Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Congested baby - worry threshold?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:25 pm
20-month-old DD has a bad cold and I'm a FTM. The first night of the cold she had a high fever and was breathing funny, but when I gave her tylenol and the fever went down, her breathing evened out as well. I'd read that this is par for the course. Next couple of nights were fine, low/no fever, a little restless and uncomfortable but otherwise OK. Now today her cold seems to be drying up quite a bit, nose is no longer running like a faucet, but very congested and stuffed up instead. She's sleeping but seems to be breathing quite heavily and noisily. I know colds and congestion are normal and right now I'm not really worried, but I am wondering at what point or how do you know when strange breathing is worrisome?

bklynmom1

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:38 pm
I would take her in.

I thought my baby just had a bad cold (similar symptoms sans fever) and turns out she had bronchitis and needed a nebulizer.

Not to worry you. Smile I'm a first timer too, so I understand what you're feeling.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:42 pm
Difficulty breathing due to congestion is a reason to get her checked out. Bronchitis and bronchiolitis are pretty common at that age, and you want to treat it before she goes down the rabbit hole.

bklynmom1

Oh and I love the thread title. Smile

seeker

At close to 11 PM, "take her in" means into the ER. No way I'm doing that unless there's a dire emergency. She's been OK all day (always been fine by day actually, WHY do all the worries happen at night?!) and is now sleeping nicely.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is what were the signs that your kid had a bigger problem and needed bigger help? I imagine most colds blow over on their own without any doctor visits...

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:44 pm
Like I said- labored breathing, whether at night or while awake.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:46 pm
I mean, what delineates "difficulty breathing" from "snorting because your nose is stuffy after running like a waterfall all week"? I'm just kind of confused because I've had plenty of colds, and of course it's hard to breathe when you're all clogged up! So I'm not sure where "respiratory distress" kicks in. I'd take the baby to bed with me and listen to her breathe all night but frankly after doing that the fever night (BH the tylenol resolved that) and then again the next night not out of my worry but just because she wasn't feeling well or sleeping well, I need a good night's sleep! Then again, maybe the fact that she's sleeping in the crib more nicely than ever should also worry me?!

bklynmom1

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:48 pm
I did not mean now. Call the doc in the AM.

My baby slept fine most nights with this 'cold'. She was just coughing in her sleep. She started out with very runny nose, then coughing. She had a decreased appetite. She was a little kvetchy, but nothing crazy. Then she started 'breathing funny' = wheezing. After a day and half of that, I decided it was time to bring her in.

I'm very happy I did. I'm not saying your daughter for sure has bronchitis, but it's worth a visit or at least a call to the doc.

bklynmom1

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:50 pm
I meant she was wheezing for a day and a half. The runny nose started 2 days before that.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:52 pm
If she is wheezing, or its affecting her sleep or ability to eat.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:57 pm
What does wheezing sound like?

DH says she sounds fine now. So this is basically just because I want to know and stop worrying and second guessing myself all the time, I think we're OK tonight! I put some saline drops up her nose before bed and have had the humidifier running the last few days, hope that helps her be more comfortable. She's been acting fine during the days, eating more or less normally, sleep was a little more disturbed than usual but nothing dramatic like crying all night. Actually today I was starting to worry because she napped MORE than usual, then DH reminded me what I get like when I have a cold! And we had a couple of late nights recently for various reasons so maybe making up for lost time?

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:13 pm
Why didn't you see a dr if the fever persisted a few nights?

It may be wheezing or croup. Do you hear noise from her chest when she breathes?
Or if she coughing like a dog bark?

bklynmom1

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:13 pm
Not sure how to describe it. Google it? Kind of like heavy breathing, but that description doesn't seem right.

Honestly, I wasn't going to take her in either figuring it was just a cold. She was acting basically like herself.

I finally did when someone else mentioned the wheezing/coughing, and I realized that maybe I should check it out.

I think it's definitely worth the call tomorrow to the doctor.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:16 pm
More than worth the call. It's urgent that you see a dr tomorrow morning. Even a plain cold that goes on more than 3 days should be checked at a dr.

Better safe than sorry.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:21 pm
Sorry if I was unclear, the fever was only one night mainly - warmish but not worrisome on Shabbos, spiked motzei Shabbos into the hundreds, two doses of tylenol that night brought it down, Sunday was only warmish again, and by Sunday night the fever seemed all gone. I called the doctor Sunday morning (the morning after the night of high fever) and she agreed we could wait it out a day or two using Motrin as needed.

I don't notice any noise from her chest, when it's noisy it seems to be just from her nose and sometimes her breath seems to catch in her throat a bit.

There's been no coughing except occasional clearing throat type coughs.

I guess tomorrow can be doctor day then. Just so long as we're not having any midnight emergencies. DD will be so excited, she's been talking about going to the doctor ever since I first mentioned it as a possibility when she started warming up (as soon as we get there I'm sure she'll remember that she's not actually so fond of the place... but every time we head for the door it's "go doctor?" lol) I guess I just want to make sure I'm not being negligent by not considering this an emergency. I worry just enough to think maybe I'm ignoring something important, but not enough to make me turn our family and schedule upside down to spend a night in the ER Tongue Out

hadasa

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:25 pm
If the congestion sounds like it's all in the nose, I wouldn't worry too much unless it or the fever lasts more than a few days. If it sounds like it's in the throat or chest but the child is sleeping peacefully, I'd say it should be checked out in the morning. If CHV the child's nostrils are flaring with each breath or you see retractions in the chest or difficulty breathing is interfering with his sleep, go to the ER.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:41 pm
Your daughter is excited to go to dr? U sure she's ok? Lol!
My kids shriek at the mention of the bad "doctor" word! Not to mention when they actually see the dr....

bklynmom1

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 12:48 pm
What ended up happening?

How is your daughter?

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 1:21 pm
She slept pretty well through the night, woke up usual time, and seems OK just with the gloopy nose still. Eating normally, breathing normally (a little funny breathing while eating but that's obviously because her nose is stuffy and it's hard to breathe and eat at once). I'm not sure if she's a little out of sorts or that's just me. Toddler parenting, sigh. So overall she's looking OK but I'm still considering taking her to the doc maybe after lunch.

rac429

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 3:16 pm
My daughter had all the symptoms you are describing 8 times the first year of her life. Each time she was diagnosed with an ear infection due to the back up from all the congestion. She would eat and sleep fine (had slight fevers) but would just be a little kvetchy. I take my kids to the dr. for everything since I am so paranoid about the ears. It is always worth getting checked out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics