Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
4 yr old dd snores and wakes up frequently at night

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 5:30 pm
I don't know when it started but this year dd was sick often and she breathes loud and always sounds stuffed. she wakes up frequently at night, goes to the bathroom, stays up for a little and goes back to sleep.
I'm getting a little worried. and I think I will go to the ped tomorrow anyway, but am I being neurotic or should I be really worried?

myfriends715

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 5:31 pm
Sounds like it could be enlarged adnoids. Take her to an ENT

B"H YOM YOM

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 6:14 pm
I agree with above poster. Stuffiness and mouth breathing in children can be a sign of chronically enlarged adenoids. And if she is constantly sick-with what? If the doc keeps saying 'sinuses', it could actually be adenoididis. If she is waking from it or seems unrested in morning, you want to rule out sleep apnea as well. ENT asap! (Even if your ped 'doesn't seem concerned').

sky

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 7:20 pm
look into sleep apnea\enlarged tonsils
Agree that even if your ped is not concerned you should still ask for a referral, blame it on your peace of mind.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 8:41 pm
op here.
she does have larger tonsils. she had a lot of strep this year. should I first go to ped or go straight to an ent? I don't need a referral.

lakewooder

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 9:31 pm
I second the ENT - my 2 year old had the same issues - along with tired / crabbiness during the day. We took out his tonsils and adenoids and its a huge difference!

cantaloupe

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:02 pm
There was an article in Binah Magazine, a little while back, about some kind of sleep disorder?

QUEENY

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:53 pm
Although I agree it sounds like the adnoids..my son had a similar issue and it was upper respitory reflux. I would go to the ENT.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:53 pm
ENT. Sleep apnea is caused by enlarged tonsils and/or adenoids.

Dd had surgery to remove them and magic! she sleeps like a dream. Oh, and she never got strep or had to have her nose wiped, ever, since then.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:38 pm
Sounds like her adenoids might have to go.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:49 pm
At the hospial where I work there is a pedatric pulmonologist who specializes in sleep disorders. I'd see him first.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 10:08 am
A pediatrician visit may be good for direction. If her tonsils are enlarged the ENT may send you for a sleep study and then determine how to precede. Your ped may give you good advice about who to see.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics