Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Are you more likely to use a recipe if there's a pic of it?
1  2  Next

would you buy a cookbook with no pictures?
yes  
 40%  [ 50 ]
no  
 54%  [ 68 ]
other  
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 124

yo'ma

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 5:42 pm
A friend of mine was telling me how she loves the BY cookbook because it has lots of pictures and she needs to see the food. I also have that book and while I looked through the book and only looked at the pictures, I go for the recipe itself. I'll try almost anything, as long as it's not too complicated. Wink

So, the question, would you more likely to use a recipe if there's a picture of it?

edited to add poll

Last edited by yo'ma on Sun, Aug 05 2012, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 5:44 pm
DEFINITELY!

I have a hard time imagining what recipes will turn out to look like or taste like without photos.

shoshanarena

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 5:45 pm
Of course!! I usually only make the recipes with pictures next to it!

September June

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 5:49 pm
Yes

Zus

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 5:52 pm
For sure!

Unless it's from imamother or something.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 5:57 pm
Yes; I taste with my eyes as well as with my mouth. Similarly, I don't buy dresses that look bad on the model.

Superwife

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 6:08 pm
yup. plain and simple.
I am a fanatic cook with a great cooking reputation under my belt (and hundreds of satisfied guests to boot) and I will admit that a picture attached to a recipe helps me visualize and formulate my own version of the dish.

Bea21

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 6:12 pm
Almost always, it's the picture that pulls me and helps me visualize what exactly I'm making.
This does not mean that I won't try a recipe without a pic if it sounds really good.

this should really be a poll!

Happy18

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 6:24 pm
Yes. I am much more likely to cook a recipe that has a picture next to it.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 6:36 pm
I only buy a cookbook if it has pictures. I don't need every recipe to have pictures but anything different needs a picture or I don't make it For example, I bought the Fresh & Easy cookbook, saw the recipe for Chaya's Chatzilim and I couldn't picture how it should come out so I skipped over the recipe. I later had it by a friend and now that I know how it's supposed to come out I make it.

climbing613

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 6:37 pm
Definitely. Unless it was on imamother or someone told recommended it so that I get reviews or comments to go with it.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 6:44 pm
For sure! Nowadays all (not kosher) cookbooks have a picture with each recipe, you end up with fewer recipes but more usable ones.
I'm totally visual like that.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 6:49 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I only buy a cookbook if it has pictures.

Funny thing is that NONE of my cookbooks have pictures, since I got all of them when I got married 14 years ago, before fancy frum cookbooks were invented. But if there's a recipe in a magazine, I'd only try it if it has a photo!

yo'ma

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 7:01 pm
Bea21 wrote:
Almost always, it's the picture that pulls me and helps me visualize what exactly I'm making.
This does not mean that I won't try a recipe without a pic if it sounds really good.

I added a poll, but read it carefully before answering, so you don't get confused.

Happy18

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 7:48 pm
The only way I would buy a cookbook with no pictures would be if I were very familiar with the recipes. For example I bought Spice and Spirit because my mother uses it and I know a bunch of recipes that I like.

mvp

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 8:06 pm
Sometimes the pictures scare me off - because they look like it's some fancy complex thing to make...
Sometimes I just look at pictures of food to get ideas - and don't bother looking at the actual recipe.

I've stopped buying cookbooks altogether - because I can find everything online
I really only use recipes for baking - and I choose based on internet rating

yummymummy

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 8:51 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Bea21 wrote:

I added a poll, but read it carefully before answering, so you don't get confused.

aha, this explanis why none of the earlier posts match your poll question!

For me it depends on what I need the recipes for. For fancy recipes to serve company I prefer a picture. For quick recipes to prepare for my family, I prefer the simplest, great tasting recipes I can find and who needs a picture to illustrate a new roasted chicken recipe?

sky

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 8:55 pm
I make recipes even without a picture. But I really like a picture because it gives so many ideas about how to plate the food.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 9:42 pm
No.

Raizle

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 10:15 pm
Totally!!!
I'm so surprised that 'No' is winning in the polls. I thought that everyone would be like this and that it was human nature.

actually I selected 'other' because I don't buy cookbooks. I use what I have at home from when I got married or I go online to look for something new. When online I'm more likely to use recipes that have a picture and look good
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics