Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what age should a baby ...

amother

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 6:32 am
By what age should a baby be stretching their arms out to be lifted or in response to your outstretched arms? My baby just doesn't seem to get it, he'll get excited when he sees my arms outstretched towards him but will make no move whatsoever to come forward or give me his hands. Question

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
By what age should a baby be stretching their arms out to be lifted or in response to your outstretched arms? My baby just doesn't seem to get it, he'll get excited when he sees my arms outstretched towards him but will make no move whatsoever to come forward or give me his hands. Question
How old is your baby?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 7:37 am
I've actually checked a baby development site and it seems he should've been doing that between 7 - 9 months. He's 11 months now! Would that indicate a developmental delay?

morah

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 8:16 am
Is it just just this, or are there other milestones he's not meeting? A few minor things here or there is not a cause for concern. Kids will develop at their own pace, you can't hold them to the standard of the book. If there are more and bigger milestones that he's not meeting (and I mean not even close to meeting, not almost-but-not-quite-there), then talk to your pediatrician and get evaluated for therapy.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 10:27 am
Does he seem to understand you in other aspects? Does he understand the meaning of 'no' when you say it firmly and seriously? If he does, I wouldn't worry. Otherwise, it may be a delay that needs to be addressed.

ellie23

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 1:40 pm
I had the same exact concern! I actually had a therapist tell me that if the baby shows ANY sign at all of wanting to be picked up by you, its fine. signs may include: a change in facial expression when seeing you nearby (smiling), any physical or verbal motion at all that indicates a desire to be near you/picked up by you (arm flapping- my dd does this, squealing, arm lifting- even straight out, etc...

I would suggest that you test your child by placing him on the floor. walk toward him, talking to him and smiling at him. stretch out your arms toward him and stop..see what he does. if he isnt showing any signs at all of wanting to be picked up by you or closer to you or happy to see you- take him to a doctor. at this age he should be displaying some of these signs.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 3:58 pm
Thanks all of you, it's been a while since my second-to-youngest was a baby and it suddenly occurred to me that my baby is not so little anymore and not reaching out. I'll keep an eye out for other delays though I think he's fine.

Funny, as I'm writing this I decided to try reaching out to him and though he didn't reach out he tried to catch my hand with one of his hands for the VERY first time. How cute! I had tried doing this previously and though he got excited he simply sat and waited to be picked up. I'm sure glad there's an improvement and hope he continues to develop normally in all other ways. It's great to know I can always get sound advice on here. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics