Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO girls sleepaway camp recommendations
1  2  Next

TzipporahN

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 1:31 pm
We're looking at sleepaway camps for girls for next summer. We definitely don't want MO/Zionist ones. What is out there and what different hashkofos/types are there. We were thinking of seeing if we could go visit some this year. What do people recommend?

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 2:29 pm
I think you're going to have to give a general location, unless you're going to say you're willing to send her to a camp in any part of the country....

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 2:37 pm
How old is your daughter?

What type of camp experience would she like? More posh like Raninu, roughin' it like Sternberg, or an artsy place like Kol Neshama (in LA)?

Does she have any friends that she would want to go with?

Didi

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 2:55 pm
Dina or shoshanim (shoshanim is a NJ Y camp)

abby1776

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 3:00 pm
Where do her friends go. I know you probably want her to meet new girls and make new friends, but its helpful to know one or two other girls before you go.

I went to camp and knew no one, everyone else knew each other and were friends for years, it was awful.

TzipporahN

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 7:57 pm
Sorry - I should have given more info...

We're probably looking in the NY/NJ/CT/PA area - although somewhere like Toronto might be a possibility. We're definitely not looking for a 'posh' type of place, and she's not a very artsy type of girl - she's about to go into 8th grade this year. She really doesn't have many friends going to camp - or one that we'd send her to. Look at us more of an OOT family. I really don't know anything about camps - I'm BT and didn't grow up in the US. My dh went to Kol Rina - which doesn't exist anymore, but maybe people remember it? We've met several people recently who went there also. He really enjoyed it and we're probably looking for something similar for girls.

Didi - what is a NJ Y camp? Can you tell me more about Dina and shoshanim?

bigsis144 - when you say Sternberg is roughin' it - what do you mean - how much?

Thanks so much for your feedback so far!

TzipporahN

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 8:02 pm
OK, dd just told me she's heard about Sternberg that it's very outdoorsey and next year her age will be sleeping in tents for a month and she doesn't think that's her - not that she's ever experienced it. That was the sort of camp that I went to when I was her age - just not frum.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 8:03 pm
My daughter just came back from Sternberg. It is very rustic (no A/C, plumbing a little gross) but the girls love it for some reason. Personally, my daughter was a little taken aback by the topics of discussion amongst the girls...too much boys and music she doesn't listen to! Overall she had a good time, though.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 11:02 pm
you might look at Ma'arava in Indiana. It's got an OOT feel, bunks are air conditioned and it's a nice mix of NY, NJ, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago girls. I know a lot of girls who have had fantastic times and go year after year.

TzipporahN

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 11:46 am
So, I showed my dh my postings yesterday and he said that I'd narrowed the requirements down too much. He thinks artsey is fine as is 'posh' (although, what does that mean, exactly?) We'd really just like a list of places we could visit in the next couple of weeks as well as your feedback on them. The non Zionist/MO attribute, still remains. This way we can go check them out for ourselves, while also hearing recommendations/warnings. The feedback from Sternberg has warned us off for 2 reasons - the boys talk and the roughing it is not quite the way to go - although some back to basics is fine.

Thanks!

Della

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 12:06 pm
I'll second Ma'arava in Marshall, Indiana. DD went there for three years from NY. It's a real OOT camp, fun, sporty, good activities, good girls.

We've also sent to Sternberg, whiuch both DDs liked, tents and all, but I did not like the atmosphere/talk/tsnius.

We also sent to Camp Bais Yaakov, which they also both liked, but it's not too sporty/fun.

syrima

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 12:20 pm
It's hard bc lots of the camps that are more BY type don't have websites. Dina and Sternberg do.
You can learn something by visiting the campus but not what type of girls go there.
IMHO- talk to the guidance counselor at a HS you would consider sending her to and ask where the good OOT type girls go.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 12:26 pm
Camp Chaviva, Camp Bnos. Are you interested in more "Yeshivish" camps?

I heard Sternberg has a "frummer" crowd second half - not sure if it's true, but it's something you can consider.

Aetrsnrady

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 12:12 am
I second Chaviva and Bnos. One DD has gone to Bnos for a few years. She didnt want Sternberg for the reasons mentioned above. I have also heard 2nd half is more frum. Bnos is mostly Brooklyn, Lakewood, and Monsey, but it does have OOT girls as well. I think you'll appreciate the solid hashkafos.
My other DD is considering Chaviva, similar in hashkafa, but a bit smaller and warmer. The directors are great people.
If you want more OOT, you may want to consider Agudah Toronto and or Agudah Midwest

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 12:18 am
Jewish Girls Retreat in Troy, NY - fabulous in every way. Not rustic, they live in dorms. Lots of trips, creative clubs, ruchnius, very caring people.

http://www.jewishgirlscamp.com/

Kugglegirl

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:36 am
I think you can tell a lot from looking at the websites. Second session visiting day is also coming up. You could go visit at least one camp on visiting day & get a good idea of the camp.

Lots of the camps will do a 2-week trial, & then you can extend if it works out.

Regarding the interest in boys, I would have to think that it varies from year to year, depending on the age & group. I could be wrong. Ask the camp directors if there is any difference in the kids/crowd that comes first session/second session. My kids seem to think there is some difference, but IDK.

TzipporahN

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 4:53 pm
We're probably looking for more on the Yeshivish side.

What would you say were the differences in hashkofoh between Agudah camps (apart from being more OOT) and Bnos/Bais Yaakov/Chaviva - what are their hashkofos - and are they all similar in that regard? We really liked the sound of Ma'arava, but are not sure about the hashkofoh. We're not looking for chassidish, nor a straight B&W (I know we might have to make a compromise on this - no way to get everything!), but solidly frum (we're strong Yekkies), and absolutely no compromise on the Modern/Zionist side of things. Since our daughter will not be going to camp knowing girls beforehand, its really important that the girls aren't cliquey and are welcoming.

We don't like the sound of the boys issue with Sternberg, nor the dress code at Girls' Retreat.

Can you tell me more about:

Dina
Shoshanim

We are trying to go to visit a camp or few this summer - so we need to figure some ideas out quickly.

Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 5:04 pm
Look into camp bais yaakov. They're yeshivish and do tend to have more ny/nj girls, but also do have a lot of out of towners, and from having gone there from out of town and not knowing anyone, I can tell you that they're very warm and welcoming. They're a bit less 'shticky' than other camps though they have updated that in recent years. I have wonderful memories from several years spent there and have sent many others there as well who have been very happy. The staff is wonderful and really takes care of you and the campers are very friendly. The grounds aren't fancy, but definitely decent. Lots of activities on camp grounds and great trips.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 5:07 pm
I don't know about current times, but as of a few years ago, Camp Dina was considered a bit more modern. Obviously it's all relative, but just something to look into further if you're not identifying that way.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 6:02 pm
TzipporahN wrote:
We really liked the sound of Ma'arava, but are not sure about the hashkofoh. We're not looking for chassidish, nor a straight B&W (I know we might have to make a compromise on this - no way to get everything!), but solidly frum (we're strong Yekkies), and absolutely no compromise on the Modern/Zionist side of things.

Note that Ma'arava is very, very right wing Yeshivish.

You might want to look into Agudah Midwest (under the same auspices as Ma'arava but not heavily yeshivish). They are officially a "BY" type hashkofa camp, but they have girls from an assortment of backgrounds (certainly all more to the right, but plenty that don't go to BY schools) or Agudah Toronto.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children