Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can you/do you buy hindquarter meat?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 11:34 am
Spinoff from another thread: Can you buy hindquarter meat in your butchers? Will you eat it if you can? Is it a sefardi or ashkenazi hechsher? where do you live?

(many kashrus authorities do not allow hindquarter meat since it is very difficult and time consuming to perform nikkur in the hindquarters)

For a precis of the subject see here. http://oukosher.org/index.php/.....im_i/

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 11:45 am
Yum!

In israel, eating it when I can... Never saw it anywhere else. Bought in a mainstream grocery store with my Frum like me Israeli friend.

Once a friend brought a new York roast home from israel and three families split it. Good thing customs didn't stop him even though he declared it!

Thing I miss most about eating unkosher was new York steak....well, and shellfish but no onions for that anywhere kosher!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 11:50 am
Can't buy it where I live -- big city OOT USA. I'd use it (I'm a BT and grew up eating some of those cuts) if it was available with a hechsher I'd use (there aren't too many of those).

ally

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:03 pm
It is widely available in Israel.
I don't think you would be able to get it with a mehadrin ashkenazi hechsher, but it is definitely available with a mehadrin sefardi hechsher.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:06 pm
We had it one time because once a shochet who knows how to do it came.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:33 pm
ally wrote:
I don't think you would be able to get it with a mehadrin ashkenazi hechsher, but it is definitely available with a mehadrin sefardi hechsher.

is it more expensive?

ally

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:39 pm
Raisin wrote:
ally wrote:

is it more expensive?

Than regular steak? I think so. Most of the fancy restaurants serve it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 3:25 pm
It was about 150 nis a kg last week, which is about $40 cad/us a pound

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 3:38 pm
you mean $20 a pound.

Thats slightly more than I would pay for a rib steak. (the most expensive cut - $18 a pound - maybe/probably cheaper in the usa)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 3:48 pm
I have no idea what I buy.

nylon

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:29 pm
I've never seen it for sale here, but I would buy it if they sold it with an acceptable hechsher (Sephardi is fine)

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 10:06 pm
I would buy Filet Mignon if I could find it anywhere. I heard that it is sold in Pomegranate in NY but it's a bit of a hike for a cut of meat.

Isher

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 10:52 pm
FrumMamaPA wrote:
I would buy Filet Mignon if I could find it anywhere. I heard that it is sold in Pomegranate in NY but it's a bit of a hike for a cut of meat.

I don't think the filet mignon is the true filet mignon. I think it's a cut that is very similar. Lots of kosher butcher stores will name cuts that aren't really that cut - to sub the non kosher version.

Soul on fire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 4:38 pm
Isher wrote:
FrumMamaPA wrote:

I don't think the filet mignon is the true filet mignon. I think it's a cut that is very similar. Lots of kosher butcher stores will name cuts that aren't really that cut - to sub the non kosher version.

oh that's disappointing....that was my favorite cut in my prekosher days. Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen