Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Bais Yaakov Ateres Miriam, Far Rockaway Inquiry
1  2  3  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 9:56 am
I am not able to get through to the school and was wondering if anyone here is in contact with them or has spoken to them? My daughter will be in Pre-1A and I still haven't received any information from them regarding tuition or schedules. Any other mothers on here sending to that school or know a/t about it?
I am starting to panic and would love to speak to another parent. TIA.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:25 pm
when I try calling this school (I googled the number) to find out more info - it just rings and says their phone is not set up.. anyone have a different contact number? is the listed number incorrect? this was during the school day when I called.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:28 pm
This is the number I use and get through to.
718-868-3232. Make sure to call 9-3. Good luck.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:36 pm
thanks! that's the number I called today around 2:15. I really just wanted to find out info (might be too late for next year..) do you know what makes this school different than the other girls schools in the five towns? specifically tag and bnos bais yaakov.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:38 pm
I heard that the preschool is montessorie style and people are NOT happy about it. Please check into it carefully.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:45 pm
I don't think it's too late for next year yet.
They do lean a bit toward Montessori-style but definitely are still mainstream. I happen to like the balance. Mrs. Zytman, program director, is really good. I don't see yet how this style is going to play out in first grade/elementary school.
I'm surprised ppl are saying they are unhappy. The parents all seem very positive and most seem to be sticking with it.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:48 pm
pink and yellow - what makes this school different then tag and bnos?

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:05 pm
The obvious is that it's smaller. I don't know much about tag or bnos because I haven't been living here that long. Originally we had looked at tag but it was too late in the year and they were full. We heard, (but I'm not saying this as fact) that bnos was more 'far-frumt'. I guess ultra yeshivish type. Bais Yaakov AM is definitely very frum but still seems to be a mix of very frum yeshivish and balabatish. At the dinner, dh was definitely not the odd man out without a hat but still in the minority.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:25 pm
Interesting. It's smaller bcuz it's new though so may get bigger.. Still not sure what the difference is with tag.. Besides for size. Do they have resource room and help with therapies girls may need or not really? I guess Bnos is more yeshivish.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:37 pm
It is not Montessori -style though I see why people would say that. It follows Developmentally Appropriate Practice, which is the recommended method for teaching preschoolers by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and is the methodology taught in the finest graduate schools of education. It is not new or newfangled, I learned it almost 20 years ago. I haven't been in BBY, but in their literature, they purport to use this methodology as does YOSS.
My own children went through this system at BYQ and did more than fine when it came to the academics in first grade and beyond. I imagine the parents who aren't so happy aren't educators.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:40 pm
Right, but it'll still take time for them to grow.
As of now they don't have resource room or anything like that. But for all I know they may be setting it up for next year, not sure. If you want more info on my personal experience, maybe pm me.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
I heard that the preschool is montessorie style and people are NOT happy about it. Please check into it carefully.

as a parent of a girl in byam, I would ask you to please post under your own name when saying something like this. there are parents who are unhappy about some things, but 1. you will have that in any school, and 2. as far as I can tell the majority of the parents are quite happy.

my daughter is in nursery this year, and we are THRILLED with byam so far. we are considering moving, and one of the reasons why we want to stay semi local is because we are so happy.

I dont know if anyone answered this question yet, but one thing that makes byam different than the other schools around here is the warmth that is exuded. thats not to say the other schools arent warm, im sure they are. but rabbi neuman wants the school to be like a family, where is big enough to not be "the new school" anymore, but its not so big that people dont know each other, both staff/faculty and students alike.

on a personal level, I feel that rabbi neuman is much more approachable for a broader range of discussions than the menahels in the other schools. I have spoke to him about a few different personal issues which have affected my daughter because they were affecting me, and friends who have kids in bby AND in tag both told me that my daughter would be put on the "watch list" if I brought up such things in the other schools. to me, thats a big problem. just because I am struggling with something doesnt mean my daughter (who by the way is only in nursery) is going to be a problem. if I want to know how to deal with something so that I dont say/do something that is different than what the school says, she should not be penalized for it.

the school is growing very slowly, which I think is great. there was a rumor (perhaps it was true, I dont know) that they were going to open a 2nd grade as well as the needed 1st grade, but rabbi neuman said that a demand for it doesnt mean that its the right time for it. he wants the school to be successful in its own time, so for now they are opening nursery-1st grade next year. I know there will be two kindergartens, I dont know about any of the other grades.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:07 pm
Still don't know what's different about it.. I have heard the other schools are very warm as well, caring and into chesed as well as helping all different kinds of kids. The only real thing in hearing is its smaller which can be possitive if ur looking for that. How many kids per class?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:46 am
Is the tuition any different than the other 2 ?

shirtsandskirts

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:47 am
is there a difference in the tuition between the schools?
I really want to send dd to byam, because I think Rabbi Neuman is fantastic (his father was my principal), she's just too young. I can't wait till she grows up. hope it's still around then

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:48 am
Where would you say the crowd stems from ? Is it far rockaway or Woodmere from rabbi neumans area? Are there any Cedarhurst or Lawrence parents? Are there any big name backers of the school financially and or representatively?
Who are the teachers? Are they licensed certified? Do they have any previous experience? How is the building? Is it clean bright spacious?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:53 am
While in theory a small school is good but if there's only one class per grade and the class isn't such a good fit either students or teacher there's no option of a different class to switch to.. Just things to consider

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:11 am
How many girls are in each class?

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:30 am
In my daughter's pre-1a, she has 8 classmates. Her and one other girl are far Rockaway. The Hebrew teacher is special ed cert. The other classes are bigger (probably always will be) and also more mixed. I know they are getting more kids in all the classes for next year.

happy1234

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:05 am
I am iyh sending my DD to the school this Sept.My friend is a teacher at the school and she said the.classes will have close to 20 students. I am very excited to send there. rabbi neuman paid attention to her at the interview and answred all our questions. we got to walk arnd the school and check out the classrooms. We live in cedarhurst and my friend said that girls are from all diff areas
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers