Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
My chicken is going bad, can I do this?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:40 pm
I bought a pack of chicken bottoms on sunday and I put it in the fridge and forgot about it. Now Tuesday night I took it and and figured I will prepare it to put up first thing tomorrow in the crockpot. But it is starting to smell. Not very strong yet. What should I do?
1) Toss
2) Put up tomorrow morning in the crockpot to eat tom night?
3) Put up now in the crockpot on low, and keep in on all night & day till dinner tom? - would this even be too long to cook for?
Thanks.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:48 pm
Toss.

ElTam

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:54 pm
Toss. Food poisoning can put you in the hospital or kill you, chas v'shalom.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 12:19 pm
For next time, the latest you can cook it is 2 days later.
So I would have freshened it up with lots of cold water rinsing, then using lots of fresh garlic to freshen up some more, and cook right away.
By today it's too late though.

elf123

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 12:35 pm
Please explain this. Lots of times when I buy chicken at my local kosher supermarket, it is dated several days (maybe up to 5?) later. So how can that be? I buy it from the refrigerator section, not the freezer, btw...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 5:28 pm
elf123 wrote:
Please explain this. Lots of times when I buy chicken at my local kosher supermarket, it is dated several days (maybe up to 5?) later. So how can that be? I buy it from the refrigerator section, not the freezer, btw...
I don't know. Maybe they want you to think it's still fresh when it's been sitting in the case for 5 days already? Exploding anger

My two day rule is 2 days in my own fridge. Provided of course that the chicken looked and smelled fresh when I bought it. Although I really do try to clean and freeze my chicken the day I bought it. But I will cook it up to 2 days later if it was sitting in the fridge.

precious

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 9:37 pm
you should be able to bring it back to the store for a refund.

I've used chicken that smelled a little and it was ok.

But this sunday I bought cutlets, took them out on tuesday and they smelled, I was so frustrated but needed them for supper, so started cooking them, and the smell got really strong!

I put in chicken nuggets from the freezer, and my husband brought it back to the store.

Berry

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 1:53 am
Toss it, especially if there is any kind of foul smell. I actually made the mistake of trying to cook some cutlets that seemed a little bit off and they just would not cook at all. It's better to be safe than sorry with such things.

Berry

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 2:09 am
elf123 wrote:

I was really curious about this as well, so I went ahead and did a little research. Interestingly enough, it's an often misunderstood labeling habit that confuses a lot of people.

Theoretically, you can keep the chicken for five days without freezing it, if you are 100% sure that the fridge temperatures are below 30F. Since refrigerators keep the temperature at 40F to keep vegetables from freezing however, the limit that meat should stay in there is actually reduced to two days.

I hope that helps!

motherinisrael

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 2:22 am
If the chicken is just starting to smell as you say, rinse throughout with cold water making sure to reach all the crevices. This should remove the smell as that is where the bacteria first start to form. Then cook well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen