Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Favorite healthy recipes

sheindl

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 10:16 am
I'm looking to reform our diets a little bit. I want to start cooking healthy, by creating some new favourites, and integrating them into our meal routine. For e.g: I'd like to replace the typical baked goods we eat with healthier versions, and I'm always finding it hard to come up with breakfast/ lunch options (salads are difficult to pack for lunch b/c realistically, the only time I can prepare meals is in the evening).

So... what are your favorite HEALTHY recipes?

SS6099

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 6:32 pm
This is very hard to reply to as you've gone very general. What category are you looking for?

girlzrus

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 7:32 pm
salads can be prepared the night befor. just leave the dressing on the side. I once bought these tiny 2 oz containers , it makes u feel as though your eating takeout
another idea is to cut veggies in strips. think kirbies, peppers, celery, carrots and they're great to munch on.

sheindl

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 8:31 pm
I guess like, healthy baked goods and desserts?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 9:01 pm
Fruit cobbler can be relatively healthy. Use fresh fruit, ww flour and oats in the topping, use a healthy oil, and use minimal sweetener.

You didn't ask for snacks, but in case you're interested, I love roasted chick peas. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder,garlic powder,paprika and cumin. Roast in a single layer til crunchy.

Ay Jay Jay

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 3:45 pm
I cook healthy/diet friendly.
You can use brown rice pasta instead of regular. Change over to whole wheats instead of white carbs, brown rice instead of white rice. Quinoa is also great!

Meal ideas:
I make soups, chilli, meatballs, a great variety of chicken, turkey, steak, stuffed cabbage, meatloaf. I like portebello mushrooms, can make burgers out of them or stuff them. I don't eat fish, but wish I did because it's healthy, and a great sense of protein. Tuna patties.
Burritos, tacos with fake meat. Broccoli quiche. Deviled eggs. Salads.
For sides, instead of mashed potatos I made mashed cauliflower. I like butternut squash, broccoli.
A new idea I just came up w/ a few weeks ago is meatballs with spaghetti squash.
Another great one is chicken cacciatore with brown rice noodles.

I never fry, and cook with only olive oil and canola oil only.

Skinnykosherkitchen

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 7:23 am
Hey I hope this isn't going to be considered like a spam message - I just wanted to tell you that I just started writing a blog which does exactly what you're talking about, taking regular recipes and making them more healthy - for example I posted a recipe yesterday for mini tuna burgers which is a really low fat version of fried ones; they're great for family dinner times and also for taking into work the next day cold! Hope that helps :-) - this is the link to the recipe I mentioned http://skinnykosherkitchen.blo......html

es

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 11:18 pm
Delicious Freezer-Friendly Sweet Potato Cheese Pancakes

Great for breakfast or lunch- pop in toaster for breakfast (10 minutes), or let defrost in lunch bag.

Wet ingredients, mix well:
-1 cup mashed leftover sweet potatoes
-3-4 eggs (3 ex lg, or 4 medium)
-1 cup small curd cottage cheese
-3/4-1 cup milk (more if you like a runny batter, less if you prefer doughy)
-5-7 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dry ingredients, mix well in larger bowl:
-2 cups white whole wheat flour
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix till the dry ingredients are just incorporated (you don't see any more flour). Heat oil/cooking spray in a large non-stick pan and fry up till light brown on both sides. Cool on paper towel lined plates. Then store in freezer in freezer-safe gallon size Ziplock bags. Keeps for around 3 months, but they will be eaten well before Wink

es

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 11:35 pm
Mexican recipes are super simple and fun to mix and match.
1. Have healthy tortillas, soft or hard, on hand- wrap them separately from fillings so they don't get soggy.
2. Avocados- unless you or your kids don't like them, but they are chock full of healthy fats! To keep from getting brown, cut the avocado in half, leave the avocado in the shell, and spray a little Pam on the cut side. Wrap closely in plastic wrap and it won't brown. When you are ready to eat it at lunchtime, just dig in with a spoon!
3. Hard boiled eggs- even just peeled and sprinkled with salt or any spice- are a great protein source! And eggs now have less cholesterol than they did years ago.
4. A salsa recipe:
Home-made from a can salsa:
-1 can corn, drained
-1 can black beans, drained, rinsed in colander very well
-1 can diced tomatoes, drained (or 1-2 fresh tomatoes, diced, if you have time-it will cut down salt)
-chopped onion or green onion, to taste
-spices, to taste: crushed garlic or garlic powder, cumin, chilli powder, cilantro (fresh or dried), salt, pepper
-juice of half a lemon, or lime
This recipe has tons of fiber that will keep you full for hours and the corn and beans make a complementary protein (good for vegans).
*** If you have "issues" eating beans, know that the more often you eat them, the less "issues" you will get. Get it LOL

Vanilla

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 11:58 pm
es I love your ideas!

thankyou

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 2:01 am
Es-do you make or buy the healthy tortillas?

flmommy

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 7:57 am
Looked at the blog. Mazel tov on loosing so much weight. I really enjoyed the blog and am going to try on of the recipes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking