Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
KALI ZOM - Does it work? Have you ever tried it?
1  2  Next

pumpkinsbubby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 7:34 pm
I have a difficult time fasting, and worry about Tisha B'Av which is fast approaching. Surely Moshiach will be here by then...but in any case, I was wondering if anyone has used "Kali Zom," a supplement which is supposed to help curb your appetite on fast days. Please let me know if it worked for you, or any comments you wish to share. TIA!

elisheva25

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 7:50 pm
It helped me both when I was pregnant and nursing
Never took the regular pills.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 7:57 pm
I'm worried about caffeine deprivation. Did anyone read the blurb about AeroShot in the Binah?
I'm SO SO nervous! I started cutting down a coffee a day to get ready but I cannot function without my coffee! My poor kids...

sky

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:28 pm
I take it. I don't know if it helps me. It could be a placebo affect.
Or it could be that without it I would have been fine.
So there is no way for me to really know if it helped. I'm guessing it didn't hurt anything.

rivk241

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:40 pm
I swear by it! I cant remember fasting without it! even if its all in my head if it works its worth it....I know for sure it helps retain fluids....

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:44 pm
I never tried it, but I used to fast terribly until I started drinking a lot of water the day before and that really helped. I heard it even helps to drink a lot a few days before.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:50 pm
I have used it and I haven't used it. I can't say I noticed a major difference between the two times but I think perhaps it might have given me slightly more energy? I can't say because I didn't use it when I was single but I did use it when I was pregnant and nursing so....large difference!

What does help me TONS is the slow release tylenol. I don't know where to get it from (my mil buys for me) but it really keeps those late taanis afternoon headaches away which makes you feel much better.

SomebodyElse

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:58 pm
I love it! Still need to drink a lot before the fast, but it gives me a serious energy boost and sense of well being. Not sure about the mommy formulas, but I'm pretty sure the regular one contains caffeine, which does interfere a bit with my sleep at night, but it's worth it.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 11:22 pm
Some people say it really helps them.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 11:35 pm
OP here. Thank you for all your responses. It appears that mostly everyone was happy with it, or at least had no adverse side effects from taking it. If you know of any reason to AVOID taking it, please let me know. Also, is this just one pill taken right before the fast begins, or is it a series of pills taken throughout the day before? More details, please. I'm so afraid that if it doesn't agree with me, I will fast worse than ever, chas v'shalom. Has this ever happened to anyone?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 2:28 am
I didn't notice a significant difference with taking it or with out taking it. It for sure didn't make it worse but I am not sure if it helped.
I have been told that I can swallow pills on a fast (without water or with less than a shiur on the minor fasts). I take 2 excedrin in the morning and that takes away a lot of my fasting headaches.
Also, normally you take 3 the day before the fast. I think its a shaylah of hachana if you are allowed to do that on shabbas for sunday. AYLOR.

EvenI

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 5:34 am
I fast very very badly when I don't take it and I find helps in a big way. My main issue is usually feeling a desperate to eat, weak, trembly feeling all day long, which these wonder tablets seem to at least delay until near the end of the fast. I've used the pregnant ones and the nursing ones. Make sure you follow the instructions. They are different with each type.

I bought the regular ones for my husband and he used them, but I can't tell you if it helped or not. He usually fasts well anyway and I don't think he noticed a difference.

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 5:45 am
There are two types (and a few brands), the regular and the nursing/pregnant one. The regular one is great for most people. However I have an anxiety issue and found the nursing/pregnant ones are much better for me. I believe the difference is that in the regular ones they put ginsing, which is a stimulant (great for coffee addicts).

The other thing that helps is to consider quitting caffeine about a week in advance before a fast. The withdrawal can cause a headache, making the fast even harder.

EvenI

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 5:51 am
chani8 wrote:
There are two types (and a few brands), the regular and the nursing/pregnant one. The regular one is great for most people. However I have an anxiety issue and found the nursing/pregnant ones are much better for me. I believe the difference is that in the regular ones they put ginsing, which is a stimulant (great for coffee addicts).

The other thing that helps is to consider quitting caffeine about a week in advance before a fast. The withdrawal can cause a headache, making the fast even harder.

Unless something has changed recently, there are actually 3 types: pregnant, nursing, and regular. The strange thing about them is that the packets are color coded pink, blue and green, but it doesn't say on each packet which is which. The pharmacist always tells me. I think pink is nursing, blue is pregnant and green is regular.

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:45 am
EvenI wrote:
chani8 wrote:

Unless something has changed recently, there are actually 3 types: pregnant, nursing, and regular. The strange thing about them is that the packets are color coded pink, blue and green, but it doesn't say on each packet which is which. The pharmacist always tells me. I think pink is nursing, blue is pregnant and green is regular.

Right, makes sense, because for nursing moms sometimes they add stuff to help with milk production, I think. I can never tell which is which either (I just make sure there is no ginsing)...and then I wonder why I feel like nursing a baby during the fast...Just kidding. Wink

sky

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:16 am
notshanarishona wrote:

I think its a shaylah of hachana if you are allowed to do that on shabbas for sunday
. AYLOR.

Good point! Not only that, can you even take medicine if you are feeling okay. I will ask.

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:30 am
It's like a vitamin. You can take a vitamin on shobbos. If you mask it in a toffee before shobbos, then it's fine according to all shittas. We just make sure the bottle has been opened ahead of time.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 10:07 am
pink is nursing
blue is pregnant
green is regular

of pink and blue you take 1 or 2 before the fasts starts.
With green you take 3 throughout the day.

Funny story, my father once went to buy some for my mum and took the blue ones (she was preg.) the cashier said to my dad you know these are for pregnant ladies my father (who has quite a bit of a belly) held his stomach and said "you mean to say this is just fat?!"
The lady was shock mouth on the floor!

LOL

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 7:17 am
Did anyone have a WORSE or MORE DIFFICULT fast than ever after taking it?

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 7:23 am
The nursing one is amazing! Really gets things flowing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note