Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift cards v. cash

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:28 pm
I got a gift card for a store that I particularly enjoy shopping in, and it's like being given a shopping spree!

As compared to DH whose Macy's card wears on him like ill fitting shoes . . .

mumoo

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 2:18 am
I think giving a gift tells the recipient that you made an effort to know him and choose an appropriate gift. The worst thing that can happen? He doesn't like it and has to go return it and buy whatever he wants. Same tircha as having to go to the store to spend the gift card.

Best case? He likes it and doesn't need to go back to the store. And knows you made an effort to get an nice gift.

Anyways, a gift is a gift. It's never an obligation, so whatever you get for someone they should like, no?

btw, your husband doesn't have to feel bad he can't manage to spend that person's gift. The giver had the same problem choosing one for your husband.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 11:49 am
A gift isn't really a gift, is it? A gift is appreciation.

mumoo

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 12:27 pm
should be. I like giving gifts best when I see something that would be "just perfect!" for so and so. Its a surprise, perfectly appropriate and from the heart

I like less giving-and getting gifts when its obligatory, Chanukah, anniversaries, housewarmings

we didn't stand on ceremony too much when I was growing up. my mother didn't always get birthday presents, but she was good for the every week or so goodie from when she was out shopping
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics