Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How can I help my son with Anxiety??

Aribenj

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 12:52 pm
5YO DS most certainly has it. He's been evaluated for other things but he's too young to be evaluated for that. However, all his therapists agree that his intensely aggressive behavior most likely stems from an Anxiety disorder. They've all told me to just keep doing the therapy we're already doing to treat the symptoms since it's the same treatment he would receive if he was diagnosed with Anxiety and can't be medicated so young anyways.

But I feel like the therapy isn't enough. I have seen a difference since we started. But we are still SOOOOOO far off from what's acceptable. He can't function in society like this. He has become the bully and pariah in his class and has no friends and his teachers dread him. He keeps getting yelled at for behaviors I don't think he can really control. It's so not fair. And I can't just wait a few years till he's old enough for medication. If there's help out there for him to make his life easier, WHY WOULDN'T I GET IT FOR HIM??????????

I just feel so helpless right now...

sarachana

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 1:18 pm
Aribenj wrote:
5YO DS most certainly has it. He's been evaluated for other things but he's too young to be evaluated for that. However, all his therapists agree that his intensely aggressive behavior most likely stems from an Anxiety disorder. They've all told me to just keep doing the therapy we're already doing to treat the symptoms since it's the same treatment he would receive if he was diagnosed with Anxiety and can't be medicated so young anyways.

But I feel like the therapy isn't enough. I have seen a difference since we started. But we are still SOOOOOO far off from what's acceptable. He can't function in society like this. He has become the bully and pariah in his class and has no friends and his teachers dread him. He keeps getting yelled at for behaviors I don't think he can really control. It's so not fair. And I can't just wait a few years till he's old enough for medication. If there's help out there for him to make his life easier, WHY WOULDN'T I GET IT FOR HIM??????????

I just feel so helpless right now...

with your permission I would like to help...but I need to know that it is ok for me to pm you.

Aribenj

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 1:33 pm
PM away!

Aribenj

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:46 pm
Anyone else have any more suggestions? No one out there is dealing with this??

Sherri

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:51 pm
Wish I could help, it sounds like a really difficult situation to be in. Hatzlacha!

granolamom

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 12:01 am
if he is acting out due to anxiety, he needs to feel safe and secure. could be the school situation is not right for him. also could be that he needs alot more from you than you'd expect. ime with an anxious kid (pretty severe and ongoing but we are treating it ok without meds right now) when we backpedal and give more emotional support and handholding than we think is necessary, she is more able to function well outside the home.
so we dont do the 'sink or swim' thing anymore or behavioral charts to bribe her to do things independently when she asks for help/support but we 'give in'. or thats what it looks like from the outside. really what we are doing is taking away as much anxiety as we can so she can deal with the stuff we have no control over. not sure if that makes any sense. pm me if you want to talk about it more.
anxiety disorders are not easy to deal with thats for sure

Mommy Abrammy

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 2:00 pm
Ugh - so annoyed - just typed up a whole post - and then managed to lose it. Grrr.
Anyway - the bottom line of what I was saying - - - - you are so not the only person dealing with this. I have a 6 y.o. son going through major anxiety issues as well. It is somewhat new (at least the severity of it) at this point and my head is spinning.
Big, non-anxious hugs to you,
Shayna Rochel
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)