Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
How do WAHM's do it?

IloveHashem613

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:19 am
Just curious, how do you other stay at home Moms juggle getting work done with a baby? I also have a toddler, but she's in camp all day so that's not really a problem. I love the fact that working from home means I can work but don't have to drop my kid off at a babysitter but some days it gets challenging when I'm trying to make a business call and my baby starts waking up from his nap and the person can hear him fussing at the other end...doesn't make for the most professional sounding call, know what I mean? Just looking to hear from other WAHM's about how they balance everything.

Davida

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:23 am
Can you have a babysitter at home for a couple hours a day and make your business calls at that time?

IloveHashem613

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:26 am
Davida wrote:
Can you have a babysitter at home for a couple hours a day and make your business calls at that time?

Of course I could, I was just trying to figure out ways to balance everything out without spending money on babysitting and extra help.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:28 am
when my twins were babies, I did everything phone related at the BEGINNING of naptime. When I knew my kids were diapered, fed, and drowsy, THAT's when I would get on the phone. When they were starting to wake up, I could still do emails or paperwork but if they were getting loud I wouldn't be on the phone. I could sometimes make calls while they were awake if it looked like they intended to be calm and quiet for a few minutes (swing time for instance--- love those baby swings!).

Now that my twins are 5, I pretty much only work when they're out of the house or asleep at night. If I have to make a phone call while they're home I beg my husband to be "on" them so I don't have a loud child at my office door saying "mommmmmmy when will you be off the phoooooone!"

They're at daycamp now so I just got off a work related call and now after a quick imamother break Smile will get back on the phone for another call. Later today when they're home it will be all about them, no more working.

I work by phone APPOINTMENT. I never tell someone to just call me whenever. When we're planning to speak about something work related, I say "I have a 2:00 or an 8:30 pm open--- which works for you?" So this morning I have an 11:00 and 12:00 phone appointment. It's now 11:25, hence the imamother break--- I'm between calls. Smile

And in my life, the kiddos come first--- so when a kid has to be home because of a doctor's appointment I either don't work that day or have my hubby be in charge of the kiddo for a while if I need to get something done. Yesterday for instance my daughter had a psych appointment so we kept her home from camp all day (camp is a FARRRRRRRRRRRR drive). My hubby is off and home all summer (he's in education) so to make a call yesterday I would ask him to entertain her for a bit).

Hope that helps! What do you do?

sky

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:43 am
I don't think there can be a science to it. My 8 month is home with me now while I work. I don't think it will be possible for too much longer and I plan on sending her out when she is 10 months old.

I try to schedule all phone calls and meetings around the time when she is napping.
If its not possible I try to keep her quiet by either nursing her or giving her a paci while I'm on the phone. I also try to keep the phone on mute as much as possible if I don't have to talk.
If its crazy, like the baby is crying or other children are home and making lots of noise I don't answer the phone. If its just noisy, but everyone is happy I may try to go into a different room, close the door and talk. But it almost never works out so I'm not sure why I try.

21young

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:53 am
My toddler goes to a babysitter and I work while he's gone. There's no way I would be able to work with him home. I do, however, work my schedule around his Dr. appointments, etc. - that's the perk of being a WAHM

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:31 pm
I make about one phone call every 3 months for business - on purpose. My business voice mail says that for fastest results you should email me. Every time someone wants to speak to me on the phone, I steer them towards email.

It's easier for me to deal with emails because I can respond while the kids are practicing piano or chasing each other around nearby, and also because then I have a record of where we're up to in various projects - it's easy for me to hang up the phone and forget exactly what conclusion we came to during the conversation!

L K

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:10 am
Working schedule around Dr appts - I have run into a problem of cutting work hours too much, aside from the fact that there aren't so many hours to begin with (M-Th around 5 hrs until kids start coming home. Fridays are too short to contribute much in terms of meaningful work.)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:20 am
Totally depends on the kid. Also, work when they nap! That helps a lot. I sent one kid out much earlier than the other one because she was too kvetchy. It's hard to manage but if you have the ability to stop and start your clock, that helps. Though does not do well for concentration.

shooting star

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 11:03 am
There was a period of time I was working at home with my toddler around and I didn't have any help. I'm also pregnant and I found it too stressful to do that for long.

With that said, I would usually do work calls during his nap. If it was an internal call then I would give him bribery food like a cookie to keep quiet. Not ideal but I got by for a few months. Don't recommend though.

I did, however, find it possible to work when I would get help 2-3 days a week. That way I could try to keep my work calls or important items to those days. The rest of the days would be work during naps or TV time. But that meant I had lots of work to do in the evenings to catch up. I'm on full time hours.

With a newborn I could work without too many issues. My son nursed almost constantly when he wasn't sleeping. Just became very good at typing with one hand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers