Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Zatila - YUMMY!
1  2  3  4  Next

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 10:34 am
My MIL just made these Kurdish "pastries" for us for supper last week. They are delicious! They are similar to calzones but so much better, imo, b/c of the method used to cook them. You bake them on the stovetop until they are golden on both sides (no oil) and have brownish spots on them. They are really meant to be madeo n the grill, so you can imagine the taste...it is very good!

DOUGH: (makes about 15-20 Zatilas - each one is VERY filling)
7 c. flour
3 c. water
3 Tbsp. instant yeast
1 Tbsp. salt

Mix everything together and knead until a smooth dough. You can add up to 1 c. flour as needed.

Let the dough rise covered for an hour. On a floured surface, take a fist sized ball and roll it out pretty thin, but not paper thin. Fill with desired filling and fold over like a half moon. Pinch down on the sides to seal.

Bake on a hot non-greased skillet until golden with brownish spots on one side. Flip over until until side looks the same. Serve warm.

Filling ideas:
Bulgarian and Feta cheese mix, olive oil, za'atar
ketchup and cheese
pesto, sauteed mushrooms and onions
cream cheese, tomatoes, onions
butter, sugar, cinnamon
feta cheese and yellow cheese mix, roasted pepper, zucchini, onions

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 11:40 am
I'm bumping this up because I just made them again tonight and they are AMAZING!! I urge you people to try these - you will not be disappointed! Smile

riki28

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 4:06 pm
I have to agree. Super easy & delicious! I filled some w/ marinara sauce & pizza cheese, and some w/ cream cheese & pizza cheese. Can't wait to try them w/ butter,sugar & cin!

be good

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 5:30 pm
thanks for posting and bumping- this looks so good!

anonymom

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 6:55 pm
Hard to imagine cooking a yeast dough on the stove. You dont' let it rise after filling them? It sounds good but it would be an experiment.

earthmama

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 2:16 am
These are good!I made the dough with mostly WW flour.I think I should;ve rolled the dough thinner but it worked.Let's see what the kids say...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 6:22 am
What do you serve with these?
What bracha are they?
Do they freeze well?
Can you eat them room temperature? (Wondering if I should make a batch to send in for lunches...)

smoms

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 9:19 am
what is instant yeast?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:00 am
Dried.

curlgirl

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:11 am
My Kurdish coworkers call these "kada". :-)

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:22 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
What do you serve with these?
What bracha are they?
Do they freeze well?
Can you eat them room temperature? (Wondering if I should make a batch to send in for lunches...)

They are hamotzi.

I never have frozen them, but would love to know how they come out! I have nuked them in the microwave, but while they are ok, they are not as crispy - they get a little too steamed in there.

You can eat them room temp but again, MUCh better fresh!

To the poster who asked about not letting them rise again after filling - this is what makes Zatila so unique and yummy. The heat from the pan (or grill) gives the dough a quick rise, resulting with a thin crispy outside and slightly chewy but good dough texture on the inside.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:25 am
curlgirl wrote:
My Kurdish coworkers call these "kada". :-)

Makes sense...my MIL told me that they are called "Zatila" or "kade" - same shoresh Smile

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:26 am
anonymom wrote:
Hard to imagine cooking a yeast dough on the stove. You dont' let it rise after filling them? It sounds good but it would be an experiment.

By the way, I posted a different recipe here a few years back - Pizza in a Frying Pan (you can do a search if you are interested) and it also calls for a yeast dough rising on the stove from the heat. It works beautifully!

tizunabi

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 10:39 pm
have you ever made these just as open faced bread to use with spreads? Does that work well.?

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 11:04 pm
I hvae never tried it, but I don't see why not? Let us know!

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 7:51 pm
I have been making these since Rosh Hashanna. My kids prefer them with sauce and cheese and call them "Pizza Pockets". I do tuna, tomato and cheese for a tunna melt pocket. They are great to take to work for lunch the next day. I reheat them in a toaster oven.

So thank you!

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 9:20 pm
I'm so happy to hear! I'll let my MIL know Smile

sarahd

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:22 pm
shanie, thanks for bumping this up, and Shopmiami, thanks a ton for posting this recipe! I made it tonight and it was a huge hit. I made 4-5 different fillings and everyone chose the one they wanted, which made for a few happy campers.

Looking forward to making it again. Thank your MIL from me. Smile

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 9:40 am
can u explain how you bake it in a skillet on the stovetop? what size flame? non stick pan, or stainless? how long does each side take to bake thru?
thanks!

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 10:07 am
Sarahd- can you post your fillings? I'm trying to see what my kids would like.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals