Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Friday afternoon Pidyan HaBen?

laykee

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 9:40 am
My brother has his first child, a boy, Wed afternoon and he said this means the Pidyan HaBen need to be on Friday afternoon. My parents will be making the seuda, and are at a loss as to how you make a seudah Friday afternoon. Since the baby was born 5pm, he says it needs to be after 5pm!

Has anyone ever been to a Pidyan on Friday afternoon? What was served? Did people come?

Someone suggested the do the ceremony close to licht benching time and the seudah after davening? Anyone hear of that?

Any suggestion are welcome.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 10:10 am
I did mine in the morning, and my son was born in the evening. have him double check on time...

we just got bagels and stuff, made it in shul for a very small crowd after shacharis.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 10:17 am
I think the math is off.

The Pidyon Haben is done on the 31st day, which is Friday, and starts Thursday night. When the baby is born later in the afternoon, closer to shkiyah, then the pidyon can't be done on Thursday night, and has to be done Friday morning according to some shittos. (29.5 24 hour cycles, 29 would be Thursday 5 PM, another 1/2 would be Friday 5 AM if I am thinking this through correctly.)

I think your brother would do well clarifying this with his rav.

catonmylap

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 10:20 am
I have not heard that it needs to be later in the day if the baby was born later in the day. Check with a Rav about the timing thing.

My son's was on chol hamoed pesach (pushed off 2 days because of chag). They wanted to make it the morning, but I pushed for later in the day to have a more real seudah and since many people wouldn't be working anyway.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 10:22 am
Right, the only thing is it can't be the night before, it has to be daytime instead, I think...

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 10:24 am
I learned that you should do it as early as possible, iirc. like a bris. you don't want to push off a mitzva. and on friday, ppl usually are not available later in the day.

laykee

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 10:29 am
Thank you so much for the information. I will ask him to double check with his Rov.

nyer1

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 8:17 pm
Our Rav said our pidyon haben will be on Friday morning after shacharis..w wonder what ends up with yours...Mazal tov!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 9:46 pm
heheheheheheh

definitely pays to ask a shaylah !

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 10:04 pm
My bechor was born Wednesday evening, after shkiah, and his pidyon haben was 30 days later, on a Friday morning. I've never heard of this timing thing.

STovah

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 10:09 pm
I went to a pidyon haben on a Friday morning. It was fleishig, but there were fish platters and fruit for those who did not want fleishigs in the morning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions