Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Earring keeps falling out
Previous  1  2

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 5:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Definitely huggies/lever back. They are awesome.
NOT screw back unless you want the kid's ear to grow over the earring God forbid (you're welcome to take our pair, one of which the surgeon removed from my dd's ear years ago).

OMG did not know that could happen!

P.S. why are you saving the earrings? LOL

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 5:37 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
OMG did not know that could happen!

P.S. why are you saving the earrings? LOL

My mom asked the same thing! Cuz they're gold and not inexpensive? LOL

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 5:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My mom asked the same thing! Cuz they're gold and not inexpensive? LOL

Maybe sell them on ebay?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
So I put crazy glue on dd's pushback and it works wonders. The only problem is that she had ear tubes surgery this week and they ordered all metal off only to realize that we couldn't take the earring off! We tried with a ring cutter and other stuff but we couldn't get it off. Since dd is only 1, she kept on fighting so Im sure if the kid is a little older it wouldn't be such a problem to just cut the plastic pushback.

Anon cuz I asked so many ppl irl how to get it off.

Please. Don't ever again use crazy glue anywhere near your dc skin, or your own for that matter. Dd you really glue the earring to her ear, or just glue the earring back to the post? Do I even want to know?
For future reference, if you should ever find that you have intelligently (not!) glued your fingers or other awkward body parts together or to something else, nail polish remover or acetone dissolves crazy glue. Not that you should be using acetone or nail polish remover anywhere near your baby's skin.
Why can't you people let babies be babies and get earrings when they're old enough to take care of them on their own? Nobody will reject your dd for a shidduch because she had naked earlobes till she turned 6, or 16, or 26. I didn't get earrings till I was 20 and never found that it had effect on my social life.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 5:57 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Maybe sell them on ebay?

Good idea Smile

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
Why can't you people let babies be babies and get earrings when they're old enough to take care of them on their own? Nobody will reject your dd for a shidduch because she had naked earlobes till she turned 6, or 16, or 26. I didn't get earrings till I was 20 and never found that it had effect on my social life.
Agreed. My mother was always so opposed to pierced ears (she's pretty old and she thought it was barbaric, so she always wore clip ons.) So when I was in Israel for a year, I pierced my ears and talked 3 of my friends into doing after I lived. I sent my mother a letter telling her (that's how we communicated cross the ocean in 1980), she turned white and said to my older sister "What's the worst thing that a mother can hear her daughter did?". (I can just imagine what my sister thought I did shock). After that I even talked my sister and cousin into doing it too.

Any even simple earring really gives your face a pick up. I let my daughters pierce their ears for their Bat Mitzvahs. I didn't think they "needed" it then either, but they were old enough to want them and take care of them. It wasn't any different than buying them a sweater or book that they wanted.

But, I agree. Why do people pierce baby's ears? I'm sure the baby hasn't been begging for them. And babies are so yummy, even when they're totally naked. They have a natural beauty. Do you put eyeliner and blush on her too?

Kitten

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 7:26 pm
OP's daughter already has pierced ears, so all this talk about pierced ears being barbaric is a bit off topic.
I got my ears pierced when I was bas mitzvah. My mother thought it was a bad idea before because as the ears grow, the whole might end up in the wrong place later. I am so happy to have pierced ears because it's the only jewelry I feel comfortable wearing. If you work a lot with your hands, rings and bracelets are not practical at all, and necklaces don't necessarily look good with every outfit (neckline, etc.). As for clip ons, they are torture.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:08 pm
Kitten wrote:
OP's daughter already has pierced ears, so all this talk about pierced ears being barbaric is a bit off topic.
I got my ears pierced when I was bas mitzvah. My mother thought it was a bad idea before because as the ears grow, the whole might end up in the wrong place later. I am so happy to have pierced ears because it's the only jewelry I feel comfortable wearing. If you work a lot with your hands, rings and bracelets are not practical at all, and necklaces don't necessarily look good with every outfit (neckline, etc.). As for clip ons, they are torture.
(I didn't say I thought they were barbaric, I said my 80 YO mother thought they were till I got - she might still but she doesn't say anything) I love having pierced ears cause I'm really not a jewelry person. I wear only one pair always. They're perfect for any occasion. (I'll post a picture tomorrow - maybe). I never take them out so there's no thought or fussing with them. DH keep trying to buy me new ones and I return them. I don't like any others better than these. (wait till you see the picture, you'll understand why I don't need any others. I don't want to have to think and keep changing them (I sleep I these too)

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:25 pm
Sanguine wrote:
And babies are so yummy, even when they're totally naked. They have a natural beauty. Do you put eyeliner and blush on her too?

You jest, but little do you know.... I still shudder recalling an ancient imamother thread about mothers putting makeup on their infants, either for special occasions or before having them photographed. We're talking infants as young as a few months. Blusher, lipstick, even mascara! on an INFANT! One mother admitted putting mascara on her baby boy, no less, because he had very pale, nearly invisible lashes. I hate to think what this woman is doing to her child's self-esteem. "Mommy doesn't think you're cute enough to be photographed without being 'fixed'." ugh.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
Please. Don't ever again use crazy glue anywhere near your dc skin, or your own for that matter. Dd you really glue the earring to her ear, or just glue the earring back to the post? Do I even want to know?
For future reference, if you should ever find that you have intelligently (not!) glued your fingers or other awkward body parts together or to something else, nail polish remover or acetone dissolves crazy glue. Not that you should be using acetone or nail polish remover anywhere near your baby's skin.

Chas vesholom!!! I put a drop of crazy glue on the tip of a toothpick and glue with basically a drop the back of the pushback to the post. It doesnt touch her skin at all. I knew about the nail polish remover but that wouldnt work only by just putting a drop so I didnt feel comfortable using it as I was afraid it may touch her skin.

srbmom

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 10:33 pm
http://www.mindyharris.com/

This brand has quite a few screw back earring options. I've seen them featured a lot on MyHabit if you want to wait for a sale there

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:27 am
I actually make a good bit of side money in my community by switching everybody's fish hook earrings into lever backs! Depending on the metal I use, the price will vary, but I don't charge much for labor. Everyone knows me as the "earring lady". I also fix broken necklace and bracelet clasps, again, prices vary for metal used.

It's worth doing if you love the dangle, but hate the ear wire, or if you have a cheap metal dangle and want precious metal wires to prevent metal allergy. I have open lever backs in 14k gold, so that you can switch out all of your costume earrings at will. Pay for one set of hoops, and wear anything you want. Very Happy

PM me if you want me to fix yours!

UQT

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:05 am
I was told to put clear nail polish on the earing after closing. To remove use nail polish remover. Been working so far. Disclamer - this daughter is 9, but don't see why it shouldn't work on a baby.

cookiewriter

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:52 pm
They sell screw backs in every jewelry store in lakewood and brooklyn. Call first obviosuly. Also I've found that screwbackls combined with those thick clear rubber backs are a great combo.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:43 pm
I first got earrings at a few weeks, and for months I was pulling them out and losing one after the other. At about 6 months my mom finally left them out and let the holes close up. I got them re-pierced when I was going in to Pre-1A as a "you're a big girl now that you're starting school" kind of present. (For my younger 3 sisters my mom waited till the summer after kindergarden.)

Interesting note, when I went to get my ears re-pierced, I got them pierced in different spots as the original piercing was too high up on my ear. So now I've got two holes Smile The original is closed up and I can't get anything through anymore (though I haven't tried since I was 7.) and people HAVE noticed and asked me about it...Oh the stories I used to make up... Wink

(anon cuz many people know this about me)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics