Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bald spot on head-help!

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 12:08 am
Dd who is five kah has very thin hair. She also has very loose roots. If you give a tiny pull then a few hairs come out.Yesterday I discovered a bald spot. What can I do? Are cortizone shots going to help? Are the dangerous?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 12:29 am
I used to have very thin hair that fell out a lot...

I heard it can be diet related - I would take her to a nutritionist, or at least check her diet yourself - make sure she's getting plenty of protein specifically. Also have her tested for vitamin deficiency - hair and nails are often the first place you can see a problem.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:16 am
I started giving her a protien shake in the morning. She does complain of stomach aches after and she hates it. What test should I have her take? A regular overall bloodtest?

mvp

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:39 am
Why would you give a five year old child protein shakes? Aren't they for people sho are trying to loose weight, or have some other issue preventing them from eating enough real food?
Your child needs real food - not some processed chemical mumbo jumbo. No wonder she complains of belly aches.

Cortisone is an inflammatory, pain reliever, ummuno-suppressor drug. It has many possible side effects - why would you consider injecting your child with it?

She needs vitamins - fresh fruits and vegetables. Instead of posting on imamother, maybe you should do your homework and do some google searches:

Cortizone, protein shakes, hair loss in children, foods to fortify hair, etc

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:44 am
I am posting on ima because I want to hear from real people real ideas! I heard from a few people that protien shakes helped and that is why I am trying it. I give just one teaspoon as opposed to three which is recommended for an adult. I want to know about the shots because as she gets older her bald spot will bother her and someone told me it helped her seven year old. Fruits and vegetable won't help her weak roots. She eats enough every day.

mvp

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 1:52 pm
It's great to ask about personal experiences, but getting some basic facts before hand will help you a lot. It only took a few seconds for me to get this info:

About Cortizone - it is used to treat hair loss due to Alopecia areata - which is an autoimmune condition in which the body sees it's own hair as an intruder and attacks it, causing hair loss. Of course, I would seek alternative therapies because of cortizones harmful effects on other parts of the body.

There are many things that constitute hair, and protein us one of them. Deficiency in any of them can cause hair damage/loss. Best way to get protein is of course from real food. Certain protein shakes are healthier than others. There are protein shakes that actually bring on hair loss.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 2:18 pm
Hmmmm, here's an idea. What about going to the doctor?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 3:33 pm
Mimi, I have gone to my pediatrition. She wasnt helpful at all. She referred me to a dermatologist that told me that its genetic probably without fully checking her out and theres nothing to be done. That is why I am trying to find good advice and do whatever I can. I got the shaklee brand which many kids eat as part of a healthy breakfast.

mvp

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 6:29 pm
Did you go to the pediatrician after the bold spot?
The thin hair is definitely her constitution - but getting bold spots is something else, that shouldn't be happening even if you naturally have thin hair.
I'd wait and see if bold spot gets bigger, or if any more appear. Then you need to find out what's causing it.

farmom

Post Sat, Jul 21 2012, 8:35 pm
This blog has an interesting post (and ideas) about hair loss:

http://oceansofjoy.wordpress.c.....tion/

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 9:46 pm
Thank you for your help and advice. I went for bloodwork yesterday so we should find out results tomorrow. I just came across an article in the new Good Housekeeping all about hair loss that was very helpful. It said why it can happen and what can be done about it.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 9:46 pm
Thank you for your help and advice. I went for bloodwork yesterday so we should find out results tomorrow. I just came across an article in the new Good Housekeeping all about hair loss that was very helpful. It said why it can happen and what can be done about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics