend a hypoallergenic shampoo that will also work well in keeping their hair tangle-free?

I use mustela cradle cap shampoo but it is very expensive. My son is still young so I don't know if it will keep your kids hair tangle free. Soap I use cetaphil antibacterial bar soap it doesn't keep him completely clear of eczema but it is a lot better than it was.

ElTam

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 5:50 pm
Aquaphor and Aveeno products only for us. I slathe him up with lotion after every bath too, otherwise he feels like a baby alligator rather than a baby!

For really bad patches 100% argan oil (very expensive) has been a lifesaver.

anonymrs

Post Sat, Jun 23 2012, 2:46 pm
The Melalueca link that I posted above has kids shampoo that is hypoallergenic.

(No, I don't sell their products but I do think that they are good for allergic/eczema kids. I use their detergent for my daughter and it is great!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics