Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Congested baby - worry threshold?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 3:47 pm
My daughter had rsv which is just a simple cold that got into her lungs. They wanted to put her in the hospital but instead put her on a nebulizer and had her checked twice a day. Don't ever wait when your child seems not to be breathing normally even if it means waking up your doctor or going to the emergency room in middle of the night. . It's extremely dangerous.

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 5:35 pm
I just had this this week with my second child but already know the drill from my first who had 8 bronchitis in one year. took him to the dr sunday and sure enough it was bronchitis, I had wanted to go to the urgent care the night before already. he is cranky all week, I took him in again today because I wasn't seeing any improvement and sure enough now its in the other lung. my dr says if the mother is worried that is enough of a reason to come in and unfortunately I'm usually right.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 6:08 pm
Update from OP: Took her to the doctor, her being out of sorts all day worried me more than any of the other symptoms individually. B"H as of now he said everything (ears, lungs, throat) looks very clear, seems like just a bad cold. Said to come back if it persists through the weekend.

Thanks for all the opinions! B"H it wasn't any of the possibilities mentioned but it's still good to know that I did the right thing by going to the doctor and it wasn't a silly waste of time.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 7:03 pm
seeker wrote:
Update from OP: Took her to the doctor, her being out of sorts all day worried me more than any of the other symptoms individually. B"H as of now he said everything (ears, lungs, throat) looks very clear, seems like just a bad cold. Said to come back if it persists through the weekend.

Thanks for all the opinions! B"H it wasn't any of the possibilities mentioned but it's still good to know that I did the right thing by going to the doctor and it wasn't a silly waste of time.

Good job as a Mom! Again, better safe than sorry!

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 7:39 pm
How the child is acting is pretty telling as to how sick she is.

If you want to check for labored breathing, sit the child up and watch her diaphragm as she breathes. If she isn't inhaling properly, you'll notice from the way her chest to stomach area is moving while she breathes. It looks... labored. Smile

ckk

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 8:01 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
More than worth the call. It's urgent that you see a dr tomorrow morning. Even a plain cold that goes on more than 3 days should be checked at a dr.

Better safe than sorry.

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but being as ops q is aswered, what do you mean by a cold for three days? My toddler has had a cold for atleast a week! Everytime he catches a cold it takes his atleast two weeks to clear up, sometimes even longer. Is this a cause for concern?

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 8:06 pm
Yeah I see some kids who seem to constantly have a runny nose and no other problems. Maybe she meant to say fever? I think standard course of a cold is 7-10 days. I'd only be concerned if it keeps getting worse instead of progressing through the various stages of coldhood - e.g. DD who started with a runny nose and progressed to gloopy stuffy nose and will probably dry up completely over the next few days unless it goes to her ears or chest or something.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics