Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How long does it take for your child to fall asleep

chevron

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:27 pm
If you stay with him/her until dc falls asleep. Are you glad you didn't do cio or do you regret it sometimes? My son takes an hr on an average night sometimes longer. I'm happy I didn't do cio but looking for alternative ideas.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:29 pm
How old is he? I didn't do CIO, but I did sleep train at a certain point. Now I only sit with him when we're in an unfamiliar place or he's sick or otherwise asks for it.

chevron

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:42 pm
He's 2. How did you sleep train?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:45 pm
Two is still little. Where do you stay until he falls asleep?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:48 pm
I did it much younger. . . I nursed him, cuddled for a minute, then put him in the crib and sat next to him. If he cried I rubbed his back and gave him the paci. If he stood up, I gave him a hug. I didn't leave the room til he was sleeping at first. Eventually, he was comfortable with that. So I made up an excuse to leave the room for a minute and then came back. Once he was secure about that, I made up an excuse to leave the room, and didn't come back unless he called me. Then I went immediately. But he really got the hang of it.

acccdac

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:57 pm
I did sleep train.

I will tell you we had a big surprise when my ds was about 1 1/2.
we were at my parents' house for yom tov. I put him to bed regular time, put him in the crib, said good night and walked out. About an hour later (may have even been closer to 1 1/2 hours) I needed something from the room. I opened the door and walked in and peeked at him in the crib. He was laying there awake quietly. I got what I needed and left.

we were amazed that he was still up. I have that with my dd now also. They know that when they go in it's bedtime, there is no crying, and they fall asleep when they're ready.

chevron

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:17 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I did it much younger. . . I nursed him, cuddled for a minute, then put him in the crib and sat next to him. If he cried I rubbed his back and gave him the paci. If he stood up, I gave him a hug. I didn't leave the room til he was sleeping at first. Eventually, he was comfortable with that. So I made up an excuse to leave the room for a minute and then came back. Once he was secure about that, I made up an excuse to leave the room, and didn't come back unless he called me. Then I went immediately. But he really got the hang of it.

I tried this but gave up a little too early maybe I'll try again. How long did it take?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:43 pm
DS is 1 1/2. Some nights he is out the second he hits the dark. Others he talks to himself. As long as he is not screaming, I let him be. I did CIO when he was one because anytime I went in his room without taking him out, it made it way worse.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:43 pm
I really don't remember...probably a couple of weeks. A two yr old can also be motivated with rewards- that might speed things up.

Sherri

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:46 pm
acccdac wrote:
I did sleep train.

I will tell you we had a big surprise when my ds was about 1 1/2.
we were at my parents' house for yom tov. I put him to bed regular time, put him in the crib, said good night and walked out. About an hour later (may have even been closer to 1 1/2 hours) I needed something from the room. I opened the door and walked in and peeked at him in the crib. He was laying there awake quietly. I got what I needed and left.

we were amazed that he was still up. I have that with my dd now also. They know that when they go in it's bedtime, there is no crying, and they fall asleep when they're ready.
What was your method?

acccdac

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 1:53 am
I did CIO but that wasnt a nightly thing, it was a once in a while thing, and I would do the going in every 10 minutes to rub his back, and calm him down.

but my night routine was to read a book or sit on the couch together, then when it was time I would say shema holding him, I'd sing a song or two, and do my night thing I do with all my kids "good night stars, good night air, good night noises everywhere, good night mommy, good night abba, etc"

I put them in the crib give them their pacifier, blanky, and walk out.

with my daughter she sometimes calls out (she is younger than my ds) within 10 minutes of putting her in, a lot of times she just wants one more hug or kiss, and then thats it.

last night I did lay down in the bed in her room because we got rid of the pacifier. I did my regular night routine, put her down, and then I layed in the bed in the room and read my book without making eye contact. After about 15 minutes my son needed something so I told her I'd be back in 5 minutes and when I got back she was out like a light. Tonight I did the same thing, but only stayed for 5 minutes, and she went to bed.

I feel like she just needs to realize she can relax herself without the pacifier, just like she did with the pacifier.

the idea is to show them they are safe, but for them to relax on their own.

I hope I'm making sense

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 2:50 am
MaBelleVie wrote:

I just did this with my 18 month old daughter. It took her a week to catch on but she is going to sleep so nicely now, bh! I always nursed her to sleep but I'm trying to get her un-used (word?) to that. This method really works and it's gentle, pretty much, aside for the first 2 nights which were very hard for me because my yummy little baby was soo sad. I explained to her before bedtime what was going to happen but she was always nursed to sleep so she was protesting this new method. She's ok now. I am very glad that I didn't do CIO.

kalsee

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 4:58 am
My kids never fall asleep if I'm next to them, I have to leave the room.
As babies, my daughter always went in beautifully. My son was harder, I tried sleep training but leaving him to cry for only 1-2 minutes and then going back in to calm him down. As soon as he was calm I would leave for another 1-2 minutes. Now he goes in and goes to sleep right away.

I am very careful to put them in only when I know they are tired.

shosh22

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 3:19 pm
OP: I stay with him, he's ten months old now and sometimes he is down in 10 minutes and sometimes in 40.

I like this article and find it gives a bit of chizuk to those who avoid letting babies cry it out:

http://nurshable.com/2012/07/1.....ning/

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics