Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbat day chicken recipes- on the bone

hcohen

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 3:19 pm
Looking for chicken-on-the-bone recipes that don't include breading but are not too saucy and so can go on the plata. With ingredients found in Israel (eg no French's French fried onions). And no marinating overnight, since it's too late for that this week...Thanks in advance- I hope I can get some help by the time I wake up in the morning to start cooking!

hcohen

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 3:23 pm
OP here- I should add: nothing too sweet, no margarine and no mayo (high cholesterol)... It's a challenge but I'm sure someone out there is up for it! Smile

sbs

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 3:58 pm
put garlic and paprika on chicken, broil for 10 minutes

smother with sauteed onions that you add soy sauce and a drop of brown sugar to it
bake

(the brown sugar doesn't make it sweet)

SS6099

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:08 pm
Chicken on the plata for shabbos day would prob be dried out. I suggest putting lots of onions on the bottom of the pan/pot to keep it moist. Add chicken broth as well for extra liquid.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 6:58 pm
this isnt very elegant but my kids like it.
dh makes beer-can chicken on the grill, then we cut it up and warm on the blech for shabbos lunch.
he smothers the whole chicken in bbq sauce then stands it up on an open can of beer (pour off half or it boils all over) and places it on the grill (covered) for a while. I have no idea how long, I guess you have to keep checking it.

EMmom

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:32 pm
Oven Fried Chicken
4 chicken parts
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper, ground
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1. Preheat oven to 450
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a plastic bag.
3. Wash your chicken and shake off excess water.
4. Drop in bag and shake each piece. Place in a metal pan skin side down and put in preheated oven.
5. Turn pieces over after about 20 minutes.

Israeli Barbecue Chicken

8 pieces chicken (whichever parts you like)
2 tablespoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 cloves garlic (diced finely)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Mix all together; marinate for 1-2 hours, then barbecue (or can bake in oven).

grace413

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 9:55 pm
Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder. Mix lemon juice and soy sauce and spoon over chicken. Just use a small amount and by the time you finish cooking it on friday there's really no sauce left.

Also good at room temperature and refreshing on a hot day.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:15 pm
grace413 wrote:
Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder. Mix lemon juice and soy sauce and spoon over chicken. Just use a small amount and by the time you finish cooking it on friday there's really no sauce left.

Sounds good!

I usually just use garlic & paprika and roast the chicken. Not very creative, but everyone eats it.

hcohen

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 11:34 pm
I actually find bone-in chicken dries out much less than shnitzel/cutlets on the plata. But last night I discovered at 1am I was missing a crucial ingredient for the marinade I was planning on. I'll think I'll go with some version of the onion/garlic/paprika (which my mom actually makes all the time). Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

granolamom

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 8:59 am
grace413 wrote:

sounds very good. I think I"ll try this next week

mazelandbracha

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 9:27 am
grace413 wrote:

Is that equal parts lemon juice and soy sauce? I may try this today.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 10:25 am
Roast chicken--we double wrap in foil and heat it. You can actually serve it cold and sliced.

Tebeet--it fits all of OP's criteria. Technically slow-baked chicken buried in delicately spiced rice. I think I've posted recipe a while ago. Delish with long-baked eggs in shell, no need to make separate starchy side dish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus