Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help with apraxia diagnoses for child with speech delay

leahnj

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 10:55 am
My 3 1/2 yr old son has a severe speech delay. Where I live (lakewood) I need him to receive a diagnosis of apraxia from a developmental pediatrician or pediatric neurologist in order for him to be approved for services from the board of ed. Does this just mean a doctor's visit or more extensive testing or MRI to get this label? Does anyone know the name of a doc who likes to give this label? I would travel to NY or Philly or within NJ.
Thank you!

slpslp

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 10:16 pm
Most pediatric neurologists can diagnose. I would go wth a speech-language evaluation (which hopefully will support that diagnosis). He does not need an MRI to receive that diagnosis.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 10:44 pm
No real testing is necessary. A neurologist visit or even a very experienced speech therapist would be able to diagnose. Good luck!

In terms of treatment, I have heard that the Kaufman-Praxis kit is very successful.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 10:46 pm
Developmental pediatricians and speech language pathologists can give that diagnosis.

slpslp

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 10:49 pm
As a licensed speech pathologist, I often diagnose apraxia, but different school districts require/ accept diagnosis from different professionals. It sounds like you've already been told you need a diagnosis from an MD. With that being said, if you have a supporting document from an SLP, you'll me more likely to be succesful in getting that diagnosis. Good luck!!

amother

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 11:02 pm
I am an SLP living in Lakewood. First, if its okay with your insurance, maybe you can more easily get the diagnosis from your regular pediatrician so you wont need to shlep far? Like Dr. Golub in Shanik's office or the Indian female Dr ., I think Dr. Canton would be helpful. If you need a neurologist, Dr. Dorothy Pietrucca is a lousy one but will write whatever you need! The school districts here use her and everyone is autistic according to her! Second, there is an SLP in CHOP whose name is Cynthia Solot. She seems competant and works with a team of doctors, as well. Many people go there to do a full battery of evaluations in all areas like psychological....

Another thing is to beware that many many SLP's are clueless in treating Apraxia. Please find someone great and ask for parent references. Since parents may not be open to that, ask the SLp if you can leave your number and parents can call you. This way they can block their number and maintain confidentiality.

There is someone great at treating apraxia. he is an SLP and his name is David Hammer. Google him. He can treat via skype or the child, parents and treating SLP can go down to him for an evaluation and he can supervise the treatment plan.

Please dont rely on the public school's therapists. The one hour a week ( and thats if they are generous!) wont help and they are not motivated to see success like a private therapist is.

You are lucky to be starting to address this when he is young and beezras Hashem he will be fine!

slpslp

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 11:10 pm
I agree with the above mother. I also recommend that when he is approved for therapy try to find a PROMPT therapist. This is one of the most effective ways of treating apraxia. It is possible that you might need to go privately, but unfortunately as the previous poster stated not all SLP's have expereince working with apraxia.

Classicookie

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 12:03 pm
I just had to do this for my 3 year old we went to a pediatric nuralisgist and she diagnosed her I also had a letter from her EI therapist and talked to my pedi about it but the best place to get a diagnoses from is a nuralisgist and with that I was able to get her approved for therapy prompt works very well for kids with aprixia as well as a ton of repation good luck

MommytoB

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 7:26 pm
Prompt was amazing for my dd. she used to 'prompt' herself after awhile!

momfrombrooklyn

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 12:02 am
Does anyone know of a prompt trained speech therapist in lakewood?

slpslp

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 8:02 am
I personally do not know of one but maybe the SLP in Lakewood does. If not, you can go on the PROMPT website/ call and they can help. I'd recommend you try to get a level 2 person, if not someone certified. Bet of luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics