Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Cosco Scenera car seat

AhavatYisrael

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 4:52 am
We're thinking of buying the cosco for my 1 yr old. I'm not completely thrilled with how unstable it looks, but (most of) the reviews are good and we need something very light weight to put in and out of cabs. It's so light that I can take it out of the cab and put it on my stroller hood and still be able to manoever the stroller very easily.
I have two concerns that I was hoping that you amothers could help me with.
Quite a few of the reviews mentioned having to put a pool noodle under the car seat "to keep it level". What does "keeping it level" mean? Does anyone here have experience with that?
Also, does anyone just buckle in the carseat without using the LATCH system? Obviously we won't be able to hook it all up every time we get in the car and I'm concerned about how this will impact the safety.
Thanks!

lst

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 5:56 am
The car seat is fine. Cosco carseats are perfectly safe. It needs to be level, like it shouldn't be wobbly on the seat. You can definitely just buckle it in, just make sure you really learn how to install it properly with the buckle. You physically have to get into the carseat and push it back and down into the seat as you tighten the seatbelt. Also, if the seatbelt doesn't lock you need a locking clip, which is kind of annoying to install carseats with.
LATCH is definitely easier in some ways, but buckles aren't terrible.

little_mage

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:01 am
We have it, mainly for the same reason you do. I know that rear-facing is safer, but since you have a one year old, I would install it forward facing. We did that for the first time and it felt much more stable. Rear facing the back always feels a little wobbly to me. The one other things it that there are a fair number of straps coming off of it and it's not super small (even if it is light), so I would be concerned about being able to see over it if it was on top of my stroller. One the other hand, I'm really petite, so that might not be a concern for you.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 9:11 am
I give these out from my gemach. they're fine. carseats need to be installed at a certain angle for maximum safety. this can be difficult for any carseat if the actual seat of the car is slippery or sloped a certain way. you won't need a noodle in most cars, I think. and car seats have an indicator to tell you if they are level, so you don't have to wonder about it. as for the seatbelt, installing car seats with the seat belt is actually safer than the latch system. the latch is easier for most people to install correctly, which is why it is there. when installing a car seat using the seat belt, make sure to place your knee into the seat while pulling the seatbelt as tight as you can. if it's installed properly, it should be tight enough not to shift when you push the top.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 9:54 am
These seats do have a tendency to need help being stabilized when installing rear facing, but forward facing is a cinch. For periodic use, it's a good choice since you don't pay an arm and a leg for it.
I don't like the lack of strap covers, the tendency to twist, and minimal padding for long term use, but for your needs, I think it's a great seat.

I'm not sure that I would jump to installing it FF for a one year old. There is nothing about a one year old that makes it safe to be forward facing all of a sudden...just car seats didn't used to be so big. At least till 2, a child should be RF. Preferably till 3 (or 4!) because the spine is not developed strong enough to withstand collisions when the neck lurches forward till that point. Unfortunately, there have been cases where that injury was enough to be fatal. RF would have prevented it, and it's 5x safer for a child this age to be rear facing. Just practice installing it beforehand to make sure you have a snug fit, without an inch of leeway from side to side.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 9:56 am
mummiedearest wrote:
I give these out from my gemach. they're fine. carseats need to be installed at a certain angle for maximum safety. this can be difficult for any carseat if the actual seat of the car is slippery or sloped a certain way. you won't need a noodle in most cars, I think. and car seats have an indicator to tell you if they are level, so you don't have to wonder about it. as for the seatbelt, installing car seats with the seat belt is actually safer than the latch system. the latch is easier for most people to install correctly, which is why it is there. when installing a car seat using the seat belt, make sure to place your knee into the seat while pulling the seatbelt as tight as you can. if it's installed properly, it should be tight enough not to shift when you push the top.

That is not true.
It's just as safe, not safer.

Also make sure the seatbelt locks in place...if it doesn't, you will need a locking clip.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 11:34 am
We used it rear facing in cabs all the time until my daughter was 3. It is fine if it is "wobbly" in the back, it needs to not be able to not move across the part where the seat belt goes in. Feeling like it is less "wobbly" does not mean your child is safer, rear facing until at least 2 is extremely important. Read the manual well and it is quite easy to use. Make sure to lock the seatbelt every time.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 12:09 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

That is not true.
It's just as safe, not safer.

Also make sure the seatbelt locks in place...if it doesn't, you will need a locking clip.

I have definitely read reports claiming that the seatbelt is safer than the latch by a small percentage. I'm not saying that it's wrong to use the latch, just that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the seatbelt by itself.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 12:26 pm
I'd be interested in reading that Smile

I have never heard of it being safer, just that it's as safe, and I've researched it quite extensively.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 12:29 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'd be interested in reading that Smile

I have never heard of it being safer, just that it's as safe, and I've researched it quite extensively.

Actually, thinking of it more, it is safer when you hit 40 lbs (or so, it varies), because many cars have a limit on the anchors for LATCH. But whatever Smile

AhavatYisrael

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 5:02 pm
Thanks for all the replies!!
So...the impression I'm getting is that it isn't the greatest seat to be constantly reinstalled RF each time I have to put it in the cab -especially seeing as each time I'll have to analyze whether it's level in that particular car and try to problem solve while the driver waits...with the meter on...
Obviously I wouldn't be able to use either the LATCH or the tether, but what if I put the passenger seat all the way back so that it locks in the car seat (in addition to using the seatbelt)? Would that be the safe solution?
Obviously, ds's safety is the most important, so if I have to somehow buy a heavier car seat and have to somehow shlep it around whenever we arrive at a destination, I'll make a plan, but I'd like to first explore if there's a 100% safe way to have him in this carseat and RF so that I don't have to go that route.

SivanMom

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 5:41 pm
I have one of these rear facing for my 21 month old. I don't like this seat at all. I like my Marathon, Roundabout and EFTA much better, but those are all bulky and heavy (and expensive). It might be a good choice for in and out of cars, it's actually the one my husband chooses to take out when we need to give someone a ride. And it shouldn't be a problem to attach it with a seatbelt. The seat is perfectly safe, and using the seatbeld is perfectly safe. The reason I don't like it is because of the straps. For some reason they shift, making one side longer and one side shorter at random times. I'm constantly readjusting them. My husband always miraculously leaves that side of the car for me to strap in, while he straps in the two kids on the left. It's also the seat we chose to put behind the driver's seat (DH is a big guy) because of it's small profile.
So yeah, it's not a great seat, but not a bad choice for in and out. And please do RF, not like a PP recommended.
ETA: I did not need to put a noodle under the seat and we have a very secure fit. It depends on the car.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:23 pm
AhavatYisrael wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!!
So...the impression I'm getting is that it isn't the greatest seat to be constantly reinstalled RF each time I have to put it in the cab -especially seeing as each time I'll have to analyze whether it's level in that particular car and try to problem solve while the driver waits...with the meter on...
Obviously I wouldn't be able to use either the LATCH or the tether, but what if I put the passenger seat all the way back so that it locks in the car seat (in addition to using the seatbelt)? Would that be the safe solution?
Obviously, ds's safety is the most important, so if I have to somehow buy a heavier car seat and have to somehow shlep it around whenever we arrive at a destination, I'll make a plan, but I'd like to first explore if there's a 100% safe way to have him in this carseat and RF so that I don't have to go that route.

analysis of the angle takes a few seconds at most if you check it before connecting the seatbelt. it's reallynot a big deal, and it's standard on all car seats afaik.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 9:58 pm
Not all car seats allow bracing against the front seat. Most do not, IIRC. I do not remember the rules for this one. Ask on car-seat.org if google doesn't tell you Smile

Checking the install is the same on all car seats so I wouldn't say this is more of a hassle than others.

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 3:30 am
I love my Scenera...I actually find the LATCH installation on it to be more of a pain than the seatbelt installation, but it's a good seat. The harness straps get out of whack (one side longer than the other) in one of two cases: one is if I leave them too loose and DS can play with them, and the other is if it's just slightly too tight and I have to fiddle with them to get his arms out (make one longer, remove one arm, then switch).

sara_s

Post Sat, Dec 21 2013, 2:25 pm
we are thinking of getting a Cosco Scenera, but woried about the reviews here.

It will be for daily use, so I don't mind spending more (up to $150, otherwise I'd get the Diono Radian)

I don't care about weight, since it will be in the car.

Prefer somethingwith good seatbelt installation, since I have a Europea car without LATCH fixtures. (Will LATCH carseat clip on to IsoFix fixtures?)

But do need a carseat that's as narrow as possible, and will fit in a very small car.

Thanks Ladies for your help! I spent so much time on line and still can't find an option other than the Cosco.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics