Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Tisha Bav Reading

ceo

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 12:04 pm
Any suggestions for Tisha Bav reading, for me or my kids?

Please only make specific suggestions:

climbing613

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:22 am
The harp by Meir uri gottesman

with a smile :)

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 2:18 am
Responsa from the Holocaust, by Rabbi Ephraim Oshry
This is very powerful reading. The shailos that people had to ask literally make me cry.

Any Jewish History book, such as Sand and Stars by Yaffa Ganz, or Triumph of Survival, Herald of Destiny, and Echoes of Glory by Rabbi Berel Wein.

with a smile :)

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 2:20 am
climbing613 wrote:
The harp by Meir uri gottesman

This is definitely good pre-Tisha B'Av reading, but I'm not sure you're allowed to read a novel on Tisha B'Av...

m in Israel

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 7:31 am
For middle elementary school age children, When we left Yerushalyim by Genendel Krohn (Feldheim).

For adults, The Book of our Heritage on Av.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 7:55 am
Forever My Jerusalem by Puah Shteiner -- Middle School age and up. Nonfiction. 1st hand account by a child resident of the Old City in the war of 1948.

The Harp by Meir Uri Gottesman -- for adults. Until July 30 The Harp is available as a FREE ebook at jewish-e-books.com:The Harp: free e-book

sky

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 9:32 am
The Forgotten Memoirs. Its the stories of rebbes who went through the war. The stories are taken from introductions to sefarim they wrote after the war.

A few years ago I borrowed from someone a book on the churban. I think it was Josephus: The Jewish War . But I'm not 100% sure.

thinking mom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:46 am
There are two new books on the market that both make for uplifting Tisha Bav reading. Yael Mermelstein put out "I Promise You," a memoir of her grandmother's Holocaust experiences. It's written in verse, in the voice of a teen, and it's very powerful. You get swept into the story and almost experience it.
Leah Gebber published "Chains" first serialized in Family First. It's an incredible fiction story about two woman experiencing the Churban. What makes it fascinating is that if focuses mainly on Rome and what happened to the Jews after they were brought into galus. I was totally hooked on the serial - and frustrated each week when I had to wait for the next installment. It's amazing to be able to read it in on go.
Both of these would be perfect for Tisha Bav, or any time you can handle something intense but inspiring.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room