Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Frum women not to have careers?
Previous  1  2

yoyosma

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 2:38 pm
If that article is true, how long until women wont know how to read anymore? I know I sound extreme but this is a huge blow to women and the education they deserve!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:30 pm
Because of my advanced degrees, I am able to work one day per week and bring in more income in ONE DAY than many make PER WEEK.
The rest of the time I am able to be home with my children. In my opinion, it's the best of both worlds.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:37 pm
I cannot afford to be a sahm. but I am anyway because its not an option for me to give my kids to babysitter. its sooooo hard and I hate that we have to struggle with money, but I just cant go to work. I hate that parnassa has to be so difficult!

shayna82

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:45 pm
where do these guys expect to get their teachers? in the next 10 years, all the older teachers will be gone, and the need fo rnew ones will be very apparant. I cant imagine this sort of thinking going too far.

ceo

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:33 pm
I am not sure that we got the whole story from this article, as someone else mentioned, is from a paper that is not known from being charedi friendly.

Is all it seems to say is that the B.A. degree should be cancelled, and from what it seems to say, it's specifically discussing the B.A. in education. This is not a huge deal in the charedi world in Israel , as most girls finish the seminary program without a B.A. degree, the degree they get is a bit different. Obviously, as it is, teaching positions are hard to find, but I know plenty of chareidi women in other fields who work with the degree offered by the chareidi seminaries -- bookkeepers, graphics, programming, etc..

I think that we are not getting the full story over here. I highly doubt that this psak was made in order to keep the women barefoot and pregnant in in the kitchen. R' elyashiv is not ch"v a mean spiteful man who wants to see everyone poor and miserable....

It very possibly had something to do with the B.A. degree and the (anti-religious) ministry of education's attempt to control the charedi seminaries, or something like that.

roza

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:54 pm
On the official Chareidi site there is an article:
Bringing Bais Yaakov Teachers' Studies Under Rabbinical Control

http://chareidi.shemayisrael.c.....v.htm

which is takeh about teaching degrees, but I wonder what about other fields and trainings, like computers and nursing?

ceo

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:14 pm
thanks for that, roza. It seems that it's talking about teaching degrees because of the ministry of education was insisting about certain types of psychology, which are not necessarily in agreement with Torah, being taught. And, like the article said, the lower levels (bachir, kefel to;ar, and gemulim) are still sufficient for teaching. Also, for those outside of e"y, the college/degree thing is very different, and can't really be compared to the system in the U.s.

I don;t think that this will effect other areas of study,as trief psychology doesn't usually play a role into graphics, bookkeeping, etc... and again, most girls ANYWAY in the charedi seminaries don't go for a B.A., most girls stop at one of the lower levels and get jobs with that.

I REALLy don't think it's necessary to bash the rabbonim of charedi jewry in e'y. I stand by the assumption that R'Elyahsiv is a nice, friendly man who is not out to make all women miserable. and everyone poor:D So I think that the title "Frum women not to have careers" is a misnomer.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics