Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Have you ever wished you were a man?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 12:38 am
Actually I once danced w/sefer Torah cause I was mad at this male controlled religion so I went to a different shul and IT WAS FUN in a spiritual sort of way.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 12:40 am
O'kay the answer is yes - but sometimes I think it's only so that I could show em how to treat a lady.

Oh and sometimes I need to be stronger like a man

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 6:24 am
only1 wrote:
amother wrote:
Many times, especially when we are sitting around and the women are shmoozing about kids, clothes, cooking ect I mean all this has to get done but to talk and talk about it? On the other hand the mens conversations are way more intellectually based and I generally join that end of the conversations.

I don't know, I listen to my husbands talk to my brothers for hours about sports and roll my eyes. Not so intellectually based.
[/quote]

I'm sorry but the poster who said she gets fed up of "womens talk" - that makes me feel sick. Talking about the care of children or cooking is a whole lot more worthwhile than what most men sit and talk about. Cars, sports, computers.... At least cooking etc has a worthwhile purpose. Some men talk about worthwhile things. Lots of men don't. Lots of women talk about worthwhile things. Some talk about clothes all day.

And being a women in no way stops you from having intelligent conversations!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 10:39 am
Case in point, the vast majority of threads that get attention are either about bc, husbands abuse by not being what we what them to be , recipes, and controversy and nitpicking. But true intellectual threads arent given nearly as much response from us women "who can have just as intelligent conversations as men"
Just an observation so noone get defensive.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
Case in point, the vast majority of threads that get attention are either about bc, husbands abuse by not being what we what them to be , recipes, and controversy and nitpicking. But true intellectual threads arent given nearly as much response from us women "who can have just as intelligent conversations as men"

I think the answer lies in the median age of posters here. The older you get, whether male or female, you get more serious and deep. Agreed?

chaimsmom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
But true intellectual threads arent given nearly as much response from us women "who can have just as intelligent conversations as men"

Interesting observation, but I wonder how much the lack of response has to do with the medium. I find it very difficult to have a truly engaging, intellectual conversation on a message board. For me, intellectual conversations entail a lot of give and take, a lot of listening, and a lot of time. I'm just not able to do that over the internet.

Mevater

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:01 pm
chaimsmom wrote:
Interesting observation, but I wonder how much the lack of response has to do with the medium. I find it very difficult to have a truly engaging, intellectual conversation on a message board. For me, intellectual conversations entail a lot of give and take, a lot of listening, and a lot of time. I'm just not able to do that over the internet.

Intellectual people dont become un-intellectual on the internet. If they're posting threads like what color is my shoelace, or responding to it, how intellectual can they be? I think it's the median age here.

suomynona

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I think the answer lies in the median age of posters here. The older you get, whether male or female, you get more serious and deep. Agreed?

I disagree. I was much more deep when I was younger and much more capable of having an intellectual conversation. When I was in sem, I looked down at all those newlyweds who discussed recipes.
Now that I'm in the real world and bogged down with cooking and other responsibilies, I'm more likely to have a conversation about that then something deep.
But there's a difference between recipes and what color is your shoelace/how often you change your underwear ? Those are dumb. At least the former has tachlis.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:26 pm
I would much rather spend more time with my kids and be home more then work hard to earn a living.....

chaimsmom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:29 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
Intellectual people dont become un-intellectual on the internet. If they're posting threads like what color is my shoelace, or responding to it, how intellectual can they be? I think it's the median age here.

I wasn't addressing the number of responses on inane threads, I was addressing the lack of response on intellectual threads. I don't think one can conclude that the lack of response is due to the lack of women who desire intellectual conversations. I find it hard to believe that I am the only woman who loves intellectual conversation but finds it difficult to have one on a message board.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:32 pm
These days women usually do both!

Most have to work and give birth to the kids and discipline and cook and clean and the list goes on. The only thing they don't have to do is go to Minyan.

This is 2006.

Mevater

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:37 pm
chaimsmom wrote:
letsbehonest wrote:

I wasn't addressing the number of responses on inane threads, I was addressing the lack of response on intellectual threads. I don't think one can conclude that the lack of response is due to the lack of women who desire intellectual conversations. I find it hard to believe that I am the only woman who loves intellectual conversation but finds it difficult to have one on a message board.

What about all the political blogs out there? They're often intellectual and deep.

chaimsmom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:44 pm
[/quote]
What about all the political blogs out there? They're often intellectual and deep.[/quote]
Why do you keep changing the issue? Blogs are not conversations.

Mevater

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:49 pm
chaimsmom wrote:

What about all the political blogs out there? They're often intellectual and deep.[/quote]
Why do you keep changing the issue? Blogs are not conversations.[/quote]I simply wanted to say that many people get intellectual, long winded and deep on blogs, which is similar to the medium here.

chaimsmom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 1:55 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
chaimsmom wrote:

I simply wanted to say that many people get intellectual, long winded and deep on blogs, which is similar to the medium here.

Message boards do not lend themselves to long winded posts the way blogs do.

Mevater

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:10 pm
chaimsmom wrote:
letsbehonest wrote:
chaimsmom wrote:

I simply wanted to say that many people get intellectual, long winded and deep on blogs, which is similar to the medium here.

Message boards do not lend themselves to long winded posts the way blogs do.

What do you call this thread- "What are Lamed-Vavniks ? Do we know of any?" It's amazingly deep.(TzenaRena's posts especially, are so inspiring!)

This is only one of many such threads.

jewgal84

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:26 pm
Put wishes aside of being a man...

My whole life I always wanted to go to a boy's camp, they always seem to have more energy, fun and excitement.

The thought of a boy, simply not caring every 2 secondss about his cloths, weight, shopping etc I can totally go for!

chaimsmom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:30 pm
[quote="letsbehonest"][quote="chaimsmom"]
letsbehonest wrote:
chaimsmom wrote:

What do you call this thread- "What are Lamed-Vavniks ? Do we know of any?" It's amazingly deep.(TzenaRena's posts especially, are so inspiring!)

This is only one of many such threads.

I was responding to amother's statement that the intellectual threads don't get as much response as the other threads and offering a possible explanation for this phenomenon. Not having done a statistical analysis of the number of responses on each thread, nor having the time to do so, I accepted her premise. If you dispute amother's statement, then you should address that to her.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:

Most have to work and give birth to the kids and discipline and cook and clean and the list goes on. The only thing they don't have to do is go to Minyan.

This is 2006.

Then they should expect that men also do both, except giving birth. If men refuse, they should refuse too.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:

This is 2006.

Then they should expect that men also do both, except giving birth. If men refuse, they should refuse too.

Ha! If women refuse, they lose their husbands in ten minutes.
What gets women between a rock and a hard place, is
1-the knowledge that the husbands can find a replacement 10 times as fast as the wives can.
2-women think of the kids' benefits of staying in a marriage, more than men do.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics