Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Growth hormone shots - need advice from experienced moms

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:47 pm
MY 7 year old dd recently started taking growth hormone shots. She says that putting the needle into her arm/leg etc isn't painful but that once the medicine goes in it is painful (the pain only lasts a few seconds). This has made her very resistant to the shots and it is a daily struggle in our home. Our MD says that she has a real medical need for this medication and that we must give it to her on a daily basis.

I am wondering if any experienced mothers out there have advice on giving these shots or suggestions of how to make it less painful (we have tried ice).

TIA

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:49 pm
Let her pinch the area which will receive the injection really hard. Then immediately inject the meds into that spot.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 4:26 am
There is one popular drug that is known to sting, we switched to a different one (bc we switched insurances) and it's been less of a problem. That being said, make sure the shot is room temp before you give it to her. Also, she needs to be as calm as possible beforehand, so I let my dd pick the exact spot she wants it to give her some control, I do quick visualizations with her if I see she's wound up or nervous (picture yourself on the beach playing in the sand, etc.) and one funny thing that has worked is to do the injection as if I'm giving her a hug- it calms her down and actually gives me better access.

It might still sting a bit but if she is as calm as possible the pain is bearable.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 2:43 am
Any other ideas? This is really becoming a huge stress and she becomes so resistant - it is taking over an hour each night to get this done.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 3:39 am
Call your nurse for ideas- but you sound very stressed, and if you are stressed she is going to be stressed and it's going to make it much scarier and can also become a power struggle. You need to feel ok with it, and that it's ok even if it hurts her for a moment, and eventually she will be able to handle it better. Right now you sound like you are in a negative cycle with her and you need to figure out how to break it- even if it means skipping the shot for a day or two here and there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics