Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Movie suggestions for my preteen/teen DS's?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 1:56 pm
My boys are 10, 11, and 13. They've seen just a few movies. Last year they watched Lassie and Secretariat. They have a few unstructured days coming up.

What would you suggest? They have to be totally clean- no scantily clad women. Preferably something available at Redbox, because I don't know where else to rent movies in Baltimore. (I'm not on Netflix. Maybe I would sign up for a month if you suggest old movies that redbox doesn't have.)

TIA!

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 2:20 pm
Would they find Pixar movies babyish? Wall-E, Finding Nemo, etc. are well-written and great. (The Incredibles is probably the most action-packed and "boy"ish, but since it has human characters, you've got clothes and human relationships to worry about, even if they're relatively tame by secular standards (skin-tight body suits, monogamous flirting/kisses, etc.) Same with Ratatouille or Monster, Inc. -- human (or humanoid) characters can be more problematic).

Newsies if you skip the utterly-useless-anyway scenes with Medda Larssen in them.

Treasure Planet (a lesser-known Disney movie) is a sci-fi version of Treasure Island. No songs and a nearly all-male cast. Classic adventure story, and beautiful animation.

Della

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 2:35 pm
We rent old I Love Lucy's from the library. They are clean (1950's) and funny.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 9:47 pm
Disneys are really funny especially as they get older and understand more of the jokes.
Ice age, shrek, antz, nemo, brave et al are hilariously funny.
CHicken run, robots (hilarious especially for adults), the incredibles, black beauty, ratatouille, the secret garden.
A little princess is nice too but a bit more girly.

I am just listing all the ones we watched as kids/young adults.

The first couple harry potters are ok but after that they get pretty gruesome and scary.
If they like gruesome then Lord of the rings is gruesome but not inappropriate.

Home alones are great too. The spy next door is cute. ALvin and the chipmunks too (although it has non jewish music scenes). Daddy day care, matilda, annie (Also more girly)

THere is also the blind side (although I think its a pg or pg13 and you might want to watch it first. as far as I remember it was a mature movie but not with any major "bad"scenes).

There are a few more we watched as kids but I cannot remember.

Btw I tried to suggest ones which are mostly clean, but you might want to check them out first if you are really particular and maybe skip some scenes (which is what my parents would do with each movie we watched).

spring13

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:07 pm
I have to think more about what movies are good, but the Pikesville Library has a pretty good selection of movies and TV show DVDs. Check the kids' section for some nonfiction stuff (science shows like Bill Nye for example).

dimples

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:11 pm
did they see the home alone series yet? really funny!
we also watched honey I shrunk the kids/blew up the kid/shrunk ourselves when I was younger.
richie rich
blank check

I dont remember anything bad in those movies, maybe a kiss between spouses??

and I agree with the pixar movies, they are hilarious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics