Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When do you go to the doctor for a fever?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 10:07 am
Do you go the first day your child has a fever or what do you do?

If the fever doesn't go down with medicine or I see something else wrong, I go the first day, otherwise I go the second or third.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 10:42 am
Fevers are a good thing for the body! They are trying to cook off the offending virus/bacteria. My rule of thumb has been/ the doc agreed with me. I try to hold off on Tylenol unless he is miserable, we start off with a bath. The MD said if the babies mood/ energy does not improve with either Tylenol or a warm bath then that could be more of a reason for concern. I also check wet diapers and whether my baby is eating. You also want to see improvement over a few days/ or that Tylenol can bring down the temp. So last time my baby fever, which was two weeks ago, I didnt call MD for three days when he developed a rash. I knew he was fine but I wanted to run it by the Doc. They did not have me come in. So basically if my baby is eating, peeing, and I see some sort of improvement with either the bath or Tylenol I let it be. I am a nurse so I may be a bit more relaxed about these things but I must admit I was a basket case when he was sick.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 11:30 am
usually I wait three days, if the child continues to get worse or develops other concerning symptoms I take them to the dr. otherwise we do the rest/fluids thing.
but honestly? I rarely check temperature and usually when I do bring a child in to the dr its not because he has a fever but because of the overall picture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics